Porsche Macan Forum banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
If your doors are rattling, you should be able to get that repaired under warranty. There were at least two other forum members that had to have this done.
don't waste your time. I have brought my previous Macan w Burm to dealer twice for this and they didnt fix it. What did fix it was paying an audio shop $700 to hushmat and foam mat the inside doors in the front. That's the only solution to fix it. The dealer doesn't know how, and its a design flaw from Porsche

Reactions: wishntoboutside

·
Registered
969 Posts
Just because an incompetent dealer did not know how to make the repair does not mean it is a factory design flaw. I am one of the forum members that reported having this repair made quite a while ago, although I will say I had to go to the dealer three times before it was fixed correctly. The first time they ordered some parts, the second time they realized they needed additional parts, but the third time it was fixed correctly. Furthermore I would point out very few Burmester owners have reported this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Both
Just because an incompetent dealer did not know how to make the repair does not mean it is a factory design flaw. I am one of the forum members that reported having this repair made quite a while ago, although I will say I had to go to the dealer three times before it was fixed correctly. The first time they ordered some parts, the second time they realized they needed additional parts, but the third time it was fixed correctly. Furthermore I would point out very few Burmester owners have reported this issue.
Probably because they don’t have the bass turned up, or listen to bass heavy music like electronic music. Both my Macans (2015 and 2017) w Burmester had the exact same rattle w bass. It’s a design flaw in the panel. It’s not insulated/padded enough.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Never an issue with mine in the last two years, and I definitely crank up the tunes with lots of bass. See my post #160 above (Judas Priest):cool:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
on a separate note, my 2015 Burmester was able to get louder than my 2017 Burmester. Probably the different software, but can anyone else confirm the 2017 only gets a little loud and then is not able to be turned up more? I want it a few notches louder sometimes but it cant get there. Volume levels off, then no matter how much i turn the knob to the right it stays constant, like its capped there. I told the dealer about it last service but nothing changed. All of my software is up to date.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
on a separate note, my 2015 Burmester was able to get louder than my 2017 Burmester. Probably the different software, but can anyone else confirm the 2017 only gets a little loud and then is not able to be turned up more? I want it a few notches louder sometimes but it cant get there. Volume levels off, then no matter how much i turn the knob to the right it stays constant, like its capped there. I told the dealer about it last service but nothing changed. All of my software is up to date.
I have a 2015 also, I cannot imagine maxing out the system. Does it do it no matter the input source? Might be a setting or something actually wrong. Have to say unless your ears are bleeding (which of course I hope never happens) that maybe its needs another look.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I have a 2015 also, I cannot imagine maxing out the system. Does it do it no matter the input source? Might be a setting or something actually wrong. Have to say unless your ears are bleeding (which of course I hope never happens) that maybe its needs another look.
I mainly just listen to Tidal and Spotify wired with my CarPlay, but let me try it today w satellite radio

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Guys I just found this thread after I had posted a new thread with some similar info regarding PCM 3.
I have copied the info below in case there are others that have PCM 3.x and want to play hi-res audio:

As a new Macan owner I was surprised to learn that despite the specifications claimed by Porsche in its manual, that the PCM 3.x would play and order WAV files , that it would not order them into the file structure that Porsche claim (artist/album/track). This rendered the fact that it would play files useless for practical purposes.

Note only 41.6MHz 16 and 24 bit plus 48MHz 16 bit WAV files would play in my testing.

Without wanting to open up a debate about the need for higher res files versus low quality MP3 etc files, there are audiophiles that can hear and appreciate the significant differences that do exist between lossless and compressed file types in a vehicle environment.

To discover after purchase that Porsche's claims are false and misleading was a major disappointment (and also contrary to this country's consumer law).

I was unable to find anything on the forums and other searches where anyone had solved the issue, so if there is something around already, you will now have 2 versions!

The service department at the local (company owned) Porsche dealer validated my concerns – PCM 3.x (and I am told but have not tested PCM 4.x) will not play and order WAV files either by USB, Jukebox or iPod reliably and consistently.
It is sometimes possible to have one or two artist/album/tracks work, but not much more than that. I suspect this is due to ID3 tags not being supported by the WAV format.
I have now spent many hours researching and testing and learned how to play high res files - and like many things it is a quite simple solution. So for those other frustrated souls....

1. Convert as necessary the files you require into AIFF/AIF file type. This is best done using a converter that has a tag editor such as Media Center so that you can ensure that all fields are correctly populated.
(AIFF/AIF is an uncompressed file type like WAV, but with ID3 tag support).

2. Using iOS 11.2.2 it is possible to play up to 192kHz 24bit files. I have not tested higher rates or bit depths, as I have not found higher hi-res files generally available as yet, (plus my home DAC will only play to this level).

3. Import the files by drag and drop from MC into iTunes.

4. I found that some album art would not transfer over for some reason, but that is easily solved within iTunes by drag and drop. This was very few albums.

5. Connect to the PCM via USB and go for it.

Note that the AIFF files will not play direct via USB or load onto Jukebox as the file type is not recognised – it must be done via an iPod device. I use my iPhone 7 plus.

There are lightning splitters and external drives available but I have not tested any as yet, so getting substantial additional storage whilst still charging should be easy.

Hope this helps a few other frustrated audiophiles out there.
Why don’t you just use Tidal and save the albums/download them to your phone to listen to? Plays Lossless quality and don’t have to jack with converting files and worrying about USB sticks or CDs

·
Registered
108 Posts
What would you recommend to a 78 year old retired airline/Navy pilot? Lots and lots of jet engines in my history.l I just don't think I am a candidate for the Burmeister. The Bose probably reaches as high as my personal physiology can go.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
What would you recommend to a 78 year old retired airline/Navy pilot? Lots and lots of jet engines in my history.l I just don't think I am a candidate for the Burmeister. The Bose probably reaches as high as my personal physiology can go.
you answered your own question!

Reactions: Shark

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
I'd recommend auditioning both the Bose and Burmester systems. Than you'll be able to determine for
yourself whether or not it's worth the extra $.

I've heard both - and there's a world of difference between the two installations!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I had it in my 2018 GTS and now that I’m having to drive my S5 as my daily I truly miss the burmester sound. The Bang and Olufsen System sucks compared to what I have gotten used to. Needless to say I am adding the Burmester to my new GTS build.

Reactions: Shark and vandit

·
Registered
317 Posts
I drove a 2017 Macan GTS today. Played around with Spotify premium (320kb) on the Bose. Sounded about what I expected, a Bose. Not great. I have Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamonds at my house on Pass Labs Monoblocks, and the sound is unbelievable. I got the upgraded stereo in my Bmw M5 and X5 with the Bang and Olufsen, which is ok, but am wondering if forking over 5 grand is worth it for the Burmester. I drive an hour a day, and only listen to high quality music (320kb to ALAC files). Opinions from those that have had it for a year or two? Regrets? Recommendations?
No regrets, I highly recommend the Porsche Burmester sound system if you're into sound. And if you have 802Ds, you must be!

It's actually so good that DVD-Audio sounds amazing on it (but don't get DVD-Video playback or it won't let you switch to the high-res track, it just defaults to the Dolby Digital/DTS track from the compatibility video part which is much lower audio quality - I learned this the hard way on my 911).

I also use 320kb stuff, but CDs sound better.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts