Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody replaced this by themselves yet? My active shutters are stuck closed and the motor just whirls and whirls whenever I turn the car off.

Pulled the codes and it says there is a fault with the grill motor. Ordered the part on ebay brand new for $60, but I dont know where the darn thing is located at on the car!

Has anyone replaced this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Has anybody replaced this by themselves yet? My active shutters are stuck closed and the motor just whirls and whirls whenever I turn the car off.
I sounds like the motor is working, but the teeth on the 'drive' shutter is broken, or the teeth in the motor is stripped.

·
Registered
157 Posts
How do I know that the motor doesn't work? Do I have to pull the codes to be sure? I hear the motor whirling after I turn of the car but I haven't checked if the shutters are actually opening and closing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the pdf pictures of how to find and remove the motor! And yes It does sound like the motor is getting power and trying to do something, but the shutters stay closed. I tried putting it in sport mode (the vents automatically open when activated) and the vents stay shut. Clearly something is preventing it from opening. Whether it be the motor is stripped out, the vents are jammed, etc. I ordered the part and I'll get in there to see what's going on.

I noticed my oil temps were 20-30 degrees hotter than my coolant on long drives too. Took it into an indy shop that i trust and he said yeah it's the motor that failed. Itll cause the engine oil to be significantly higher than the coolant temp.

As for the noise it makes, it's just a loud whirring noise when the car gets turned off. It goes on for 20-25 seconds and is quite noticeable. It sounds like it tries to open the vents over and over again in 20-25 second intervals for 2-3 times then stops.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you for the pdf pictures of how to find and remove the motor! And yes It does sound like the motor is getting power and trying to do something, but the shutters stay closed. I tried putting it in sport mode (the vents automatically open when activated) and the vents stay shut. Clearly something is preventing it from opening. Whether it be the motor is stripped out, the vents are jammed, etc. I ordered the part and I'll get in there to see what's going on.

I noticed my oil temps were 20-30 degrees hotter than my coolant on long drives too. Took it into an indy shop that i trust and he said yeah it's the motor that failed. Itll cause the engine oil to be significantly higher than the coolant temp.

As for the noise it makes, it's just a loud whirring noise when the car gets turned off. It goes on for 20-25 seconds and is quite noticeable. It sounds like it tries to open the vents over and over again in 20-25 second intervals for 2-3 times then stops.
Thank you for the explanation! I will check mine today.

Oh, I forgot to ask: isn't this be covered by the warranty?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you for the explanation! I will check mine today.

Oh, I forgot to ask: isn't this be covered by the warranty?
It would be if you're still under warranty! I'm at 62k miles so I'm not under warranty anymore. Gotta do it myself or else the repair bill would be about $600-700. For $60 it's well worth the time to DIY! If you're out of warranty that is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm surprised it's not designed to have the shutters fail open in the event of motor failure, but I guess that wouldn't result in overheating and engine damage. /s

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm surprised it's not designed to have the shutters fail open in the event of motor failure, but I guess that wouldn't result in overheating and engine damage. /s
I wish it fail while it was open! Or atleast revert to that position in the event of failure. I wouldnt even replace it if the vents were open.

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
How do I know that the motor doesn't work? Do I have to pull the codes to be sure? I hear the motor whirling after I turn of the car but I haven't checked if the shutters are actually opening and closing.

Are you certain that the sound you're hearing after you turn the engine off is the motor for the
radiator shutters? The shutters will open & close depending on the temperature of the coolant. During this winter I
don't think I've seen them open at all, though they must open at some point in order to regulate the coolant temperature.

My Macan occasionally (depending on how it's been driven just before getting turned off) runs the
fan after I've shut the engine off. Also, regularly after shutdown the compressor runs lowering the
vehicle slightly.

You may be hearing either the compressor (although it stops after a few seconds) or, more likely,
the electric fan.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/168177-buzzing-noise-front-engine-while-engine-off.html#post2489693

I had mine replaced under warranty last December & the motor & the shutters/vanes are replaced as a single unit.

Invoice said: multiple fault codes for radiator shutter, R+R front bumper, R+R air ducts & replace & calibrate radiator shutters. Calibrate ACC.
FP #s :
95B-121-257-CY Vanes
WHT-004-935 Expander nut

{I looked up part 95B-121-257-CY only $132.69 (MSRP $183.02)
https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-vanes-95b121257cy }
(WHT-004-935 = $0.32)

It is the labor that would cost $$$$$

·
Registered
29 Posts
shutter

I would bring this to the dealer for diagnostics.
I had my motos get jammed up from driving in the nasty snowy and high salt/dirt road trips which threw a check engine light. The light stayed for a couple weeks (Porsche dealer was very busy for 2 weeks) and then I went away on business for 2 weeks. So when I got home, I went for a couple drives and magicly the check engine light went away and the louvers returned to functioning.

So bring it to the dealer. This will be a warranty.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I would bring this to the dealer for diagnostics.
I had my motos get jammed up from driving in the nasty snowy and high salt...

So bring it to the dealer. This will be a warranty.
OP has already stated that car is out of warranty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the replies. Interesting that you mentioned that the radiator vents need to be re calibrated? I'm hoping that is not necessary. Just something that they charge since its a warranty claim type of thing. I'll be tackling the job once i am off next Sunday.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. Interesting that you mentioned that the radiator vents need to be re calibrated? I'm hoping that is not necessary. Just something that they charge since its a warranty claim type of thing. I'll be tackling the job once i am off next Sunday.
Maybe the calibration is listed but not actually done just like adjust headlights. I'm sure Porsche techs could adjust headlights if they somehow got out of alignment but, when I asked my dealer if they actually use a grid wall to check the headlights they said no, when they're driving the car in to the service bay, they can tell if the headlights are out of alignment... and if they are, then they go ahead and use the grid.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe the calibration is listed but not actually done just like adjust headlights. I'm sure Porsche techs could adjust headlights if they somehow got out of alignment but, when I asked my dealer if they actually use a grid wall to check the headlights they said no, when they're driving the car in to the service bay, they can tell if the headlights are out of alignment... and if they are, then they go ahead and use the grid.
This is good information. My headlights are aligned correctly in correlation to each other, but they are a tad low ever since installing the lowering links. I wonder if you have to adjust the height through the computer they have.

Switched out the headlight bulbs for 5500k Osram CBI's a couple days back and didnt see any manual adjustment. Im hoping i dont need the PWIS to adjust this stuff lol.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Now june in this march thread.
Wife was complaining that her Air conditioning was not cooling.
Being blonde, I asked if she had the ac button on, or the a/c max.
She did. Still no cold air.
I popped the hood, motor running. Clicked the a/c button on and off. I could hear the a/c clutch engaging.
2016 CPO until 2021. But still expecting the worst.
Grill shutter doors, I don't know if it was the motor or the relay. But fixed the a/c for n/c. :)
No air conditioning. Check your grill doors are operating as designed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing and it is the louver motor for sure. I am able to manually open it in the motor shuts it but continues to try to close it past the closing point. Any update on what the fix was?

·
Registered
28 Posts
when I washed the 2015 Macan S today I noticed that after I turned off the ignition I heard some strange noise that sounded like the motor to these doors. The grill doors were open but every so often I could hear this motor. they stayed open. Very strange.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts