Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Vendor
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a dash cam for some time, but I wasn't going to have an exposed wire running to my lighter or a long wire tucked into my trim running down to my fuse box. Then I found a DIY video (below) a fellow Macaneer posted about the $200 FitCamX and I was sold!

It looks just like OEM and gets juice from the cabin's horseshoe-light harness. I purchased and installed mine within 2 days. There is an option for a front + rear camera, but that requires much more tuck-and-stuff wiring than I care to do.

I hope this is helpful to those of you who are also sitting on the dashcam fence waiting for the right product like I was.
Gas Personal protective equipment Shooting Machine Shotgun

Hood Aircraft Automotive mirror Rear-view mirror Eyewear

· Registered
364 Posts
I have wanted a dash cam for some time, but I wasn't going to have an exposed wire running to my lighter or a long wire tucked into my trim running down to my fuse box. Then I found a DIY video (below) a fellow Macaneer posted about the $200 FitCamX and I was sold!

It looks just like OEM and gets juice from the cabin's horseshoe-light harness. I purchased and installed mine within 2 days. There is an option for a front + rear camera, but that requires much more tuck-and-stuff wiring than I care to do.

I hope this is helpful to those of you who are also sitting on the dashcam fence waiting for the right product like I was.
View attachment 262826

View attachment 262825

How does it work ?
any battery drain ?
good capture of the video ?

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Looks so much cleaner than Porsche's own offering.

· Vendor
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks so much cleaner than Porsche's own offering.
Really? I guess I haven’t seen Porsche’s setup, but the plastic close out that is replaced by this camera seems tailor made for an OEM cam

· Vendor
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does it work ?
any battery drain ?
good capture of the video ?
So far so good. I just checked my car in the garage unlocked and the cam was off. I locked the car and the cam stayed off. Supposedly, it has a g meter that wakes it up. I gave my car a shoulder shove and no cam light.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Really? I guess I haven’t seen Porsche’s setup, but the plastic close out that is replaced by this camera seems tailor made for an OEM cam

• Wow
Reactions: cdarwinj

· Vendor
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang, I see what you mean. Shame in Porsche. Note that I have ACC and LKA, so I believe I have everything in my build that takes up real estate around the rear view, and yet the space where the camera goes was empty, save for the mirror attachment point, but we all have that.

· Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
190 Posts
I like this ...

Reactions: cdarwinj

· Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
190 Posts
Do you have a model number?

· Vendor
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Vendor
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
190 Posts
Found it on Amazon UK but not available - other cars but not the Model B ...

· Vendor
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the price, fit and features please tell me why I shouldn't buy this unit. Thinking of a front and rear cam with biggest SD card.
And that, sir, is exactly why I shared the info. 😃 I would have bought mine a long time ago if I knew about it. Cheers!

· Vendor
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you. Just bought one from Amazon using the above link.
Just FYI. It's down to $160 from $200 as part of Black Friday deals. One of those 'Buy now Think later' purchases.
Wow, thank YOU. I could use an extra $40 that I didn’t have to spend, so I just ordered another one for $160. When it comes, I’ll return it (unopened and restockable) to my $200 purchase.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts