Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I have discussed this project in my product development thread. I have had these engineered by an industry resource and very happy with the design. These will adhere onto the OEM paddles and match the color/finish of the OEM paddle. They will be made out of aluminum and precision CNC machined. They contour and match the OEM design so will feel like the OEM piece but give you a better handful.

Price will be $250 but for any early commits, the price is $225 shipped. The turnaround will be approx. 4 weeks, so plan on March 1st as a ship date. If you would like a set, please "sign up" below so I can see the interest before moving to production. You don't have to commit money now, but if you will support this product please post below. I will be confirming other Porsche fitments, but it looks like all Macan's and any 17+ model year Porsche's.

Competition Shift Paddles - Intro Offer ($225 Shipped)
- catastrophe
- wndcttr
- GTLGTS
- Juce
- FSP
-

Please keep in mind these pictures are of a 3D model and are a printed part. They won't capture the actual finish because a 3D printer builds in layers.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Me too

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm interested, but a couple of questions:
- Do you ship to Canada?
- From the pictures, the side facing the driver seems to be ribbed and the back side smoother; is it supposed to be like this?
- Will you be putting the + and - symbols on the shifter?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm also interested, but would love to know how they attach to the current paddles, and whether or not they'll be easily removed and/or replaced without any damage to the paddle or extension?

·
Supporting Vendor
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm interested, but a couple of questions:
- Do you ship to Canada?
- From the pictures, the side facing the driver seems to be ribbed and the back side smoother; is it supposed to be like this?
- Will you be putting the + and - symbols on the shifter?
Yes, I can ship to Canada, depending on where, there could be a slight surcharge. Generally, the freight is in-line with the US, so usually not an issue.
No, it's because the printed part is made from a 3D printer so it builds in layers, certain geometry doesn't show up well like a flat surface. The face will be smooth to match the OEM look.
No intention of putting the +/- symbols on because they will already be exposed on the OEM paddle, to me it felt too redundant and trying to design for everyone usually means less is more.

I'm also interested, but would love to know how they attach to the current paddles, and whether or not they'll be easily removed and/or replaced without any damage to the paddle or extension?
My engineer hasn't finalized that yet but worst case, a 3M double sided adhesive, for the prototype he has some similar adhesive compound that was more flexible. They will be on there good, to remove, I think the best approach would be to remove the paddles from the steering unit and use a heatgun/blow dryer and the heat will soften the adhesion where you can pull it off and use a microfiber cloth to clean up any residue. We have this in mind, so trying to figure out a strong bond that also enables an easy removal. I'm sure there are some other tricks, I just tend to use a heatgun as they always are effective for this type of stuff. Ideally, it would be great to remove without having to remove the paddles. We are working on that, I mention removing them because you don't want to just blast hot air around all that leather and electronics. Both are metals, the extension being aluminum, so no risk to breaking them like a thin carbon fiber weave.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Very cool. I understand they are aluminum, but will the finish be bare machined aluminum, the same as the current paddles, or something else?

·
Supporting Vendor
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool. I understand they are aluminum, but will the finish be bare machined aluminum, the same as the current paddles, or something else?
It will match the OEM finish. We'll work to get them to look the exact same. I'm not sure if they will be powdercoated, metal finishing is out of my competency but the intent is to get the extenders the same color, gloss, finish, etc. as the OEM paddle so it looks factory.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Very cool Jon! Looking forward to seeing these.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@[email protected] Just my opinion, but I think this is the wrong approach. No matter how hard you work to make the finish match, the design, as shown is going to look too much like an add-on since the original paddle will simply sit inside the new one. If I were designing it, I would instead make a two piece unit that connects together to encapsulate the original paddle. Sort of like a hotdog bun around a hot dog if you can envision what I mean, or a clamshell. That way only the stem of the paddle with have a slightly different look. You could use a thin rubber inside to snug it, and have a cool looking screw at the top and bottom to hold the two pieces together. Then you wouldn't have to worry about them coming off.

Again, just my opinion. Seems like lots of people here like your design. And I certainly applaud you bringing it to market. But I don't even see the problem itself, the paddles are plenty big for me. So perhaps I am missing something.

·
Supporting Vendor
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@[email protected] Just my opinion, but I think this is the wrong approach. No matter how hard you work to make the finish match, the design, as shown is going to look too much like an add-on since the original paddle will simply sit inside the new one. If I were designing it, I would instead make a two piece unit that connects together to encapsulate the original paddle. Sort of like a hotdog bun around a hot dog if you can envision what I mean, or a clamshell. That way only the stem of the paddle with have a slightly different look. You could use a thin rubber inside to snug it, and have a cool looking screw at the top and bottom to hold the two pieces together. Then you wouldn't have to worry about them coming off.

Again, just my opinion. Seems like lots of people here like your design. And I certainly applaud you bringing it to market. But I don't even see the problem itself, the paddles are plenty big for me. So perhaps I am missing something.
We looked at doing that, the issue is the arm on the OEM paddle. It's very thin and looks awkward with a bulkier paddle going around the OEM paddle. It's hard to make it look flush with the points on the paddle arm. That's why we went very thin around the paddle and put most of the added material in the length to keep it looking OEM. Of course it will look aftermarket but I believe this way looks cleaner than the other. Thanks for the feedback, all feedback welcome. I'm not a product designer so doing this run is more trying to help provide a solution, it's not a viable business for me.

·
Supporting Vendor
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI - I confirmed fitment, these paddles will work with:

2015+ Porsche Macan
2017+ Porsche Cayman
2017+ Porsche Boxster
2017+ Porsche 911

The new Panamera isn't available yet but I assume these will work with the 17+ Panamera & Cayenne.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks great. Sign me up! Picked up my GTS today and was wondering today if longer paddles might feel. :nerd:

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Supporting Vendor
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any updates?
I was hoping to get a few more commitments but decided to move forward anyways to help out here. I'll update with an ETA shortly. These haven't gone to production yet, finalizing some things but I'd expect to have these ready in about 6 weeks or so fully finished. More to come soon! Thanks all for the interest and support!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts