Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Background, years ago I owned a car audio store for 10+ years, I designed the Audio systems for the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo and LM002 as well as the show vehicles for the Audio manufacturers and most of the systems for Car & Driver. I’d like to think I’m qualified; but music is like food, it’s what tastes best to you.

Anyway…
The joke in our biz used to be; “No highs, no lows it must be Bose” however I was pleasantly surprised. The Bose bass is amazingly tight and the upper frequencies are relatively smooth. It does have a hard pronunciation in the 2-3-Khz range. I really, really wish it had an EQ to taper that off a bit. I opted NOT to have a sunroof so the Alcantara makes the cabin a little more dead (not hot with all that glass) which I like. The surround function is just plain weird, sounds contrived (Because it is I guess). I have mine in standard stereo mode. CD’s sound great.

No idea about the Bermester other than Ribbon tweeters usually manage high frequencies much better than traditional cone technology. They generally don’t fatigue your ears after a while and their response is faster, truer.

Ironically I find myself turning off the system and just listening to the roar of the motor (the Gurgles and pops). For some reason, I find it calming and therapeutic.

Hope this helps…

·
Premium Member
5,835 Posts
So you are saying Bose used to suck but it sucks less now? LOL

I am happy with the base CDR+ audio but recently started to turn it off and just listen to the engine/exhaust sound. I too find that more soothing. :)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
As Background, years ago I owned a car audio store for 10+ years, I designed the Audio systems for the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo and LM002 as well as the show vehicles for the Audio manufacturers and most of the systems for Car & Driver. I’d like to think I’m qualified; but music is like food, it’s what tastes best to you.

Anyway…
The joke in our biz used to be; “No highs, no lows it must be Bose” however I was pleasantly surprised. The Bose bass is amazingly tight and the upper frequencies are relatively smooth. It does have a hard pronunciation in the 2-3-Khz range. I really, really wish it had an EQ to taper that off a bit. I opted NOT to have a sunroof so the Alcantara makes the cabin a little more dead (not hot with all that glass) which I like. The surround function is just plain weird, sounds contrived (Because it is I guess). I have mine in standard stereo mode. CD’s sound great.

No idea about the Bermester other than Ribbon tweeters usually manage high frequencies much better than traditional cone technology. They generally don’t fatigue your ears after a while and their response is faster, truer.

Ironically I find myself turning off the system and just listening to the roar of the motor (the Gurgles and pops). For some reason, I find it calming and therapeutic.

Hope this helps…
There's other threads on settings but would you mind posting your sound settings. I'm at:

Base: - 1
Treble: +4
Fader: 3 to the rear
Balance: 2 to the right
Surround: OFF

This is for Panamera Bose (mostly Sat Radio) but interested to see your set-up...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I read this interesting question on rennlist and I thought it would be appropriate here with Brazman's excellent post.

If you already have a Bose system, any benefit in swapping in Burmester tweeters? Parts would be under $400.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer jrjunior31 Question:

I vary them all of time as CD quality and tones vary. A GREAT CD that I like to test with is KD Lang (Torch and Twang). It was produced extremely well plus I happen to like her voice. That said, it's really a matter of taste. In addition to High-end Car Audio (Our Showcase Competition Audio system has a $100,000 on it), we also sold high-end home audio. I disliked snobs who had to tell us how music was to supposed to sound. It's met to be enjoyed; that said set them to whatever level makes you smile the most.

For FreshlySqueezed:

The answer is "a big maybe". The Bermester system has either an active or passive (don't know which) crossover network. It determines what frequency range, the Db/Octave ratio, and level of audio goes to the ribbon tweeters). It was designed specifically for them. Bose will no doubt be different, plus the speaker themselves may have a different impedance and SPA (efficiency) levels. Again, you could try it but it's possible you might toast them... or... they might sound fantastic :)

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey @Brazman, so you're sayin':
"We don't need no stinkin' Bose,
windows down and grab your nose,
w/ launch control it never stops,
a steady tune of gurgle and pops."

I think you might be on to something there.:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like treble +6
Bass + 2
Fade -4 to rear
Surround off
Linear on.

That's just my personal taste. I like the Bose. The Alcantara liner also blocks out some road noise so it's pretty quiet and better for tunes in my opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMO it seems to vary greatly by the vehicle it's in.

Granted I admit to being an anti-Bose person for a long time. But the Bose systems in my first Cayenne, my wife's Macan, and my previous GMC Sierra full-size pickup did not sound horrible. I have a healthy home audio system, and have built some (IMO) good SQ-based systems for my cars in the past and I could enjoy the Bose in the cars I mentioned.

The Bose in my wife's second 981 Boxster was TERRIBLE. TERRRRRRRIBLE. Hollow, boomy. Same with every loaner 911 I've had with the Bose. And my old Audi A6 did not sound great either.

My hunch is the cabin has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
After years in the music business, and time spent with things that go bang, I had my hearing tested and I can't hear the 5 highest octaves in my right ear. My left ear is better. I can't hear the highest two. I can't even talk on the phone with my right ear.

I nudged the base up to +3 and moved the fade back +4. Still sounds fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
IMO it seems to vary greatly by the vehicle it's in.

Granted I admit to being an anti-Bose person for a long time. But the Bose systems in my first Cayenne, my wife's Macan, and my previous GMC Sierra full-size pickup did not sound horrible. I have a healthy home audio system, and have built some (IMO) good SQ-based systems for my cars in the past and I could enjoy the Bose in the cars I mentioned.

The Bose in my wife's second 981 Boxster was TERRIBLE. TERRRRRRRIBLE. Hollow, boomy. Same with every loaner 911 I've had with the Bose. And my old Audi A6 did not sound great either.

My hunch is the cabin has a lot to do with it.
For the longest time I was also under the impression that Bose was nothing but a marketing genius. They sold cheap plastic crap and convinced the public they were the best. I've heard a lot of their stuff to come to this conclusion. However, their automotive OEM sales division seems to be turning things around when given the chance.

I work in the automotive industry around metro Detroit. I know some folks that work on audio systems. It's all about the budget the OEM wants to assign to the vehicles audio system. If given $50 to implement an audio system Bose will do their best with $50. If given a $500 budget they can do quite a bit more. OEM's can no longer afford to provide crappy audio systems and ride the success of a brand name. Others have raised the bar. Fortunately, the technology needed to create a decent audio system is getting much cheaper. Digital signal processors are becoming mainstream vs. a rarity. Audio suppliers can now offer better quality systems per a given budget.

As a result (from a professionals opinion) the Bose system in my Macan is not that bad. Sure, it has its limitations. Sure, there are better solutions out there. But, I am seriously wondering if it is worth it to rip my vehicle up to replace it. In the end YES I will modify my audio system. It's in my nature. But I can live with a majority of the existing system. Replace the front stage tweeters with something more accurate and correct the sloppy bass situation. Done. I think :)

Ge0

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great point. Not every car needs to sound like a well tuned symphony. I love the roar of my 3.0 liter turbo at startup. Then of course when you downshift and hammer the throttle. I get this boyish grin.

Ge0.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The answer is "a big maybe". The Bermester system has either an active or passive (don't know which) crossover network. It determines what frequency range, the Db/Octave ratio, and level of audio goes to the ribbon tweeters). It was designed specifically for them. Bose will no doubt be different, plus the speaker themselves may have a different impedance and SPA (efficiency) levels. Again, you could try it but it's possible you might toast them... or... they might sound fantastic :)
I read the Burmester system is completely active. I can't confirm because I have not actually analyzed one myself. If this is the case it makes me wonder how these guys are not burning up $160 AMT ribbon tweeters. They are similar format to the Mundorf AMT17D2.2's. The resonant frequency is around 1,700Hz. Response drops off rapidly below this. The Bose speaker swap guys are feeding unfiltered midrange to these tweeters. It must be stressing the piss out of them. Now, I wonder how the Burmester AMT's would sound with a high pass capacitor blocking low frequency content that more than likely is causing them to distort. Betcha they would sound pretty darn good.

But, before I go that route I have another option to try first:

A blast from the past :)

Ge0

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Geo,just grabbed these pics quickly on my way out hope they help.
These are my original OEM Bose tweets, Caps removed as I transplanted then to the Burms.

The first speaker is the Burn mid-range.....I believe...never got around to replacing it. I have 2.

2016 Macan T

·
Registered
87 Posts
Geo,just grabbed these pics quickly on my way out hope they help.
These are my original OEM Bose tweets, Caps removed as I transplanted then to the Burms.

The first speaker is the Burn mid-range.....I believe...never got around to replacing it. I have 2.

2016 Macan T
Thanks a bunch. It looks like the tweeter is about 1-1/2" diameter x 1" deep.

Hmmm. Has me thinking:

I should be able to make it work.

Also, I've heard from others that the Burmester center channel is not quite as sensitive as the Bose. Something I want to try. I'd like to reduce volume of the center channel a little. I find it overpowering and a little harsh. The Burmester center could tame this down a little. Let me know i you want to sell one. It's an easy enough swap to do just to try it out...

Ge0

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I am not sure that the speaker shown is the Berm Centre. I believe this is the Berm door mid range OEM.

Also not sure it’s impedance is even close. Might need to research this....I recall the Bose is not the same imp., for a straight swap.

2016 Macan T

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am not sure that the speaker shown is the Berm Centre. I believe this is the Berm door mid range OEM.

Also not sure it’s impedance is even close. Might need to research this....I recall the Bose is not the same imp., for a straight swap.

2016 Macan T
The center channel and door mid-ranges look a lot alike. I did notice the connector is placed 180degrees different between the two. Not sure if they are dimensionally the same. I'll just order the proper driver.

Thanks for the help.

Ge0

·
Registered
87 Posts
No problem.

It’s been done with the right replacement Berm....search on USCGTS, nickname.

2016 Macan T
Thanks for the reference. I know I read this somewhere before. You saved me an hour of searching. I owe you a beer.

Ge0

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the reference. I know I read this somewhere before. You saved me an hour of searching. I owe you a beer.

Ge0
For cripe sakes. You had to have me search messages from a guy who is one of the most popular posters on this site. Literally 1000's of hits. I respect USCGTS but will just search the old fashioned way :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts