Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Heres my Gen 2 Turbo collected Nov with everything gloss black - not a fan of mixing textures so stuck with gloss for consistency despite the warnings. Had gloss black grille on my 10 yr Audi and that looked fine. I actually started with the interior colour and built around that with my colour palette as Red, Black and Silver ...

Thanks for sharing, gorgeous ride! How have you found the gloss black side blades to hold up? They look so good!

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
133 Posts
I really like the gloss black blades - some have said it looks cheap but I actually think the matt version looks cheap as its the sort most manufacturers add to give a sense of ruggedness. See it on the VW T-Roc and it used to be on the wheel arches of the Honda Civic plus Citroen in Europe have it with big dimples on their SUV / crossovers.

Must say I took the picture above just after the first wash - I was really careful to clear any dust off first (I did actually use a fluffy duster on it before hand but I'm probably taking it to an extreme and the neighbours would probably think i'm cuckoo ...). Then warm water rinse, soapy wipe with a Gtechniq WM2 Microfibre wash mitt, final rinse with warm water.

I think it comes down to how much time you have to give them a regular polish and buff - they will get swirls sooner rather than later but if you do this regularly, they should hold up pretty well. I will need to spend quite a bit of time on this polish buff routine with all the other gloss bits on mine.

The matt black is easier to live with, but as is the case with all matt black plastic, eventually it starts to fade and needs a spruce up with either one of those back to black products or I saw someone recommend a marine protector spray product - forget the name now.

I've only had the Turbo since end of Nov so can't really say yet how they will hold up ...

Reactions: r_mcd

·
Registered
127 Posts
Can PPF be added to side blades (matte finnish) after-market. I am personally debating whether to get gloss black side blades (To match the gloss black mirror bottoms), from factory or wait till I see the matte Finnish against the satin spyder wheels and wrap the side mirrors in same matte finnish instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can PPF be added to side blades (matte finnish) after-market. I am personally debating whether to get gloss black side blades (To match the gloss black mirror bottoms), from factory or wait till I see the matte Finnish against the satin spyder wheels and wrap the side mirrors in same matte finnish instead.
I looked into wraps a bit as I was deciding what to do with the side blades. Regular vinyl wrap has a harder time adhering to matte/textured plastics, I assume it’s the same with PPF. But there are some specialized products that can do the trick one of them being 3M’s DI NOC. Here’s a link to it on Amazon for example. Short answer is yes, but with specialized products. That helped me stick with the matte finish, knowing I can wrap over it later if I want or retouch as others have suggested.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I've officially locked in gloss black components for my order, so will be liaising with my PPF installer for his thoughts on how the gloss black side blades would tolerate being covered too.

I'm most worried about whether the GTS in the side blades would come off too when the PPF is removed, but not sure if it's a sticker or ingrained/moulded plastic.

We shall see!

P.S. thanks everyone for weighing in. Feeling very excited about my final build.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
When is your build lock date? Hoping somebody else on the forum takes delivery of some soon for their take, as my factory build is April with delivery in Aus in July.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I really like the gloss black blades - some have said it looks cheap but I actually think the matt version looks cheap as its the sort most manufacturers add to give a sense of ruggedness. See it on the VW T-Roc and it used to be on the wheel arches of the Honda Civic plus Citroen in Europe have it with big dimples on their SUV / crossovers.
This was my feeling too; lots of matte black plastic around wheels etc. reminds me of off-road models a la A4 Allroad, etc..

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
133 Posts
This was my feeling too; lots of matte black plastic around wheels etc. reminds me of off-road models a la A4 Allroad, etc..
Suppose the other option is to go body coloured blades, again not a huge fan unless its on a darker colour. Personally if I was going body coloured I'd rather not have any side blades at all, they are a distraction to the eye particularly on lighter shades. Oh yeah forgot about the Audi ...

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
133 Posts
I've officially locked in gloss black components for my order, so will be liaising with my PPF installer for his thoughts on how the gloss black side blades would tolerate being covered too.

I'm most worried about whether the GTS in the side blades would come off too when the PPF is removed, but not sure if it's a sticker or ingrained/moulded plastic.

We shall see!

P.S. thanks everyone for weighing in. Feeling very excited about my final build.
I think the model logo is a decal, so it might come off. I've heard of others buying the decals and adding later ... Model Logo - Side Blades

Reactions: r_mcd

·
Registered
586 Posts
I’m surprised. Both our current VAG cars’ B pillars are quite swirly, wife’s in worse shape than mine. After I buffed mine, covered in Xpel.
Gave the car a wash yesterday and here are my B pillars with no treatment or coatings just a microfibre towel buff
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Shade Vehicle

That is a 2018 model with 100,000k on it. The side blades are more of an effort to keep looking sharp though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,

Some of you may be following along with my build deliberations for my 22 GTS that should be order locked during March. Thanks to the forum's help, I've decided to go with my heart and option chalk paint.

My build as it currently stands includes high gloss black roof rails and lower mirrors, with the normal matte black GTS grill and side blades. I was really happy with the way the car looked, and gloss black for the matte black bits didn't really cross my mind as necessary.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I've since found this video on YouTube of a guy taking delivery of a chalk 911 with the full scope of gloss black highlights:

I think it looks incredible.

Here are the differences between my current build and a proposed revision with all high gloss components.

Current:

View attachment 250136
View attachment 250137

Proposed:

View attachment 250138
View attachment 250139

You'll note the glossy front grill, lower side blades and the high gloss black GT wheels. Around the back I've also chosen gloss black for the model designation, etc. All up the changes add around A$5k to my build 😕

My questions are:

1. has anyone seen a the new style GTS grill optioned with high gloss black yet? if so, would you mind posting pics or linking me?

2. does the high gloss plastic hold up well enough to scratches, etc. over time or will it need protection?

3. should I just option the matte spiders, save $3k and maybe get them sprayed gloss or should I go whole hog? I do prefer the design of the spiders.

Optioning these cars is such an expensive exercise 😩

Thanks!

P.S. not a fan of gloss black handles, before someone gets in there.

nice!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

Not quite the exact spec of mine, but very, very close.

Looking like the gloss black and chalk combo was a win. Getting so excited!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts