Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can they be turned off or are they active full time. The front parking sensors on my Audi & BMW can be manually activated on or off. Thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
Frustratingly, though, there's no way to activate the sensors and the cameras in one easy step when parking.

Unless you want to wait until they self-activate, you have to dig into the CAR menu, then a submenu, and finally select the option to manually activate them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Frustratingly, though, there's no way to activate the sensors and the cameras in one easy step when parking.

Unless you want to wait until they self-activate, you have to dig into the CAR menu, then a submenu, and finally select the option to manually activate them.
actually, the overhead console has a "P" button that defeats and recativates the front and back sensors as ghstudio previously mentioned. ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts

actually, the overhead console has a "P" button that defeats and recativates the front and back sensors as ghstudio previously mentioned.
That's not what I'm talking about. Sorry if it wasn't clear. That button disables the parking sensors. It doesn't turn on the sensors and camera when you want it to activate. There used to be a way to do this--map it to the diamond button--but you can't do that anymore.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks. I have a narrow 1 car garage and like to turn the sensors off as I enter/exit. Our SA said they were full time active. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I also have a narrow garage but leave them on because you never know what might be in my driveway when pulling out or if my chocolate Labrador might come running to greet me on the way in. Better safe than sorry even if it's a little annoying to hear the beeping.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I appreciate the parking sensors. We use them every day to gauge how far to pull into our garage, for instance, and I value them when parking elsewhere. And they're easy enough to turn off, with just a single overhead button press (when, for example, going through a -- gasp -- car wash, or stopping at a red light behind any number of late-model Fords).

HOWEVER,

I think they could use a dose of intelligence. For instance, when we start up the car in the garage, I see no reason for the beeping when the car is in Park. Similarly, I see no reason for the sensors to go off, warning of close objects IN FRONT, when, after firing up the car to leave the garage, we put the car IN REVERSE. That is, there is no way you're going to hit anything in front, if the car is in Park or Reverse, so why warn the driver? (And, of course, a similar situation exists with objects in the rear, when the car is in Park or Drive.)

I think if these directional smarts were added, it would take away a lot of the annoyance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts