Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my flap disconnected for a while but grew tired of the droning at highway speeds. It looks like they really did install it for a reason.
FWIW, my car just crossed 20k miles and the exhaust note in the car is much higher more prominent now than when it was new.
The droning on the highway is actually what had me plug it back in as well!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
How about high RPM's? Especially quick accelerations and upshifts. Any notable difference in sound or tone?

·
Registered
925 Posts
How about high RPM's? Especially quick accelerations and upshifts. Any notable difference in sound or tone?
Nope, because it's always open then anyway. If you look at the tech data (download here from my dropbox since they won't let me upload it), the flap is only closed during relatively low RPM (below 2700) and with low Mass Air FLow (low-mid throttle request). SO, even with the flap active it will always be open when you want to hear it most. It's also ALWAYS open in 1st gear. So, in 7th gear at 2300 rpm cruising down the highway you want it closed. Even then, if you mash the throttle it will open immediately.

Reactions: highkrausen and K-A

·
Registered
499 Posts
FWIW, my car just crossed 20k miles and the exhaust note in the car is much higher more prominent now than when it was new.
I now have about 22K km on my Turbo with PSE, and it also does song "free'er", but the sound from inside the car is still 'muted'. However, quite a number of people have come up to me and have told me they love the sound of the car (from the outside).

I've never heard the Macan from the outside, so I can't tell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Guys old thread I know but is this on diesel exhausts or just the petrol
This past week I tried this on my GTS w/PSE, It didn't make enough of a sound difference to keep it open all the time. It actually made it harder to get the shift-pops I love hearing when shifting into 2nd and 3rd. I just reconnected the plugs on both sides and will confirm later if the normal sound behavior returns.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
After reading all nine pages, not once did I read anything by anyone taking into account only the RPM values at 'stock', 'sport' and 'sport+'. And I suspect the RPM varies in all three situations.

I believe everyone is not taking into account the internal parameters that are also taking place inside the engine going from 'stock' all the way up to 'sport+'. I believe the timing and cams advance some, don't they? Fuel to air ratios may be altered. I also believe the transmission sheds a gear or two when going from stock to sport and sport plus. All of this, I would suspect, is a cause and effect for exhaust note changes.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
925 Posts
After reading all nine pages, not once did I read anything by anyone taking into account only the RPM values at 'stock', 'sport' and 'sport+'. And I suspect the RPM varies in all three situations.

I believe everyone is not taking into account the internal parameters that are also taking place inside the engine going from 'stock' all the way up to 'sport+'. I believe the timing and cams advance some, don't they? Fuel to air ratios may be altered. I also believe the transmission sheds a gear or two when going from stock to sport and sport plus. All of this, I would suspect, is a cause and effect for exhaust note changes.

Just my thoughts.
If you look at the tech data that I shared in post 83 above you will see that Sport or Sport+ are not one of the inputs into the system. Selecting the button may temporarily create a downshift depending on the circumstances, but then you're just back in the chart.
The only inputs the system looks at are gear, RPM, mass airflow sensor (throttle demand), and Sport Exhaust selection (if installed).

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Exactly. When one of those buttons are pushed, it changes the gearing and subsequently changes the timbre of the engine note. Further, if you have the PSE as I do it also changes the timber of the exhaust note.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reading through the nine pages here, the morning (cold start-up) exhaust note has been mentioned, but I'm still not clear as to why it sounds so much louder (better) on start-up. I think it is clear the morning note is not caused by the flap. Any ideas on the mechanical/electrical aspects of the morning music?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Most likely it has to do with the emissions system. When started cold, the system is in open loop till the O2 sensors heat up to operating temp at which time it will switch to closed loop operation. I would guess in the open loop mode, the ignition timing and possibly even the cam timing is altered to reduce emissions when the engine is cold, hence the different exhaust sound. I disconnected my flap and it made no difference in the warm up sound sequence. For what it's worth, my GT3 does the same thing with a Europipe exhaust system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most likely it has to do with the emissions system. When started cold, the system is in open loop till the O2 sensors heat up to operating temp at which time it will switch to closed loop operation. I would guess in the open loop mode, the ignition timing and possibly even the cam timing is altered to reduce emissions when the engine is cold, hence the different exhaust sound. I disconnected my flap and it made no difference in the warm up sound sequence. For what it's worth, my GT3 does the same thing with a Europipe exhaust system.
Yes, but I find it odd that the other vehicles I've owned don't sound louder at start up. Maybe just a Porsche thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys... Was wondering some stuffs below and if someone could shed some light on me.
Driving a Macan GTS now with PSE and PASM on it.
  • Seems to me the time taken for the Macan GTS to get back into cold start takes longer then my previous ride- Macan base 2.0. I can park it overnight for like 7 hours but when i start the car it still doesnt roar or makes the cold start engine sound. Any ways to make the Car get back to cold start faster?
  • Assuming i just drove the car an hour ago and parked and restarting the car again, the engine note doesnt seem to roar as loud as it should. Does turning on the Sport Exhaust and PASM into sport plus chasis helps in creating a louder sound (i.e half turn on ignition key to start the electronics first, then turn on PASM and sports exhaust, then full turn on ignition key to start the engine)
  • Does driving in PASM Sport plus chasis mode vs driving in comfort mode has any change in fuel consumption and exhaust note?
  • Start-stop function doesnt seem to kick in until after driving much much longer (ard 15mins of drive) is this normal?

- My steering wheel has some creaking sound too when turning right and will have to send the car in to get it checked too.

·
Super Moderator
9,809 Posts
Hey guys... Was wondering some stuffs below and if someone could shed some light on me.
Driving a Macan GTS now with PSE and PASM on it.
  • Seems to me the time taken for the Macan GTS to get back into cold start takes longer then my previous ride- Macan base 2.0. I can park it overnight for like 7 hours but when i start the car it still doesnt roar or makes the cold start engine sound. Any ways to make the Car get back to cold start faster?
  • Assuming i just drove the car an hour ago and parked and restarting the car again, the engine note doesnt seem to roar as loud as it should. Does turning on the Sport Exhaust and PASM into sport plus chasis helps in creating a louder sound (i.e half turn on ignition key to start the electronics first, then turn on PASM and sports exhaust, then full turn on ignition key to start the engine)
The loud exhaust you hear at cold start exists for a specific purpose, AFAIK, to get the cat up to operating temp as quickly as possibly to lower emissions. Tampering with that would seems to me, and IANAL, to be a violation of the Clean Air Act. Isn't that exactly why VAG executives are sitting in US prisons? Or something similar.

The loud noise doesn't exist to "sound cool". It has a specific reason to exist. Just saying, its a feature, not an option.

• Does driving in PASM Sport plus chasis mode vs driving in comfort mode has any change in fuel consumption and exhaust note?
Doubtful. One is is suspension related totally unrelated to the drivetrain. Sport plus changes the engine mapping for shifting. Maybe that does.

• Start-stop function doesnt seem to kick in until after driving much much longer (ard 15mins of drive) is this normal?
Start/Stop is related to battery charge level. Read the manual. If its too low, it won't work.

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
- My steering wheel has some creaking sound too when turning right and will have to send the car in to get it checked too.

PASM settings affect the shock valving. Period.

Perhaps you are wondering about Sport+ for the engine? I would recommend reading the Owner's Manual and/or related threads in this forum.

For steering wheel creaking, again, search the forum. This topic has been covered - a few times.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Bringing this back to life :)

Is anyone with OEM PSE....runing around with the passenger Valve disconnected ? How is this working for you ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bringing this back to life :)

Is anyone with OEM PSE....runing around with the passenger Valve disconnected ? How is this working for you ?
Following, also has anyone gone with the aftermarket exhaust flap remote control system, such as kufatec system?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Don, i have read about the Kufatec and also the CETE flap/valve control system. I don't know of anyone with it installed though.....

81 - 100 of 114 Posts