Porsche Macan Forum banner

Flat 6 air intake filter vs dealership service

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rasetsu 
#1 ·
Hello,

do dealerships and service centers really care about aftermarket air intake filters? I know they will find any excuse to cancel your warranty, I have 1 year left on mine. I’m going to get my annual service done in a couple weeks, do I swap it out or just leave it in.
Thank you,

#5 ·
Why does the relationship with the dealer service always have to be strained and suspicious of someone pulling one over On the other? Don’t live in fear of the service dept, and don’t be nieve about the mods you put on your car. Establish a relationship with your service advisor or service dept manager and let them know you’re an enthusiast and what mods you have. If you made a ridiculous mod that could break the car, then you have to own it. But if you are up front talking to them and trust them, like you want to be trusted, then you shouldn’t have to pussyfoot around. I have a Flat6 air filter and cover on my 2021 Macan S and I wouldn’t take it off before service.

#8 · (Edited)
Want to start out by saying I fundamentally agree with you and try to build all my relationships the way you describe. However it was Porsche that soured me.

Why does the relationship with the dealer service always have to be strained and suspicious of someone pulling one over On the other?
My first experience with Porsche service was when they tried to tell me my wheel spacers may have caused the failed transfer case. My second was when they told me that using 3rd party mechanics to do my oil changes may have cause the timing chain leak. Obvious BS. It was the dealer that created the advisiorial relationship.

Service departments make money from maintenance and non-warranty repair. They make little money from warranty repair. We all keep our jobs by making our bosses happy and can lead to conflict of interests. The BS they tried to pull on me demonstrates that.

I realize I'm stereotyping here, most dealers are honest.

#9 ·
I've talked to my SA about such things back when I had other Porsches. They (at my dealer) could care less as long as whatever the filter is (or other replacement part), is not some homemade paper plate or something I think most have enough common sense to understand what all that means. This of course doesn't speak for every service manager or dealership, but my local guys are not jerks or some hacks who live by a CYA bulletin all the time.

As far as making money - they will get paid either way.

#10 ·
I have a very good relationship with my service advisor even though I don't take my Porsches to him for every single maintenance item. He knows cars and modifications very well so he knows what actually affects what. I've told him straight up what I've done to my cars and he's gotten me covered for transfer case and valve cover leak. I even specifically asked him whether I should remove my Flat6 filters and he said they don't care. It's not like they are homemade from pharmacy gauze and chicken wire and then got sucked through the turbos. But of course your experience may vary. Not all service advisors are actually knowledgeable about cars or they just may have overbearing and risk adverse service managers to answer to. The advisors are many times just mouth pieces for the techs who usually aren't good with explaining things to people. So interview your service advisor and get recommendations from your local Porsche club region as to whom to go with. My first advisor wasn't great either until I got recommendations for the one I work with now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.