Porsche Macan Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi all.. Thought to start this thread to discuss the MY17 updated standard, Bose and Burmester options

Coming from a 2011 cayenne S with Bose, A 2013 cayenne GTS with burmester, a 2015 Macan S with burmester.. I now have a Macan GTS with Bose.
Here are some of my observations!

- The best sounding system was the cayenne Burmester, for some reason I didnt like the burmester on the macan to the extent that extended listening gave me ear discomfort!
- The Bose in my MY17 macan is simply amazing! I don't recall my first cayenne being that good.. I guess the updated wattage and number of channels are for real

- The "Linear" mode in the Bose menu now feels much more Full and natural compared to what I remember in the 2011 Bose

- The new PCM now accept FLAC files through USB even in 24 bit 192khz format, it also accept apple lossless format "ALAC"

- Overall I'm happy with the updated Bose setep in my MY17 Macan.. i don't think I'll regret not going for the Burmester.. The Bose is that good when set in linear mode!
I agree, I think the Bose is amazing and sounds better than my Harmon Kardon in my BMW. Pandora via bluetooth sounds incredible. If you have Pandora, create a station called "Background Music" the 3D audio effect sounds great

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks @vansmack and @catastrofe. Last night I reformatted the SD card, and loaded WAV, FLAC, and MP4 on it. Plopped the card in the GTS this morning, and all three formats played just fine. Not sure what my problem was yesterday, but all is good today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Excellent news!

I have noticed that sometimes the sequence on popping the card in, selecting the source and powering on the car can make a difference. Haven't quite figured it out myself.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
I agree, I think the Bose is amazing and sounds better than my Harmon Kardon in my BMW. Pandora via bluetooth sounds incredible. If you have Pandora, create a station called "Background Music" the 3D audio effect sounds great
@Christo1 Thank you for the many laughs your post brought me. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Guys I just found this thread after I had posted a new thread with some similar info regarding PCM 3.
I have copied the info below in case there are others that have PCM 3.x and want to play hi-res audio:

As a new Macan owner I was surprised to learn that despite the specifications claimed by Porsche in its manual, that the PCM 3.x would play and order WAV files , that it would not order them into the file structure that Porsche claim (artist/album/track). This rendered the fact that it would play files useless for practical purposes.

Note only 41.6MHz 16 and 24 bit plus 48MHz 16 bit WAV files would play in my testing.

Without wanting to open up a debate about the need for higher res files versus low quality MP3 etc files, there are audiophiles that can hear and appreciate the significant differences that do exist between lossless and compressed file types in a vehicle environment.

To discover after purchase that Porsche's claims are false and misleading was a major disappointment (and also contrary to this country's consumer law).

I was unable to find anything on the forums and other searches where anyone had solved the issue, so if there is something around already, you will now have 2 versions!

The service department at the local (company owned) Porsche dealer validated my concerns – PCM 3.x (and I am told but have not tested PCM 4.x) will not play and order WAV files either by USB, Jukebox or iPod reliably and consistently.
It is sometimes possible to have one or two artist/album/tracks work, but not much more than that. I suspect this is due to ID3 tags not being supported by the WAV format.
I have now spent many hours researching and testing and learned how to play high res files - and like many things it is a quite simple solution. So for those other frustrated souls....

1. Convert as necessary the files you require into AIFF/AIF file type. This is best done using a converter that has a tag editor such as Media Center so that you can ensure that all fields are correctly populated.
(AIFF/AIF is an uncompressed file type like WAV, but with ID3 tag support).

2. Using iOS 11.2.2 it is possible to play up to 192kHz 24bit files. I have not tested higher rates or bit depths, as I have not found higher hi-res files generally available as yet, (plus my home DAC will only play to this level).

3. Import the files by drag and drop from MC into iTunes.

4. I found that some album art would not transfer over for some reason, but that is easily solved within iTunes by drag and drop. This was very few albums.

5. Connect to the PCM via USB and go for it.

Note that the AIFF files will not play direct via USB or load onto Jukebox as the file type is not recognised – it must be done via an iPod device. I use my iPhone 7 plus.

There are lightning splitters and external drives available but I have not tested any as yet, so getting substantial additional storage whilst still charging should be easy.

Hope this helps a few other frustrated audiophiles out there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Guys I posted this on a new thread but thought it may be of interest:

As a new Macan owner I was surprised to learn that despite the specifications claimed by Porsche in its manual, that the PCM 3.x would play and order WAV files , that it would not order them into the file structure that Porsche claim (artist/album/track). This rendered the fact that it would play files useless for practical purposes.

Note only 41.6MHz 16 and 24 bit plus 48MHz 16 bit WAV files would play in my testing.

Without wanting to open up a debate about the need for higher res files versus low quality MP3 etc files, there are audiophiles that can hear and appreciate the significant differences that do exist between lossless and compressed file types in a vehicle environment.

To discover after purchase that Porsche's claims are false and misleading was a major disappointment (and also contrary to this country's consumer law).

I was unable to find anything on the forums and other searches where anyone had solved the issue, so if there is something around already, you will now have 2 versions!

The service department at the local (company owned) Porsche dealer validated my concerns – PCM 3.x (and I am told but have not tested PCM 4.x) will not play and order WAV files either by USB, Jukebox or iPod reliably and consistently.
It is sometimes possible to have one or two artist/album/tracks work, but not much more than that. I suspect this is due to ID3 tags not being supported by the WAV format.
I have now spent many hours researching and testing and learned how to play high res files - and like many things it is a quite simple solution. So for those other frustrated souls....

1. Convert as necessary the files you require into AIFF/AIF file type. This is best done using a converter that has a tag editor such as Media Center so that you can ensure that all fields are correctly populated.
(AIFF/AIF is an uncompressed file type like WAV, but with ID3 tag support).

2. Using iOS 11.2.2 it is possible to play up to 192kHz 24bit files. I have not tested higher rates or bit depths, as I have not found higher hi-res files generally available as yet, (plus my home DAC will only play to this level).

3. Import the files by drag and drop from MC into iTunes.

4. I found that some album art would not transfer over for some reason, but that is easily solved within iTunes by drag and drop. This was very few albums.

5. Connect to the PCM via USB and go for it.

Note that the AIFF files will not play direct via USB or load onto Jukebox as the file type is not recognised – it must be done via an iPod device. I use my iPhone 7 plus.

There are lightning splitters and external drives available but I have not tested any as yet, so getting substantial additional storage whilst still charging should be easy.

Having now solved the issue of the PCM not handling uncompressed files it was time to start on the hardware.
My car had the standard audio system as I was not happy with Burmester and Bose is very poor.
The first step was to replace the front and rear door speakers with some quality Focal Flax units as the standard Porsche speakers were really low quality.

FRONT: Focal Expert PS 165F3 - 3 way
REAR: Focal Expert PS 165FX - 2 way
Both were installed with additional sound deadening.

Sound was certainly improved, but not where I wanted it to be. Working on the principle that Porsche would likely use the same head unit for each of the three audio specs in order to reduce SKUs and streamline manufacturing - and therefore would have used high quality DAC(s) that the Burmester would need to produce anything reasonable (big call but seems to be correct at least as far as the DACs are concerned) - the amps were then the next focus:

Installed an Audison Prima 8.9BIT to look after the OEM speaker configuration.
Installed an Audison AP1D amp to drive the yet to be installed sub.
Both amps were located in the OEM amp location back to back.

A custom box and Audison DVC 10 inch sub which is a shallow mount speaker was installed in the spare wheel well.

The system was tuned using the Audison BIT Tune Software to suit. PCM Sound remains functional.

Once tuned up I tested the system against my Astell and Kern AK240 connected to AUX with an Audioquest cable and the differences were absolutely marginal to my ear other than the car system being a bit brighter – something that can of course be tuned out.
This is an outstanding result that I felt I should share with the other audiophiles out there that are frustrated by poor quality sound in their Macan.

The end result is a sound that is quite a lot better then Burmester and massively better than Bose (albeit at a higher cost over here):

Complete system cost was AUD$3,500 versus Bose at AUD$2,650 and Burmester at AUD$11,590.

Sorry guys but I cant seem to get the image uploads happening. If anyone wants them just PM me.

Hope this helps others frustrated with the poor sound quality in the Macan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know is impossible to "show" this over a post, but the opinions are so discrepant and is a lot of money for the Burmester. Im looking into ordering a new Macan and Im a real Audophile. BUT, almost 5000 USD is a lot of money.
I realize that the difference of money is not proportional to the gain in sound quality, but is there a "significant" difference between systems?

Review out there are subjective and variable.

If there is a significant difference, I have no problem spending the money, but if there is really no noticeable difference and Porsche offers this option just to get some more money out of customers, then obiously I would skip it.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
no doubt the Burm is far better ... if you care and appreciate the difference. Plenty of people don't and that's okay but I love it. I don't appreciate the Sport Chrono package and launch control and others would swear by it. Nice to have the choice to choose options.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Very happy with my system. A first it almost seemed like to much base but I got used to it. The additional setting are nice but car has to be stationary to go in live modes and things. The sound is amazing. I would ask you local dealer if they have any car with it to get a general idea.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
You describe yourself as a "real audiophile", and that says it all. If you have any doubt about the Burmester just find a new or used Macan with one and have a "test listen". Not sure where you are located but you are welcome to listen to mine if you happen to be close by. I'm in northern/central New Jersey.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know is impossible to "show" this over a post, but the opinions are so discrepant and is a lot of money for the Burmester. Im looking into ordering a new Macan and Im a real Audophile. BUT, almost 5000 USD is a lot of money.
I realize that the difference of money is not proportional to the gain in sound quality, but is there a "significant" difference between systems?

Review out there are subjective and variable.

If there is a significant difference, I have no problem spending the money, but if there is really no noticeable difference and Porsche offers this option just to get some more money out of customers, then obiously I would skip it.
Thoughts?
The difference is absolutely noticeable in the Macan. If you're an audiophile you already know that $5k is not actually that much to spend on audio gear, and it's worth spending it on the Burmester upgrade. It's rather funny that this is probably the cheapest way one can actually own anything with the Burmester brand.

It's very good all around but DVD-A reproduction is rather amazing.

The difference from the BOSE is so drastic that for me even in the 911 the Burmester was a must-have, and the 911 is nowhere as quiet as the Macan, nor is the 911 Burmester as good sounding.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a 2019 with the Burmester and I feel it could be better in a couple ways. For the 2019+ there is no cd or dvd player. I'll confess that I haven't tried lossless formats yet on my sd card, but most of my mp3's are 320 or 256. I use Spotify Premium as well. I wish there was still a cd\dvd player...

My other complaint aside the missing cd\dvd... is that I don't think Porsche has done enough in the doors to handle the power output of the Burmester... the inside of my doors rattle from the bass... if I apply pressure against the door it seems to go away. I think they need to use extra deadening material, and better secure the interior of the doors to handle the power.

If I were more brave I might have started with the base audio system, and then spent money at an audio shop to do a custom build out.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You describe yourself as a "real audiophile", and that says it all. If you have any doubt about the Burmester just find a new or used Macan with one and have a "test listen". Not sure where you are located but you are welcome to listen to mine if you happen to be close by. I'm in northern/central New Jersey.
Genuinely curious if anyone actually gets in the car and play lossless songs at full volume?
I know that quite a few people on this forum seem to be older, so hearing has to have gone down over the years (sorry).

I have Bose and very content with it, songs usually played through compressed media such as Spotify, Sirius, Youtube even and the base kicks, sounds very loud and comfortable.
I love my music, had a Bose on an Audi A6 before and that was terrible compared to the Macan.

Is it the loudness that's not enough with Bose? If I play any one of the generic new rap songs and my whole car vibrates which is more than I can say for the Audi system where only the trunk was thumping.
I guess if you try to relive an old concert I could see it struggle with, otherwise I'm always trying to read on this to see if somebody will describe a specific feature with Burmester rather than it sounds different.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I am no audiophile, but for me it’s still very easy to recognize the differences in clarity, accuracy, and lack of distortion.

I was not planning to get a Macan with Burmester, until I happened to sit in one and experienced the difference.

Nothing particularly bad about the Bose, and admittedly the upgrade to the Burmaster is very costly. If audio quality is of low or moderate importance to you, there’s no need to spend thousands more.

If you think the Bose is good enough, my advice is to definitely not try a test listen with the Burmester. Because you may turn out like me, unable to resist.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a 2019 with the Burmester and I feel it could be better in a couple ways. For the 2019+ there is no cd or dvd player. I'll confess that I haven't tried lossless formats yet on my sd card, but most of my mp3's are 320 or 256. I use Spotify Premium as well. I wish there was still a cd\dvd player...

My other complaint aside the missing cd\dvd... is that I don't think Porsche has done enough in the doors to handle the power output of the Burmester... the inside of my doors rattle from the bass... if I apply pressure against the door it seems to go away. I think they need to use extra deadening material, and better secure the interior of the doors to handle the power.

If I were more brave I might have started with the base audio system, and then spent money at an audio shop to do a custom build out.

Just my two cents.
If your doors are rattling, you should be able to get that repaired under warranty. There were at least two other forum members that had to have this done.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am no audiophile, but for me it’s still very easy to recognize the differences in clarity, accuracy, and lack of distortion.

I was not planning to get a Macan with Burmester, until I happened to sit in one and experienced the difference.

Nothing particularly bad about the Bose, and admittedly the upgrade to the Burmaster is very costly. If audio quality is of low or moderate importance to you, there’s no need to spend thousands more.

If you think the Bose is good enough, my advice is to definitely not try a test listen with the Burmester. Because you may turn out like me, unable to resist.
I had the same experience. Rather than listen to subjective comments, just try a Macan with Burmester in person! Let you own ears tell you the difference. Then you can decide if it's worth the price of admission to you. For some it will be, and for other's not.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Just listen to Judas Priest "You've Got Another Thing Coming" from the Priest...Live! album. Then you will understand:cool:

Reactions: TripleL
141 - 160 of 176 Posts