Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just joined. looking for advise,
I have an Itch for MACAN, need to scratch it :)

Few months ago, found 2018 GTS on ebay, Long Story Short-Price was tgtbt I won the auction, but it was scam. Since then, I start looking and not sure why I never considered Macan.
Probably #1. its more expensive than most mid priced range suv/crossover, #2. I always had bmw's, wife drove X5, always liked them, but few months ago, my wife's Alfa Stelvio was in body shop for few months, we had 4 cyl macan for rental. She really likes her Alfa because of the looks/Styling & handling, ( but I don't want to buy one, because lot of electrical issues) but when we visited La Auto show , she mentioned that she liked the Macan. So, we are about to end our lease with alfa in few months, been thinking about to replace it with Macan.
At this point I'm not surenif i should lease new S model or try to find low mileage GTS or S to buy. ?
Even though I'm in car service business, ( smog checks/service/repair shop, on most makes/models) Don't have too much knowledge about Porsche, I did some light service (brakes, service) but never got to know them. I know most cars now days are all about electronics, most cars quality went down over last few years. But not sure if Porsche's are in same category. What I hear that Porsche is different level in quality, fit/ finish are really good. What should I look for, any problem areas, what should I avoid?, Should I even consider 4 cylinder model Macan? If i choose to buy, is it worth to pay extra to buy a car with certified warranty? What is good price for 2018 GTS cars with less than 20K miles, or S cars? Any benefits if lease one than buy it later? i heard if you finance with Porsche you get some perks?
I'm sure I'll have 1000 other questions, but i want to start the ball rolling.

Looking forward to hear advise/suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Avo

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you are considering a GTS, you might want to test drive a Turbo as used they are not fetching much more than a GTS.

There is a much larger difference in power stepping up from a GTS to a Turbo versus an S to a GTS. A GTS engine is merely a S engine with different software, whereas the Turbo engine has a 20% longer stroke with provides more low end torque which is very beneficial in day to day driving.

We own both a GTS and Turbo, and while we love both, the GTS is a bit underpowered and is constantly shifting down to find power whereas the Turbo feels so effortless, and the GTS has considerable Turbo lag.

When they were new the price difference was so great many could not justify the Turbo's higher cost, but used you can take advantage of the fact that the previous owner has already absorbed the excess depreciation.

·
Premium Member
2017 Panamera Turbo
1,378 Posts
Turbo

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
We own both a GTS and Turbo, and while we love both, the GTS is a bit underpowered and is constantly shifting down to find power whereas the Turbo feels so effortless, and the GTS has considerable Turbo lag.
I find a fun factor in driving a slower precise car which makes driver effort a skill. On the other hand I also like a sledgehammer that goes whoosh ! That why I have both but I am not talking about Macans . All of them are SUVs . They are 2 ton high in the air vehicles .

It really comes down to driving both and picking what one likes .

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Looking forward to hear advise/suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Avo
I would never lease a Porsche . If you are looking at the Macan and considering the performance models (GTS and Turbo) and want to have a fun car which can fetch back decent resale then a low spec new GTS is the way to go .

I have owned 4 Macans (two Turbo , two GTS) . Ironically the one which cost me the least (a GTS bought after my custom order Turbo was crashed) was the one I drove the most miles , had enough fun with, and got back a decent amount on trade in .

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
A GTS engine is merely a S engine with different software....
This thread says otherwise....

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
You really need to start by driving a few Macans, and see which you like.
  1. Drive a base or S. If you like either of them, then buy one. They will be the cheapest.
  2. If the base/S is too slow, drive the GTS. If you like it, buy it.
  3. If the GTS is too slow, get the Turbo.
Yes, it's possible to find older low-option and/or higher mileage Turbos for less than a GTS, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be a better fit for you.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I find a fun factor in driving a slower precise car which makes driver effort a skill. On the other hand I also like a sledgehammer that goes whoosh ! That why I have both but I am not talking about Macans . All of them are SUVs . They are 2 ton high in the air vehicles .

It really comes down to driving both and picking what one likes .
Don't disagree. That's why we love both our Macans.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This thread says otherwise....

I read that entire thread as well as the similar ones that followed it, and it was subsequently shown many of the assertions about the GTS were carefully worded marketing hype. Not the first time Porsche's marketing people have been guilty of such a thing. No different with the PP versus the Turbo.

Not trying to bash the GTS as we own one. Just trying to accurately show what's really different about the GTS and what is merely purposely vague words.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Happy New Year all!

The problem with the more powerful (GTS or Turbo) is you can't actually drive them. What I mean is we don't (i don't) live in Europe and we are limited to how fast we can go. I have realized this after driving many fast cars in my life and never getting their full benefit, LOL. I realize this is true with any type or car/brand. I would follow Draper's advice, if the base or S drive nice, then go for it. If you still want a fine drive and premium car, base or S work fine. I have the base Macan (2019), which I love and it has plenty of pop/power. The S was 8k more here and I could not justify because I would barely use the extra power. Just MO.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Happy New Year all!

The problem with the more powerful (GTS or Turbo) is you can't actually drive them. What I mean is we don't (i don't) live in Europe and we are limited to how fast we can go. I have realized this after driving many fast cars in my life and never getting their full benefit, LOL. I realize this is true with any type or car/brand. I would follow Draper's advice, if the base or S drive nice, then go for it. If you still want a fine drive and premium car, base or S work fine. I have the base Macan (2019), which I love and it has plenty of pop/power. The S was 8k more here and I could not justify because I would barely use the extra power. Just MO.
Appreciate that many base owners are perfectly satisfied, but I would say that the sub 4 second time of my Cobb equipped Turbo does not exactly fit into the “problem” category.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I won't address the comparison of S/GTS/Turbo since others who are more knowledgeable already have. But as far as leasing new or buying used, I would say this. If you are flexible or not particular as far as color and options, then get a used vehicle, which will have already taken the "walk out the door" depreciation hit. You will get more for your money. If you are particular, and want to drive the car you pick out and design, then order a new one. It is not likely you will find your ideal car on anyone's lot, unless you want a base model or a lightly optioned one, and in a neutral (popular) color such as white or black. If buying used, the consensus seems to be to make sure it is CPO to have peace of mind. And when it comes to leasing, Porsche is generally not as competitive as BMW or other higher end car companies. On the other hand, my Porsche dealership said they often lease from a bank instead of thru Porsche because their rates are far more competitive. So be careful and ask. Finally, most people say that you rarely get your money back when piling on options, regardless of Macan model, so only order the options that you really want or need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate all the feedback/ advise. I know we need to start driving each sub model to know exactly which one to choose. I'm more interested to know if there are any known issue with each model. Its gonna be daily driver for my wife. Should we consider 4 cylinder, how reliable are those engines?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Happy New Year all!

That is true about having the opportunity to use all the HP and torque that is available. I got my Turbo three weeks ago today from a dealer about 1/ and 1/2 hrs. away. My three longest drives have been the trip home the day I bought it (in rush hour traffic) and a round trip back to the dealer to pick up the '03 Audi TT I left at the dealer (in pouring rain). None of the trip were real conducive to having some fun with the car. That being said, I have no second thoughts about going with the turbo. Just itching to use it. Planning on a trip to up to Maine (from the Philly areas) once the winter tires and wheels are in toward the end of the month. Probably would be heading up there next week if the wheels / tires were on.

·
Super Moderator
3,104 Posts
Turbo.

And, yes, you can use the power in day to day driving. That's what all the low end torque is for.
As noted above, with lal the available HP/TQ, the vehicle isn't always downshifting trying to stay
in the power band.

As far as getting to the 165 MPH rev limit, fuggedaboudit - ain't gonna happen...

Good luck!

?

·
Registered
900 Posts
+1 on going used. In addition to not taking the initial depreciation hit, its nice not to spaz over the first little road rash paint chip. I was in no rush and didn't plan on trading in or selling another vehicle so I had plenty of time to look. My main priorities were a Turbo, low miles, CPO, 2017 or 2018 and one of about three or four color schemes I was OK with. Once I got serious it took about six weeks to fine one I was really interested in. I was looking over a broad area also as there are fewer Turbos around..

·
Registered
306 Posts
That is true about having the opportunity to use all the HP and torque that is available. I got my Turbo three weeks ago today from a dealer about 1/ and 1/2 hrs. away. My three longest drives have been the trip home the day I bought it (in rush hour traffic) and a round trip back to the dealer to pick up the '03 Audi TT I left at the dealer (in pouring rain). None of the trip were real conducive to having some fun with the car. That being said, I have no second thoughts about going with the turbo. Just itching to use it. Planning on a trip to up to Maine (from the Philly areas) once the winter tires and wheels are in toward the end of the month. Probably would be heading up there next week if the wheels / tires were on.
Ahhh heading to Maine - definitely try the Airline Road from as there some wide open runs through miles of light traveled roads. The Airline Road rung from Bangor to Baring ME.

For a more scenic ride along the coast try Route 1 - Brunswick - Rockport - Ellsworth ME.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Having driven both a first gen Turbo and GTS with PASM... I'd say if you're looking for sightly more oomph in the seat A-B and don't care about getting too many or going overboard on the options, go Turbo. If you want something that feels every so slightly sportier, with a little more feel in the turns/ lower center of gravity with some packaged options and/or enjoy the blacked out wheel and accents... go GTS.

I know 2nd gen might have some different variables but most of this likely holds true. Either model route you go aren't that extreme in comparison from one to the other to be completely honest. You'll still be smiling ih all instances.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts