Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any idea what these vents are on black tips I got from across the pond? The black have these little vents and stock didn’t have any. Slightly diff sound.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Without seeing the former tips, I would guess that your new tips have somewhat of a double-wall design, and those vents are to ensure moisture can get out/burn off. My black exhaust tips have those same vents.

Like probably everyone else who has read and not responded, I am not sure.

Do your other tips have a double-wall design?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without seeing the former tips, I would guess that your new tips have somewhat of a double-wall design, and those vents are to ensure moisture can get out/burn off. My black exhaust tips have those same vents.

View attachment 244414
Yes the first pic is of my aluminum ones

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your first ones are a very different "double wall" design. You can see the daylight between the "walls", no need for special vents.
Ah got it. Wonder if should have originals Serra coated (spelling) or powder coated and put back on. Or doesn’t it even matter

·
Registered
700 Posts
Ah got it. Wonder if should have originals Serra coated (spelling) or powder coated and put back on. Or doesn’t it even matter
I painted the tips on the wife's Cayenne with rattle can high-temp black back in October. They still look great.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Have to agree! Ones I got were the glossy but I think both work.
Pretty sure this is what I used, trying to to stay away from flat black, since the trim pieces, and the wheels, are a satin black. I cleaned them (chemically), sanded with a light grit to scuff things up, cleaned again, and applied three light coats, with a couple of hours with the space heater (on oscillate) between each coat. I let the final coat "bake" over night. The space heater was really there just to keep the temps above 70.

Between the double-walls of the tips that will keep the strong heat away from the paint, the prep/paint work, and the type of paint, I don't expect it to flake off any time soon. However, I plan on a repaint session every two or three years to fix the chips that will happen regardless of how well it's painted.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I painted the tips on the wife's Cayenne with rattle can high-temp black back in October. They still look great.

View attachment 244420 View attachment 244421
This is a nice project. Could you provide the specs or the type of paint you used? Where did you get it?

Did you do any sanding before, or just applied on top?

I’m thinking about doing mine too.

·
Registered
700 Posts
This is a nice project. Could you provide the specs or the type of paint you used? Where did you get it?

Did you do any sanding before, or just applied on top?

I’m thinking about doing mine too.
Scroll up one from your post.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Ha! I see. Sorry… missed that one!

thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts

View attachment 244414
I agree as well. Without the slots, moisture will build up inside and be trapped. Kind of like condensation with a cold glass of water.

There also at the top so water from the catalytic converter won’t go through the slots to fill with fresh water.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts