Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Read through the comments here, most of you guys are using USB stick or SD card to store your music and direct play on the system. Does anyone here try to connect with an iPod and using lineout cable to connect to either USB or AUX? If yes, how does that sound? Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi all,

Read through the comments here, most of you guys are using USB stick or SD card to store your music and direct play on the system. Does anyone here try to connect with an iPod and using lineout cable to connect to either USB or AUX? If yes, how does that sound? Thanks.
I connect my iPod using USB cable and it sounds great. Since the signals are digital, there should not be any degradation regardless of connection.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi all,

My Macan Turbo has two SD slots, on either side of the SIM and below the CD slot I did additional tests just a few hours ago and WAV sounds excellent but you do not get album art !

The iPod plugged into USB slot in the center console works perfect. Correct album art shows and you can spin past album covers on the Macan dash mounted touch screen much like using an iPad. I have not tested a USB memory stick but suspect it would have to be formatted to file that works with Car Play. So far that appears to be WAV as direct play or AIFF via iPod.

I did not test MP3 with SD card but assume it would work. I dislike what MP3 does to music so avoided that.

I noticed today that Amazon has a Transcend SD card in both 128GB and 256GB. That's a lot of space for music, even if ripped as WAV since the Macan has two memory slots. I plan on using both memory slots plus my iPod.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Ok, lots of thrashing here.

When an iDevice is plugged in to the PCM, the DAC in the iDevice does the decoding, so any file and metadata (art and title and artist) that works in the apple system is decoded, in the iDevice, and played via the PCM.

When you plug an SD card the PCM does the decoding via its own DAC. The PCM manual should list the acceptable file types, and and resolution limitations. (I'm aware that the PCM 4.0 is brand new, and manual may be lacking) Some files will be playable via an iDevice but will not be playable via SD Card. Different electronics are being utilized in each scenario.

I messed with AIFF files a year or 2 ago, and learned that both the apple AIFF, and generic WAV, formats have lack of a standardized metadata setup. There can be metadata attatched to them, but it won't be recognized by all systems.

You may be unable to use the 2 uncompressed lossless formats and get album art to show with the SD card.

Has anyone had trouble with the higher capacity SD Cards?

Can you plug in a USB drive in the armrest and play music files from it? There are some great SSD drives out there now.

·
Registered
253 Posts

When an iDevice is plugged in to the PCM, the DAC in the iDevice does the decoding, so any file and metadata (art and title and artist) that works in the apple system is decoded, in the iDevice, and played via the PCM.

When you plug an SD card the PCM does the decoding via its own DAC. The PCM manual should list the acceptable file types, and and resolution limitations. (I'm aware that the PCM 4.0 is brand new, and manual may be lacking) Some files will be playable via an iDevice but will not be playable via SD Card. Different electronics are being utilized in each scenario.

I messed with AIFF files a year or 2 ago, and learned that both the apple AIFF, and generic WAV, formats have lack of a standardized metadata setup. There can be metadata attatched to them, but it won't be recognized by all systems.

You may be unable to use the 2 uncompressed lossless formats and get album art to show with the SD card.

Can you plug in a USB drive in the armrest and play music files from it? There are some great SSD drives out there now.

Pretty much what I found experimenting, and stated in my post. So far with SD cards, WAV works and sounds best but takes up the most file space and does not attach Metadata such as album art.

As for SD cards, I have not tried larger than 64GB. You're right, there are some great options for SD cards, I found some large ones for cheap at Amazon.

AIFF sounds better via iPod than MP3 but admit I have not compared MP3 with AAC which is supposed to be better than MP3 and maintains Metadata.

I'm going to forgive WAV inability to produce album art and be grateful for better quality sound. I hope Apple releases a new iPod with increased capacity, say 256 GB. That would hold enough music even ripped via AIFF and provided a sizable library with pretty close to maximum quality sound for options applicable to Macan.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@albertporter I believe @bones13 is suggesting an SSD portable drive vs. an SD card. I hadn't thought of trying that. You could get 1TB for just over $200 or 2/4TB if you feel like going crazy. I wonder if it would work? Would likely depend on the power draw, although that could conceivably be overcome using a 12v adapter with a dual USB dongle.

That would be a ton of space even for WAV.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

@albertporter I believe @bones13 is suggesting an SSD portable drive vs. an SD card. I hadn't thought of trying that. You could get 1TB for just over $200 or 2/4TB if you feel like going crazy. I wonder if it would work? Would likely depend on the power draw, although that could conceivably be overcome using a 12v adapter with a dual USB dongle.

That would be a ton of space even for WAV.
Page 43 of the PCM manual (for my 2015 Macan) suggests SSDs might not work because of their power draw, although it doesn't appear to rule them out completely either.

USB devices that require the installation of special drivers cannot be connected.

The use of a USB hub is not permitted.

Due to the rate of development of the USB media market, system compatibility with all memory sticks and MP3 players cannot be guaranteed.

USB devices with increased power requirements (e.g. external hard disks) may not be used on the USB interface in some circumstances.

It is recommended not to leave USB devices in the vehicle for long periods of time as extreme ambient conditions (temperature, humidity) can occur in vehicles.

Even with the extra storage capacity though you might still bump into the 10,000 limit for files (again, at least for 2015 Macans).

@bones13 , I use 128GB and 256GB USB sticks in my Macan so I'd guess SD cards up to at least 256GB would work in your 2017 car.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
So, get a few 256 USB sticks, and put a different mood on each one. Sounds good.

I listen to books on tape a lot via an iPod, probably stick with that convenience, and put FLAC files on USB sticks. Unless they put out a higher capacity iPod.

I used to have one of the 160g ones with a spinning hard drive in a BMW 128i. There was a small velcro pouch for it under the arm rest, and it used a "Y" cable with both a USB connector, and a regular mini jack. That system did full decoding in the iPod, which output analog to the auxiliary port directly, but supplied power and some control via the USB plug. That classic iPod had minimal battery life at the end, and got dropped one too many times.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Hi all. Got my 2015 new Macan Turbo demo with Burmester Friday. I'm back from vacation tomorrow night and will be able to give a review compared to my BMW M5 and X5 Bang and Olufsen later this week. Look forward to testing out the beast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Definitive Report on PCM 4.0 Audio Capabilities

Gentlemen - I picked up my new Macan GTS in Santa Barbara on Saturday and put 700 miles on it over two days, getting home to Sedona, Arizona. (Respecting the break in guidelines, of course.) And I have great news to report on both the new 2017 PCM and on the Burmester audio system...

Firstly, I can confirm that the NEW PCM DOES INDEED ACCEPT high res FLAC files (up to 24 bit depth and 192 kHz sampling rate on both SD cards and on USB stick, complete with artwork. And assuming the underlying recording is of excellent quality, the files play back beautifully. Clearly, some recordings are better made and/or mastered than others, so not all high res FLAC files you play sound equally good. But the system can handle these files beautifully. THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT IT ACCEPTS UP TO 24/192 HIGH RES FILES.

Secondly, I can confirm -- much to my surprise and delight -- that the new disc player is a true "multi format" high res disc player. By that I mean it plays standard CDs (16 to 24 bit), high res DVD audio discs, AND IT ALSO PLAYS SACD discs at FULL FIDELITY!! (I am well aware that most SACD discs are actually "hybrid" discs that contain both the SACD layer and a 16 bit / 44 kHZ standard CD layer. I CAN ASSURE YOU ALL THAT THE NEW PCM IN MY 2017 MACAN GTS PLAYS THE HIGH RES SACD LAYER! I have a large investment in SACD discs for my home system, to supplement the 4,000+ vinyl records I play regularly. SO I CAN PLAY ALL MY SACD COLLECTION IN FULL FIDELITY IN MY NEW MACAN GTS ON THE BURMESTER. This is a truly amazing discovery...

Finally, while I expect the Burm to "burn in" over the first 100 hours our so of playing -- and to improve significantly during that time -- the system already sounds better than any car hifi I have ever heard. Simply mind-blowing! It is, for any audiophile, the single most important option you can buy on your new Macan.

Good luck, and happy listening!
Portriga

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I ripped a few CD's to FLAC format, saved them to my computer (network NAS drive actually), copied them to 64gb SD card, then plugged the card into one of the SD slots ('17 GTS September build with nav and connect+). I get the message "No Readable Files Found". Reading through this string, I see others are using FLAC on SD cards on their PCM 4.0 Macans. I figure I'm doing something wrong, and I think it may be in the conversion process, but not sure what it might be. I ripped the files using standard Windows Media Player. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I ripped a few CD's to FLAC format, saved them to my computer (network NAS drive actually), copied them to 64gb SD card, then plugged the card into one of the SD slots ('17 GTS September build with nav and connect+). I get the message "No Readable Files Found". Reading through this string, I see others are using FLAC on SD cards on their PCM 4.0 Macans. I figure I'm doing something wrong, and I think it may be in the conversion process, but not sure what it might be. I ripped the files using standard Windows Media Player. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
There's no need to rip CDs in FLAC. CDs are already compressed at 16/44. The best you can do is lossless, to preserve the 16/44. Ripping the CDs as FLAC won't make them 24-bit.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There's no need to rip CDs in FLAC. CDs are already compressed at 16/44. The best you can do is lossless, to preserve the 16/44. Ripping the CDs as FLAC won't make them 24-bit.
FLAC and bit depth aren't really related. FLAC is simply the format, whether 16 bit or 24. Ripping as FLAC ensures the file is lossless, just like the original, and is not a compressed (lower resolution format) like MP3.

·
Registered
410 Posts
FLAC and bit depth aren't really related. FLAC is simply the format, whether 16 bit or 24. Ripping as FLAC ensures the file is lossless, just like the original, and is not a compressed (lower resolution format) like MP3.

Thanks for the update. CD quality is good enough for me in my Macan, and FLAC files are about 1/2 the size of WAV files so save a bit of space.

But why won't my FLAC files play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks for the update. CD quality is good enough for me in my Macan, and FLAC files are about 1/2 the size of WAV files so save a bit of space.

Have you upgraded to the newest version of PCM? I don't know if the prior version supports FLAC or not, but apparently the latest version does. If you're on the latest version and FLAC files won't play, I'd suspect something went wrong with your ripping. I won't take delivery for another 2 weeks, so I can't test anything. Plus, I just converted all 40,000 of my music files from FLAC to ALAC so I can use iTunes for playback.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have you upgraded to the newest version of PCM? I don't know if the prior version supports FLAC or not, but apparently the latest version does. If you're on the latest version and FLAC files won't play, I'd suspect something went wrong with your ripping. I won't take delivery for another 2 weeks, so I can't test anything. Plus, I just converted all 40,000 of my music files from FLAC to ALAC so I can use iTunes for playback.

Picked up our Macan a bit over 3 weeks ago (built Sept 6) and I believe it has the latest version.

I'll try WAV and MP3 files to see if these will read.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmmm... Learned quite a bit as I perused this thread, thanks all. I have a modest home theater room but nothing street of dreams, maybe 25k in it counting gear, treatments, furniture, etc. I'm moderately well read on home theater but clearly have well below the knowledge of some folks here. That all being the case the only thing I wanted to add is that the question isn't a matter of Bose or Burmester for many of us, it's some fraction of the entire option list up against a check in the Burmester box. I want it no questions asked, mo stereo is mo better but for me the Burmester cant outweigh the options it would displace in my limited income world. I wish it were otherwise. Not too worried though, the motor plays the music I value the highest when in my car. I usually only turn on the stereo when in cruise control mode on the freeway with any car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you have multiple file types on your USB stick/SD Card?

The reason I ask is to determine if it's just the FLAC files or if it's not reading the drive at all.

My MY17 PCM4 definitely supports FLAC, both on the SD Card and from the USB Drive (and even copied to the Jukebox).

In order to troubleshoot - I would put one album in MP3 format on the drive and one album in FLAC to see if both are recognized. If neither are recognized, then your problem is not the file type. If the MP3 is recognized, but your FLACs are not, then we'll know it's file type.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do you have multiple file types on your USB stick/SD Card?

The reason I ask is to determine if it's just the FLAC files or if it's not reading the drive at all.

My MY17 PCM4 definitely supports FLAC, both on the SD Card and from the USB Drive (and even copied to the Jukebox).

In order to troubleshoot - I would put one album in MP3 format on the drive and one album in FLAC to see if both are recognized. If neither are recognized, then your problem is not the file type. If the MP3 is recognized, but your FLACs are not, then we'll know it's file type.
Also, try different size SD cards. I've had issues with 64GB cards in the past (in both Jeep and Toyota). 32GB cards worked just fine.

121 - 140 of 176 Posts