Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Got a flat on my 2018 Macan yesterday. I have my first 10k mile service scheduled for Tuesday across town. I'm wondering if the CPO Warranty prohibits me from going to a local Discount Tire.

Any thoughts, experience, or suggestions? Not sure what it'll run me getting a new tire directly from the dealer. Thanks!

Super Moderator
The CPO warranty does not mean that one is required to go to a Porsche dealer for service.

If you search a bit in this forum and/or online , I believe you'll find many instances where this
fact is stated.

If your Macan already has a rim & tire protection package, then it would make sense to have
any issue related to those addressed, under contract, by the/a dealer.

Good luck!

馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I realize that one is not required to go to the dealer for service, but I don't want to run the risk of losing my CPO warranty down the line for what they consider to be subpar work (and I'm sure a place like Discount Tire is not Porsche certified).

I don't have a rim & tire protection package, unless that is somehow included with the CPO warranty.

Is having a tire put on by Discount Tire running the same risk as having a non-dealer perform service on the vehicle?

Registered
Have you asked the dealer how much they will charge you for a new tire? The other day I was chatting with my SA at the Porsche dealer about how I was getting close to need new tires. I openly told him I would look at Tirerack.com and get them sent to a local shop I use all the time. He told me: "when you need new tires call me and I can guarantee you I can beat any tire shop in town in price. " o_O Well, as soon as Spring gets here I will see if his word stands. Check it out and maybe you will be surprised.

Registered
Your CPO warranty will be intact if you have any tire shop replace your tire. If you have PASM make sure they decativate it before lifting your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
The only way a warranty repair would not be covered in a situation like this would be if the need for the repair was due to a problem caused by an independent garage or DIY'er. I have never heard of even one example like this unless the other party clearly screwed up the repair. And it's not like you need any unusual knowledge to change a tire or do other maintenance work on a Macan (despite what Porsche or dealers might try to imply).

As discussed on other threads, there are laws on the books to protect us from this nonsense. Your concern is exactly what the dealers and Porsche want you to think, and it's not unique to Porsche.

Not long ago there was a substantial settlement against BMW because some of their marketing materials for Mini merely implied that maintainence had to be done at the dealer or the warranty would be void.

Registered
First do a quick Google search on 鈥 patchable area on tire 鈥. If whatever damaged you tire is in the center area of the tread you鈥檙e good. See the photo.

If your tire is repairable make sure they patch it from the inside as it鈥檚 a much better repair. Select a reputable tire shop that鈥檚 not going to damage your wheels. Do a quick google search for 鈥 touchless tire mounting near me 鈥.

Most Porsche dealers will not patch or plug a tire.

Regarding replacing one tire on an AWD - the outside diameter of the tires on the same axle need to be within a certain spec. If you run different diameter tires on the same axle it can cause drive line issues. If you do need to replace the tire and they aren鈥檛 within spec you can 鈥 shave 鈥 the new tire to match the old - not an option I like to use - taking a brand new tire and wearing it down.

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/replace-all-4-tires-on-your-awd-vehicle.html

Registered
I realize that one is not required to go to the dealer for service, but I don't want to run the risk of losing my CPO warranty down the line for what they consider to be subpar work (and I'm sure a place like Discount Tire is not Porsche certified).

I don't have a rim & tire protection package, unless that is somehow included with the CPO warranty.

Is having a tire put on by Discount Tire running the same risk as having a non-dealer perform service on the vehicle?
You realize that when you bring your car to the dealer for tires, while you're waiting in the lobby they drive your car out the back door and down the road to a tire shop, right?

It was discount tire that pointed out to me that my brand new tires obtained through the dealer didn't include new TPMS sensors, which discount thought was lame as ****.

I've also leaned the hard way that body and paint work is also farmed out "down the street".
The dealer got paid big money for that, and the results were not awesome. Weeks later I got a light hit in the rear bumper. Took it to a local shop with good reviews. Paint work was perfect that time.

Registered
At the Porsche dealerships in Houston, the shops do all the work themselves. I would be very surprised that ANY dealership, especially Porsche, are running down the street to a Discount or NTB shop. Now, with that said, I prefer the dealership do the work. Why? I can hold them solely responsible for any damage to the wheel. No pissing contest with independent tire shops trying them to repair or replace a wheel that costs ~$400 a wheel. But that's me.

Super Moderator
You realize that when you bring your car to the dealer for tires, while you're waiting in the lobby they drive your car out the back door and down the road to a tire shop, right?
Pix or it aint real 馃摲

Who does PCNA contract with to get tires?

Registered
It will have no effect on warranty . What might be an issue is if they scratch a rim . A Porsche dealership would fix it , A discount place might not be so quick.

Registered
I didnt think CPO covered a tire anyway. I've never taken any CPO Porsche to the dealer for tire work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts