Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a 2017 Macan GTS today. Played around with Spotify premium (320kb) on the Bose. Sounded about what I expected, a Bose. Not great. I have Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamonds at my house on Pass Labs Monoblocks, and the sound is unbelievable. I got the upgraded stereo in my Bmw M5 and X5 with the Bang and Olufsen, which is ok, but am wondering if forking over 5 grand is worth it for the Burmester. I drive an hour a day, and only listen to high quality music (320kb to ALAC files). Opinions from those that have had it for a year or two? Regrets? Recommendations?

Reactions: RJMcInnis

·
Registered
253 Posts
I drove a 2017 Macan GTS today. Played around with Spotify premium (320kb) on the Bose. Sounded about what I expected, a Bose. Not great. I have Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamonds at my house on Pass Labs Monoblocks, and the sound is unbelievable. I got the upgraded stereo in my Bmw M5 and X5 with the Bang and Olufsen, which is ok, but am wondering if forking over 5 grand is worth it for the Burmester. I drive an hour a day, and only listen to high quality music (320kb to ALAC files). Opinions from those that have had it for a year or two? Regrets? Recommendations?
Congrats on the home system, I have Focal Grande EM and powered by ARC REF 250 or Allnic M3000 MK2.

Like you I love great sound but would have a hard time investing in Burmester even if it sounds better than factory system.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Congrats to both of youse on the home systems.

I have an AM radio at home that sounds great and I too would be hard pressed to invest in the Burmester. ;)
@WHT TGR listens to his music over morse code. It's truly foot tapping.
@thkemp has a Pioneer 8 track in his LeBaron with vinyl roof that's asskickin' ;) @K-A listens to the sweet sounds of the air suspension farting and loves it ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
@vandit
I have the Bose in my 911 GTS...but it's only a "so so" system IMHO ...so I happily upgraded this time when I saw the Burmester offered in the Macan GTS. I also demo'd the Burmester in a showroom Macan and there is NO COMPARISON to a Bose (to my ear's taste)

...but is the Burmester worth 5k more? That opinion will vary with audio enthusiasts but probably most would say no. However, (in the true Porsche tradition) "it really is only a mere 5k more on a nearly 100K car", right? ;)

Anyway, unless you are a total (music) nut like me, you'll probably be just fine with the Bose! :))

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Congrats to both of youse on the home systems.

I have an AM radio at home that sounds great and I too would be hard pressed to invest in the Burmester. ;)
@WHT TGR listens to his music over morse code. It's truly foot tapping.
@thkemp has a Pioneer 8 track in his LeBaron with vinyl roof that's asskickin' ;) @K-A listens to the sweet sounds of the air suspension farting and loves it ;)
I have got to come clean. After many years of reliable service and great sound the unit had a track fail and now the Pioneer in my 1982 Chrysler Le Baron 2.6 L with vinyl roof is operating as a 7 track. Sounds almost as good and saves a little energy to boot.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Years ago, I once had one of my early 911's fully done with a significant system upgrade and wound up with magnificent sound! One day my young kids and I while tooling through town just thoroughly jamming to some early Santana - or it might have been the remastered gold CD of Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"....

By chance, I looked up and saw a fire truck coming pretty **** close to t-boning my car. NEVER heard the siren... Thanked ALL the powers that be for saving my children!

Since that day, I've considered that the greatest sound as no more than an option that should not be so good as to distract me from job number one, safely driving the car.

I just simply wonder why it's such a big deal in a fast, capable, sports (not-luxury) vehicle?

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@vandit I have had my MT with Burmester a bit over a year. If the Bose bothers you, then I absolutely recommend getting the Burmester. If you don't, you will likely regret it each day. That will sour your drive.

It is miles ahead of the Bose system, no comparison at all.

The Burmester has the same crisp clear upper tonal range that B&W is known for. Honestly the entire range is well represented, unless you need over the top bass, which it doesn't sound like you do.

I do have one reservation, and it is a big one. There is no "Driver Focus" setting. I have no idea why they don't have one, since clearly they measured for it. Balancing to the left is not the same, as I am sure you understand.

But even with that, I would absolutely order it again.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@vandit I have had my MT with Burmester a bit over a year. If the Bose bothers you, then I absolutely recommend getting the Burmester. If you don't, you will likely regret it each day. That will sour your drive.

It is miles ahead of the Bose system, no comparison at all.

The Burmester has the same crisp clear upper tonal range that B&W is known for. Honestly the entire range is well represented, unless you need over the top bass, which it doesn't sound like you do.

I do have one reservation, and it is a big one. There is no "Driver Focus" setting. I have no idea why they don't have one, since clearly they measured for it. Balancing to the left is not the same, as I am sure you understand.

But even with that, I would absolutely order it again.
Thanks for the feedback from an actual owner. Really appreciate it. I read on here the 2017 models have a option now on the Burm to focus on areas in the cabin. Have you read this? Might clear up that issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the feedback from an actual owner. Really appreciate it. I read on here the 2017 models have a option now on the Burm to focus on areas in the cabin. Have you read this? Might clear up that issue.
Hi, I played with the 2017 Burmester at dealers and I could guide the sound focus on the display with my finger tip around the car (I don't know how accurate the system is, but at least on the display I could point almost everywhere in the car), the display had a really nice and new detailed picture of the cabin etc (also Bose has the same new graphics with the new PCM).
Maybe someone else with more thorough experience could comment on the matter, I just sat there for two minutes.
And I ordered Burmester even before this brief encounter.

I suggest to watch some additional stuff about Burmester from Youtube, it's really impressive what they do and how much their other products really cost - the car audio seems like a real bargain after seeing that :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Years ago, I once had one of my early 911's fully done with a significant system upgrade and wound up with magnificent sound! One day my young kids and I while tooling through town just thoroughly jamming to some early Santana - or it might have been the remastered gold CD of Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"....

By chance, I looked up and saw a fire truck coming pretty **** close to t-boning my car. NEVER heard the siren... Thanked ALL the powers that be for saving my children!

Since that day, I've considered that the greatest sound as no more than an option that should not be so good as to distract me from job number one, safely driving the car.

I just simply wonder why it's such a big deal in a fast, capable, sports (not-luxury) vehicle?

Agree on the safety issue, but I ordered Burmester, so I could enjoy music also with a more quiet volume. I have Bose now, and I seem to turn it too loud to get the proper feeling with some songs, with Burmester it's always juicy :)

But it's not a big deal of course.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@vandit I have read that, but not seen it yet. That would really be a big improvement.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have not had the Burmester for a year yet, but I feel it was worth it and I typically only drive 1/2 hr a day and sometimes a lot on weekends just to get out and enjoy. I like the sound quality by this stereo and for the cost, it is actually quite a good buy. There is just a richness to the sound produced.

The reason I feel this way comes down to youthful projects back in the day when I owned a hatchback and installed an aftermarket stereo. Not to get into the detailed spec's of the system it retailed for a bit less than the Burmester option cost today and I don't even have to wire the car, build the crossover electronics, and pull and swap the existing speakers in the car. This cost was back in the 80's and today accounting for inflation would be quite a number and this is why I feel that it is good value.

It will be for you to decide on the value of this option as each person is different. My wife's Macan has only the base stereo and she loves it. I however love the Burmester so I have it on mine.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Congrats on the home system, I have Focal Grande EM and powered by ARC REF 250 or Allnic M3000 MK2.

Like you I love great sound but would have a hard time investing in Burmester even if it sounds better than factory system.
You two should hook up. Albert has by far the finest audiophile sound system I have had the pleasure of listening to for over 20 years. Hope he likes the Mac because I'm going to take a lot of heat if he doesn't! Got a date yet, AP?

·
Registered
253 Posts
You two should hook up. Albert has by far the finest audiophile sound system I have had the pleasure of listening to for over 20 years. Hope he likes the Mac because I'm going to take a lot of heat if he doesn't! Got a date yet, AP?
Looks like I will have to wait, dealer estimates July 8. I'm lucky the Porsche dealer locked value on my 2015 Z06 Stingray, otherwise I would be chewing my nails wondering how much of a hit I'm going to take by waiting that long.

On the Burmester, I've heard them in home system and in a Porsche. No question it's better than Bose but I'm not spending the cash.

The best source for a car is probably uncompressed digital on a memory stick or Apple iPod hard drive. Compared to 15 IPS studio open reel master dubs played on a Studer, all car audio sucks.

I'm happy with the sound of the engine and save the cash for more software for my home system and upgrades to my Porsche Macan Turbo :).

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've always had semi high-end audio equipment in the house and used to customize my car systems pre factory navigation.

Nowadays, it seems hard to find time to sit and enjoy music at home. I'm always on the run, or when I'm there I want to be with the family which as a group would rather watch TV or a movie. For that reason we indulged in the Burmester system. Our cars are our home away from home and about the only consistent place we can sit and enjoy quality music.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Nowadays, it seems hard to find time to sit and enjoy music at home. I'm always on the run, or when I'm there I want to be with the family which as a group would rather watch TV or a movie.
Family time watching movies is the reason I invested a small fortune building a home theater with a Sony projector, 106" HD screen, Anthem electronics, B&W 804D surround, and SVS sub. The room always gets a lot of use and worth every penny to me.

OTOH, I couldn't cost justify the Burmester in the Macan. The few times the entire family travels together we are usually talking. However, I can certainly understand how an awesome car audio system can be important.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I'm glad you've had some good answers here, OP. Having listened to Burmester both in a loaner Cayenne and in the SB beauty that belongs to @GTW4CG and @djs2303 , I agree that the Burmester sounds crisp and clear no matter what the volume, and maybe it's the softer volume that really marks the difference. I don't have it in my car -- I typically listen to music only on road trips, and I didn't want to blast my canine companion into deafness -- but there's no doubt in my ears (ahem) that the Burmester is better. If you don't have to economize elsewhere, it'd be worth the investment. :)

1 - 20 of 176 Posts