Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new Macan was a service loaner vehicle and we are at 10k miles now and presumably ready for its 10k complimentary service.

Our selling dealer is telling me the complimentary service is not based on our delivery date but based on when it became a service loaner vehicle. I would think the 10k complimentary service would have been based on the date it was delivered and had accrued 10k miles, not when it arrived at the dealer, or when it was driven on a potential sales test drive, or placed in the service loaner pool.

What do y'all think on this?

Anyone else been down this road?

·
Premium Member
2021 Macan GTS
109 Posts
You would think the dealer would be more than happy to have your vehicle for current and future service needs. I would call another dealer and get a 2nd opinion. Wow

Reactions: Glock19

·
Registered
303 Posts
How many miles were on the car when you bought it? Did the dealer do any service at the time of your purchase? If the car had 1,500 miles at purchase, that's one thing; if it had 8,000 miles, that's another.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I would think if the mileage is at 10K, the date(s) of when you bought it, when it went into loaner service, etc, should not matter. 10K = 10K. Who at the dealer told you that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, the vehicle had 6381 miles at time of delivery. Just now turned 10k.

We are winters in one place and summers in another. We purposely didn't drive it much this past year until we got to our winter property where we purchased the vehicle and wanted to have the service done by the selling dealer, and didn't get back here til later than usual.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Your dealer has given you poor (not necessarily wrong, but poor) information.

The metric is "10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first".

If the odometer is at, or above 10,000, that car is due for service.

Schedule it.

And, by the way, it is not up to the dealer to tell you when to get the car serviced. It's a kind gesture on their part but they have no authority, nor ability, to refuse to service your car.

Get it in and get its serviced.

Any flak . . consider it a cheap precursor of bad things to come . . and go to another dealer.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Service on the Macan is every 10,000 miles or one year, which ever comes first....and the first service is free.

You bought a service loaner that had 6,381 miles on it when you took delivery, and your Macan is now at 10,000 miles....time for your first service which is free.

What is the confusing part here?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The confusing part is whether the one year starts when we initially purchased and titled the Macan?

Or when the dealer placed it in their loaner program?

What would you think?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The confusing part is whether the one year starts when we initially purchased and titled the Macan?

Or when the dealer placed it in their loaner program?

What would you think?
You hit 10,000 miles....time for service.

10,000 miles or one year, which ever comes first....and the first service is free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, time for service.....but seems to me the first service is Porsche complimentary based on our delivery time not when it was placed in loaner pool.

Which would you think?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Yes, time for service.....but seems to me the first service is Porsche complimentary based on our delivery time not when it was placed in loaner pool.

Which would you think?
Sounds to me you only hear want you want to hear, and you also sound like a "difficult" customer....

One last time....you're at 10,000 miles, time for your first service which is free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, not free, the dealer wants to charge me $364 plus tax.

Seems to me it outta be free based on our delivery date, not the date placed in loaner pool.

What do you think..... and not a difficult customer here.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
No, not free, the dealer wants to charge me $364 plus tax.

Seems to me it outta be free based on our delivery date, not the date placed in loaner pool.

What do you think..... and not a difficult customer here.
You never said you were being charged for this first service. The first service is free from Porsche.

Are you sure this is your Macan's first service? If not, you will have to pay, unless you negotiated an additional free maintenance when you bought the vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used the term complimentary instead of free service. The dealer says $364 plus tax.

Yes, the would first service since we purchased it, just turned ten thousand miles.

The question is, whether the "one year" is based on when we purchased it versus the date placed in their loaner pool.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are you getting just a full factory new car warranty or is considered Certified Pre-owned? Service is based on which trigger comes up first on the car, either 10,000 or if not hitting the 10k, then one year from the first "in service" date, and if used, not your subsequent purchase date. Regardless of when you bought it, or when it went into service, it is now due for the 10k service, which is supposed to be free for a "new" factory purchase, but probably not for a CPO.
In any case, do you really want to wait until you have personally owned it for a year, before it's first oil change, probably not.

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I used the term complimentary instead of free service. The dealer says $364 plus tax.

Yes, the would first service since we purchased it, just turned ten thousand miles.

The question is, whether the "one year" is based on when we purchased it versus the date placed in their loaner pool.
If what folks have said so far don't clarify the issue for you yet, let me see if I can get some clarity on the issue.

Porsche, the corporation (vs., say, a dealer), pays for the first service of new Macans. This has been the case for several years now, and is listed in Porsche's configurator as standard equipment, or something to that effect.

Has you car had this first service done?

For instance, since the first service is supposed to be performed at 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, if the dealer had the car in service (as a loaner) for a year before it was sold to you, the dealer might have had its shop perform this service.

So, I'm asking, was that service done? If you don't know, i.e., the dealer hasn't told you and you don't know this, ask -- or failing that, demand -- to see the car's service records from the dealer. Do this, so you can determine, and let us know, whether the car has had it's initial 10,000-mile-or-one-year service.

If the car has NOT had its first service done, and you are at 10,000, it does not matter about any dates -- all dates are irrelevant, it is time (based on mileage alone) to get that service. And that first service is free.
If your dealer says otherwise, he or she would seem to be committing fraud.

If the car HAS had its first service, i.e., the dealer had it done before the you bought the car (because it was being driven for a year or so -- it obviously did not meet the mileage requirement for a first service, at 6,381), then you will not need service again until a year has gone by after the date of that first service, or you've added 10,000 miles to the mileage at that service. Again, to determine this, you must see the service record of that first service, to learn the date of the service and the mileage at that time.

Does this make it clearer? Can you help us out here, with these additional details?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The warranty is always the “in service” date and not the purchase date. I purchased a Cadillac CTS and had condensation in the headlight. I called to get it replaced under warrant, nope it was out of warranty based on the “in service” date. Your four year warranty started when the car went into service as well. The fact that they are charging you for the oil change is really crappy IMO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, was not a CPO "certified pre owned" vehicle but a dealer owned service vehicle "loaner" and we were the first registered owner with a full factory plus warranty. I say full factory "plus" warranty, because the warranty was actually greater than for a new vehicle as I recall. Don't have the details at hand now though.

Anyway, the question is whether the "one year" is based on when we purchased it versus the date placed in their service loaner pool.

That's the $364 "plus tax" question :) We can afford it, just was expecting the complimentary oil change.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Are you getting just a full factory new car warranty or is considered Certified Pre-owned? Service is based on which trigger comes up first on the car, either 10,000 or if not hitting the 10k, then one year from the first "in service" date, and if used, not your subsequent purchase date. Regardless of when you bought it, or when it went into service, it is now due for the 10k service, which is supposed to be free for a "new" factory purchase, but probably not for a CPO.
In any case, do you really want to wait until you have personally owned it for a year, before it's first oil change, probably not.
Wouldn't the new-car factory warranty supersede the CPO warranty, if the new car warranty is still in effect (i.e., if the car is not more than four years old)? If so, wouldn't that mean that the new-car warranty's stipulation of a free first service remain in effect? (This is assuming that the first service had not been done by the dealer already, e.g., if the car was used as a loaner for more than a year).

It'd be nice to know the model year of the car. I don't think we know that yet, folks ... do we?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts