Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my gas gauge gives me the warning and lights up orange when in fact I have between 5-3 gallons of fuel left.

It tells me I have 40 to 60 miles of driving. Then when I fill it, it only takes 15 to 18 gallons. Of a 22 gallon tank. That means I have approximately 22% to 13% fuel left when I'm being told to gas up. I know they are trying to be safe but this drives me nuts. The thing gets a terrible gas mileage of course in the first place, and no I did not buy it for mileage feature. But now, I'm driving around always calculating how much .....actual ....fuel I have left. I know I will burn myself sooner or later.

does anyone know if this can be adjusted somehow? To me, I don't want to be warned until I'm at 10% or less. Yes I know the warning is also based on my most recent mileage calculation, which is mostly city for me of course.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree. Filled up recently and it said 360 miles of range. Got on the highway for a 20 min cruise and it said 400 miles of range. Got off the highway and in 10 min of city driving I was down to 300 miles of range. And I had only driven about 30 miles total after fill-up.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have noticed that my gas gauge gives me the warning and lights up orange when in fact I have between 5-3 gallons of fuel left.

It tells me I have 40 to 60 miles of driving. Then when I fill it, it only takes 15 to 18 gallons. Of a 22 gallon tank. That means I have approximately 22% to 13% fuel left when I'm being told to gas up. I know they are trying to be safe but this drives me nuts. The thing gets a terrible gas mileage of course in the first place, and no I did not buy it for mileage feature. But now, I'm driving around always calculating how much .....actual ....fuel I have left. I know I will burn myself sooner or later.

does anyone know if this can be adjusted somehow? To me, I don't want to be warned until I'm at 10% or less. Yes I know the warning is also based on my most recent mileage calculation, which is mostly city for me of course.
Your location says it all (Seattle). Reset your mileage meter to zero. When it says 30 miles you are out of gas. 10 miles to the gallon is tops in the Seattle traffic chaos.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
So back to OP's original concern - it helps to know the fuel tank capacity - 2 gallons is a big difference. So far on my 2018 GTS, I let the low fuel light illuminate a couple of times and the gauge indicated 60 miles remaining which was "about" right. I filled up with 17 gallons so I figured about 3 gallons remaining at 20 mpg. So it seems to be working as it should but as an old pilot I don't often let the car get to a low fuel warning plus I don't want the fuel pump to be sucking the dregs of the tank.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is this another "feature"?

I note the capacity is 19.82 and 2.38 reserve. (That is a total of 22.20 gallons).

Then the manual reads..

If less than approx. 2.64 U.S. gallons (10 liters) of fuel remains in the tank on the Macan Turbo (Macan S: approx. 2.38 U.S. gallons (9 liters)) or the range on remaining fuel falls below approx. 30 miles (50 km), the warning “Mind remaining distance” appears on the multi-function display of the instrument panel when the ignition is switched on or the engine is running.

I will look closely next time because now I think there is quite a bit of fuel remaining. Does anyone know if the reserve is included in the stated capacity?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Is this another "feature"?

I note the capacity is 19.82 and 2.38 reserve. (That is a total of 22.20 gallons).

Then the manual reads..

If less than approx. 2.64 U.S. gallons (10 liters) of fuel remains in the tank on the Macan Turbo (Macan S: approx. 2.38 U.S. gallons (9 liters)) or the range on remaining fuel falls below approx. 30 miles (50 km), the warning “Mind remaining distance” appears on the multi-function display of the instrument panel when the ignition is switched on or the engine is running.

I will look closely next time because now I think there is quite a bit of fuel remaining. Does anyone know if the reserve is included in the stated capacity?
I am here to tell you I got scared to well past the point where Noah was putting his choice animals on board coming down the hill on the Coquihalla Pass with absolutely NO GAS showing. Urs and I were sweating bullets. When we coasted into Hope the gas cap gave a big sigh when we opened it. We are not going to push it that far again. It says 19.8 gallons and I think were there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am here to tell you I got scared to well past the point where Noah was putting his choice animals on board coming down the hill on the Coquihalla Pass with absolutely NO GAS showing. Urs and I were sweating bullets. When we coasted into Hope the gas cap gave a big sigh when we opened it. We are not going to push it that far again. It says 19.8 gallons and I think were there.
This thread reminds me....There is an hysterical episode of Top Gear from many years ago where the three have a challenge to take cars and attempt to drive across Europe up to Blackpool with only one take of gas.

https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-tv/one-tank-fuel-challenge-part-23-series-12-episode-4

I have run out of gas twice in my life. Once as a teen, then once following morning school drop off. The BMW at the time told me I had 17 or something miles left when I pulled out that morning, but I sat in line to drop the boys off so long I ran out when I made the turn out to the main street.

·
Registered
395 Posts
As a former pilot the fuel gauge is pretty important to me...you just don't coast to the side of the road when an aircraft runs out of fuel. With a new car I usually just test the first tank of gas to make sure the low fuel light works and thereafter I never get below 1/4 tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts