Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I wanted to put off creating a thread like this till the very end so that I can do as much research about understanding the various options on my own. Several reviews that have come out in the last few weeks have been really helpful. I put down a $2500 deposit 9/20/21. I was 4th on the list at my local deal. In Nov, they only got 3 allocations. That bumped me to no. 1 spot for the next round (which I was expecting to be around early Feb 2022). Luckily my SA, contacted me this morning that my allocation was put in the system today. I have two weeks before the lock (I don't know if Porsche released new spots, or if I am just getting bumped up).

Either way I am happy. I am going in to speak with my SA in person to over all the process. I wanted to get some inputs from you all to be prepared for that discussion. We agreed MSRP so I am hoping I will get some sort of buyers order with that being stated etc. (is that reasonable to expect at this stage... Since I have it in emails but nothing formal). They said deposit is non-refundable after order locks (that part makes sense).

This is my first Porsche, so I am really counting on the folks on this thread to help me pick the essential options. Here is my final code (I have had some many permutations, I actually have an excel file on my computer :) The basic theme is perf. and some cosmetic choices. My weekend car is a honda s2000. This would be the "family car". I work from home so I don't commute. I was comparison shopping the G80 M3 xdrive but I can't get over the face. I also was looking at 718 GTS 4.0 to replace my S2000. The Macan GTS fits both requirements (and I get to keep my S2000).

Build Code: PNWQQ2B7

1. Summary for those not bothering to look through:
  2. Carmine Red
  3. Full Black Leather Interior (really wanted the Bordeaux red, but it clashes with my exterior color choice)
  4. Bordeaux Red Seat Belts
  5. 18 way sport seats
  6. GT Heated Steering wheel
  7. Prem Plus
  8. Sports Chrono
  9. 21 GT design wheels in Satin (still debating these over stock black ones - which look nice enough but I am not a black wheels person) wondering if I should spend this money on PTV+ (After reading 12 page thread, still not sure if I need it for daily driving)
  10. PEC Atlanta Delivery
Total with Tax is right at $100K (My goal was not to exceed 80 :ROFLMAO:)

The only option I am not so sure about still is the GT wheels (wondering if I should just save money for wheel and tire insurance). I do want to get PPF as soon after delivery as possible. Since I am doing PEC, I am wondering if getting Porsche to do it would make sense. I am also wondering if I can ask them not to take off all the delivery protection stuff so I can drive the car back home from Atlanta (not sure if PEC would allow that).

One thing I would like to understand is delivery timing. I know everyone's situation is different and covid doesn't help but assuming my order locks last week of Jan. When can I expect the car to be built, delivered to port in USA and the what would be an educated guess for PEC (how long a window do they give you to pick a date?). My SA said PEC Atlanta adds 3 weeks. I am based out of Nothern VA. I am trying to actually take delivery of the car after April 15th (so that most of salt is gone - we only get occasional snow). Also I am traveling abroad in March and I don't want the car to get there before I return from my trip.

I welcome all suggestions. Thanks in advance. I can't believe I am here already, so excited. Next few months are going to be tough, but at least stop second guessing and torturing myself on the config. portal.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
So,

I wanted to put off creating a thread like this till the very end so that I can do as much research about understanding the various options on my own. Several reviews that have come out in the last few weeks have been really helpful. I put down a $2500 deposit 9/20/21. I was 4th on the list at my local deal. In Nov, they only got 3 allocations. That bumped me to no. 1 spot for the next round (which I was expecting to be around early Feb 2022). Luckily my SA, contacted me this morning that my allocation was put in the system today. I have two weeks before the lock (I don't know if Porsche released new spots, or if I am just getting bumped up).

Either way I am happy. I am going in to speak with my SA in person to over all the process. I wanted to get some inputs from you all to be prepared for that discussion. We agreed MSRP so I am hoping I will get some sort of buyers order with that being stated etc. (is that reasonable to expect at this stage... Since I have it in emails but nothing formal). They said deposit is non-refundable after order locks (that part makes sense).

This is my first Porsche, so I am really counting on the folks on this thread to help me pick the essential options. Here is my final code (I have had some many permutations, I actually have an excel file on my computer :) The basic theme is perf. and some cosmetic choices. My weekend car is a honda s2000. This would be the "family car". I work from home so I don't commute. I was comparison shopping the G80 M3 xdrive but I can't get over the face. I also was looking at 718 GTS 4.0 to replace my S2000. The Macan GTS fits both requirements (and I get to keep my S2000).

2. Carmine Red
  3. Full Black Leather Interior (really wanted the Bordeaux red, but it clashes with my exterior color choice)
  5. 18 way sport seats
  7. Prem Plus
  8. Sports Chrono
  9. 21 GT design wheels in Satin (still debating these over stock black ones - which look nice enough but I am not a black wheels person) wondering if I should spend this money on PTV+ (After reading 12 page thread, still not sure if I need it for daily driving)
  10. PEC Atlanta Delivery

The only option I am not so sure about still is the GT wheels (wondering if I should just save money for wheel and tire insurance). I do want to get PPF as soon after delivery as possible. Since I am doing PEC, I am wondering if getting Porsche to do it would make sense. I am also wondering if I can ask them not to take off all the delivery protection stuff so I can drive the car back home from Atlanta (not sure if PEC would allow that).

One thing I would like to understand is delivery timing. I know everyone's situation is different and covid doesn't help but assuming my order locks last week of Jan. When can I expect the car to be built, delivered to port in USA and the what would be an educated guess for PEC (how long a window do they give you to pick a date?). My SA said PEC Atlanta adds 3 weeks. I am based out of Nothern VA. I am trying to actually take delivery of the car after April 15th (so that most of salt is gone - we only get occasional snow). Also I am traveling abroad in March and I don't want the car to get there before I return from my trip.

I welcome all suggestions. Thanks in advance. I can't believe I am here already, so excited. Next few months are going to be tough, but at least stop second guessing and torturing myself on the config. portal.
I absolutely HATE the belts ! Red on red is vomit. (sorry fir being graphic to make a firm point)_

I had satin wheels once on a 16 Turbo . They look great in the sun and dull at night. They look awful when dirty too . Satin black is a winning GTS choice.

Eveuythinh else is perfect . The belts have to go !

·
Registered
944 Posts
I would hold off on the letting Porsche do the PPF. One of the biggest benefits of having a reputable detailer doing to PPF is the paint correction they do first. It will take all the scratches out and is a much better job typically. And then put a nice ceramic coat on top of the PPF. I've always used GTECH Ultra serum, it's fantatstic. Good luck and enjoy, great build.
And BTW, I have bordeaux belts on my bordeaux seats and they look great. I would pass on red belts and black interior, but thats just me. Get what you want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. Two strong opinions on the Bordeaux red seat belts already. I must say I did not expect that... goes to show how cosmetic choices are so personal. I was actually torn between going the full GTS interior package with carmine seat belts and red stitching...But I'd have to give up on the premium package and that is the only reason I convinced myself to go all black. I believe (based on a singular picture that I have seen on the 911 forum) and the one I am attaching below... that the bordeux red seat belts are duller than the carmine red. I do want some contrast in the otherwise all black interior. Considered getting silver aluminum trim, but I figured that clashed with red seat belts. If someone can offer better pictures with carmine red exterior, that would help (luckily if I really didn't like them I believe seat belts can be changed after the fact). At least one person likes them on black :)

I am also hoping I can wrap the mirrors and door handles in satin black after the fact (any idea what that might cost?). I would do the factory black mirrors but it bothers me that on the new 2022 GTS, the bottom has is gloss black - instead of matt black like the 2021. So the side blades (Which I intend to keep matt) don't match. I could also get the gloss black sport mirrors from factory and then have the side blades wrapped in matt\satin black. not sure which is the cheaper and more expedient route. I figured getting side mirrors wrapped black is easier then painting them carmine red again.

Question on stock all season tires? I have seen Michelin AS4 (not sure if they were the SUV version) on some delivery videos on base macan S. Any idea if that is one of the possibilities... I have had great experiences with AS3+ on my other cars for my area. Not sure how any of the other options compare. Guess that will be have to left to the tire lottery.

Car Vehicle Seat belt Motor vehicle Window

·
Registered
ordering a 2022 GTS
110 Posts
congratulations! You have a lot to think about here.

First off, that S2k vs 718 4.0 is a really, really tough call. I have been a Honda fan for a long time (had a 2018 Type R until recently). The S2k is a seriously classic car. Will never be another like it. But that 718 4.0. Probably the last normally aspirated flat 6 Porsche....tough to pass up

We also got our allocation just last week. I can tell you that YES absolutely, the dealer should send you a buyer's order with the exact costs of the car (MSRP number, tax, title, doc fees, etc, and reflects your deposit). They should also send you your build that has a commission number on it. My dealer signed both docs and had us do the same. That's your proof that your config is indeed applied to an allocation. I didn't have to ask our dealer to provide all of this. They did it as soon as we accepted the allocation.

We also ordered Carmine Red for our GTS. IMO, don't let anyone talk you off any of your color choices. Colors to me are a most personal choice and no one is "right" when they tell you how you should mix/match them. We are getting the Bordeaux red interior with our Carmine Red exterior, and this forum almost exploded when I posted our build :)

like the sport chrono. We got the surround view. I think that's a great feature not only for preventing any wheel rash when parallel parking, but also getting into our garage, as we will be parking it snug up to one side of the garage. we also got the 18-way seats. An inexpensive upgrade after getting the premium plus package.

I think PEC delivery is very cool. I have read a good bit about how they are running a couple of months behind right now on doing deliveries. Just something to check into and confirm so you are not surprised.

since you are getting a GTS and the sport chrono, wondering if you thought about getting summer wheels with the build since it is a $0 option. We are going to do that. Like you we have a "weekend car" (Corvette C8), but this SUV is a Porsche and when the roads get fun, we want to wring out everything the GTS has to offer. We are going to get a second set of Porsche wheels (19" diameter) and winter tires....

Great build !

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
204 Posts
If you like the red seat belts just take them, don't need anyone's permission here and you will be the one driving the car. The only thing is that it is a pricy option, so I personally would put my $ somewhere else. But that's the beauty, you can build the car exactly to your liking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks @THX_ZORA ... I appreciate the advice.

ACC and Surround view are nice to have but I'd have to give up on things which I prefer more. The way I see it my next car is going to be some sort of electric hybrid with AI at the wheels and at least 14 different cameras (maybe 3 or 4 pointing at the passengers :)... My Wife's Jetta has more tech than what comes stock on a Macan GTS. Unlike most here, I would be switching between the 15 year old S2000 and Macan. From that perspective, having a reverse camera and LCA seems like future tech :) It's a shame emergency braking is part of ACC though. We all know what you did there Porsche!

I did consider getting summer tires. The winter in nothern VA is mild with the occasional snow storm and I don't take out any of my cars on the roads as long as there is snow\ice on the roads. I do worry that the temps might get close of freezing a lot, and than my choice for essential milk run would be Honda S2000 w AS3+ tires and no traction control or expensive new Porsche with AWD but summer tires... Not sure which of those two would hurt more... if I ever slid off the road. On the other hand best friend daily drove E93 m3 w summer tires for 4 years :) ... that is not smart I know.. Don't do that kids.

I don't think I can justify a set of winter rims and rubber. I spend my last funds on the red seat belts.. I was asking about AS4s because I find them to be near summer level perf. compared to other brands. They still can be used in the winter. The mechanical grip on the Macan is high, I doubt I would push the summer tires to where they would start making a difference.

Plus it would be worth it to have some light snow action with the GTS... I am told it is mad fun.

I will look into the delay with PEC delivery when I speak to my SA on Monday. Like I said, I am happy to take delivery after April 15th.. A few weeks over should actually work in my favor. I will also look to get the buyers order with commission no. from my dealer. I don't have any reason to suspect they won't provide it.

While I am up and still typing... I might ask. What is the overall consensus on the GT steering wheel on the new 22 models? I must admit, I had rather taken a liking to the old style. One of my favorite feature of the Porsche brand. I have read on the forum that the only difference is the smaller diameter (and that the thickness is the same). I actually don't like very thick steering rim (like the BMWs). I am just going off the fact that my S2k has a really small wheel and I think it helps with driving. I also recall Matt Farah, mentioning that the smaller wheel provides better feedback due to just being smaller and requires more force to turn. So that is why I chose it. I also like the silver trim delete.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So,

2. Carmine Red
  5. 18 way sport seats
  7. Prem Plus
  8. Sports Chrono
  10. PEC Atlanta Delivery

Love the build and colors.
Thanks @THX_ZORA ... I appreciate the advice.

ACC and Surround view are nice to have but I'd have to give up on things which I prefer more. The way I see it my next car is going to be some sort of electric hybrid with AI at the wheels and at least 14 different cameras (maybe 3 or 4 pointing at the passengers :)... My Wife's Jetta has more tech than what comes stock on a Macan GTS. Unlike most here, I would be switching between the 15 year old S2000 and Macan. From that perspective, having a reverse camera and LCA seems like future tech :) It's a shame emergency braking is part of ACC though. We all know what you did there Porsche!

I did consider getting summer tires. The winter in nothern VA is mild with the occasional snow storm and I don't take out any of my cars on the roads as long as there is snow\ice on the roads. I do worry that the temps might get close of freezing a lot, and than my choice for essential milk run would be Honda S2000 w AS3+ tires and no traction control or expensive new Porsche with AWD but summer tires... Not sure which of those two would hurt more... if I ever slid off the road. On the other hand best friend daily drove E93 m3 w summer tires for 4 years :) ... that is not smart I know.. Don't do that kids.

I don't think I can justify a set of winter rims and rubber. I spend my last funds on the red seat belts.. I was asking about AS4s because I find them to be near summer level perf. compared to other brands. They still can be used in the winter. The mechanical grip on the Macan is high, I doubt I would push the summer tires to where they would start making a difference.

Plus it would be worth it to have some light snow action with the GTS... I am told it is mad fun.

I will look into the delay with PEC delivery when I speak to my SA on Monday. Like I said, I am happy to take delivery after April 15th.. A few weeks over should actually work in my favor. I will also look to get the buyers order with commission no. from my dealer. I don't have any reason to suspect they won't provide it.

While I am up and still typing... I might ask. What is the overall consensus on the GT steering wheel on the new 22 models? I must admit, I had rather taken a liking to the old style. One of my favorite feature of the Porsche brand. I have read on the forum that the only difference is the smaller diameter (and that the thickness is the same). I actually don't like very thick steering rim (like the BMWs). I am just going off the fact that my S2k has a really small wheel and I think it helps with driving. I also recall Matt Farah, mentioning that the smaller wheel provides better feedback due to just being smaller and requires more force to turn. So that is why I chose it. I also like the silver trim delete.
So,

2. Carmine Red
  5. 18 way sport seats
  7. Prem Plus
  8. Sports Chrono
  10. PEC Atlanta Delivery

Like your build.

No opinion on the red.

If you are a cyclist and intend to tow your bike, by all means add the trailer hitch to your build. Doing it aftermarket from what I was told is an expensive nightmare.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
Wow. Two strong opinions on the Bordeaux red seat belts already. I must say I did not expect that... goes to show how cosmetic choices are so personal. I was actually torn between going the full GTS interior package with carmine seat belts and red stitching...But I'd have to give up on the premium package and that is the only reason I convinced myself to go all black. I believe (based on a singular picture that I have seen on the 911 forum) and the one I am attaching below... that the bordeux red seat belts are duller than the carmine red. I do want some contrast in the otherwise all black interior. Considered getting silver aluminum trim, but I figured that clashed with red seat belts. If someone can offer better pictures with carmine red exterior, that would help (luckily if I really didn't like them I believe seat belts can be changed after the fact). At least one person likes them on black :)

I am also hoping I can wrap the mirrors and door handles in satin black after the fact (any idea what that might cost?). I would do the factory black mirrors but it bothers me that on the new 2022 GTS, the bottom has is gloss black - instead of matt black like the 2021. So the side blades (Which I intend to keep matt) don't match. I could also get the gloss black sport mirrors from factory and then have the side blades wrapped in matt\satin black. not sure which is the cheaper and more expedient route. I figured getting side mirrors wrapped black is easier then painting them carmine red again.

Question on stock all season tires? I have seen Michelin AS4 (not sure if they were the SUV version) on some delivery videos on base macan S. Any idea if that is one of the possibilities... I have had great experiences with AS3+ on my other cars for my area. Not sure how any of the other options compare. Guess that will be have to left to the tire lottery.

View attachment 250075
That photograph is very misleading. I’ve seen the colors in person. My dealership had a 911 turbo S in carmine red with Bordeaux interior . They could not sell the car. Finally they took $30,000 off MSRP and sold it to a guy who planned on wrapping it. It’s that bad. Sometimes the configurator paints a different picture than what is the reality when you see the car. Had they offered carmine red seatbelts which they do by the way. It would be a totally different story. In fact the carmine red GTS package is beautiful on that car. Puerto clashes with Carmine. It’s not just two opinions. People walked by that 911 for almost a year and no one wanted it. If you wish to be the outlier and have this choice because you like it just understand that people may not say anything when they see it but I did. I did so before you bought it. Afterwards it’s too late I will just congratulate you .

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The only way I'd do red interior of any kind on the GTS would be the GTS Interior Package w/red stitching. It's expensive but only available on the GTS and worth the money spent.

If you don't want to get a second set of winter tires and still wish to drive your Macan with weather below 45 degree F, do get the all season tires. I would never ever drive on a set of summer tires in cold weather. Summer tires rubber get harden under this temp, lose their traction and braking ability and on top of those, become brittle prone and crack more as time goes on.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
The only way I'd do red interior of any kind on the GTS would be the GTS Interior Package w/red stitching. It's expensive but only available on the GTS and worth the money spent.

If you don't want to get a second set of winter tires and still wish to drive your Macan with weather below 45 degree F, do get the all season tires. I would never ever drive on a set of summer tires in cold weather. Summer tires rubber get harden under this temp, lose their traction and braking ability and on top of those, become brittle prone and crack more as time goes on.
^^^^^^^this ^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I saw your post above mentioning not getting the GTS interior package because you'd lose the premium package. In this case, I'd rather spec the really necessary options in the premium package separately (pano roof, LCA, Bose, 18-way and heated seats). It's $2900 more but you could compensate it by deleting the GT satin platinum wheels and choose the standard RS spyder wheels. The satin black is better looking than satin platinum. I've had two sets of satin black and two sets of satin platinum wheels from Porsche and there's no doubt in my mind that satin black is better looking. This would save you $1800 out of the $2900 from speccing the other options separately. The ventilated seats are unnecessary when you get the GTS interior package.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I absolutely HATE the belts ! Red on red is vomit. (sorry fir being graphic to make a firm point)_

I had satin wheels once on a 16 Turbo . They look great in the sun and dull at night. They look awful when dirty too . Satin black is a winning GTS choice.

Eveuythinh else is perfect . The belts have to go !
So,

2. Carmine Red
  5. 18 way sport seats
  7. Prem Plus
  8. Sports Chrono
  10. PEC Atlanta Delivery

A few comments here have not recommended the red belts; I think the belts are a must to break up the wall of black. They are a classy touch of subtle contrast. Excellent eye and choice!

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
A few comments here have not recommended the red belts; I think the belts are a must to break up the wall of black. They are a classy touch of subtle contrast. Excellent eye and choice!
The GTS package has red belts . They just don't clash the way this does .

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the red seat belts since the brake calipers already don't match the Carmine Red exterior. The red seatbelts help break up all the black in the interior, and can't really be seen from the outside through the tinted rear windows....even less if you tint the the front windows later on with aftermarket film.

If it snows in your area, get PTV+, and a dedicated set of Winter wheels/tires. That's how I do it....my nice matte black wheels stay nice AND I enjoy the extra traction from the Summer tires during the good weather.

Have you considered changing the exterior color? I've had a red car once, but unless it's done right like a Ferrari, it's one of those colors you tired of quickly.

If you went with the Volcanic Grey with the stock matte black wheels, you'd save $4,000 (easily covering the PTV+), and you won't have any "clashing" issues with color when it comes to the red seat belts and red brake calipers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate all the feedback.

So for me final decision points have to do with the interior choices (Red seat belts or GTS interior). And the wheels. Just like I stated at the start of this thread. Both wheels look great. Obviously the stock ones save me some money to go for the GTS interior (and skip some of the non-essential options as suggested before). I know its not likely but I'll try to see if I can check the Bordeaux red belts in person before I place the order. However it's either of the two for me. All black is too dark for my taste.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why not go with high gloss black GT Design Wheels? I’m going through the same decision process right now, between those and the satin black Spyders. Love the looks of the GT Designs, since it’s unique, but am not convinced about the glossy black just yet. That said, my detailer said he could easily powder coat them for ~$1,000 if I ended up not liking the gloss. Perhaps that solves your issue? IMO Satin Platinum doesn’t work on the Macan. Has to be a sports car and ideally a matching body color.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took a black on black 21 GTS on a test drive last year, it had Garnet red seat belts, dials and SC dial, looked amazing so I ordered it on my NBM build. Alas, I cancelled my order, waiting on a 22 allocation.
I also preferred the standard steering wheel over the GT, felt nicer in the hands and less obstruction of the dials.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
Why not go with high gloss black GT Design Wheels? I’m going through the same decision process right now, between those and the satin black Spyders. Love the looks of the GT Designs, since it’s unique, but am not convinced about the glossy black just yet. That said, my detailer said he could easily powder coat them for ~$1,000 if I ended up not liking the gloss. Perhaps that solves your issue? IMO Satin Platinum doesn’t work on the Macan. Has to be a sports car and ideally a matching body color.
The gloss black always look amazing in photos but are subject to visible chips or scratches much easier than the understated satin black . Satin black wheels are the known styling cue for a GTS along with things like race tex . Of course no one must buy these things but they are the original styling premise of the car . .

Carmine with carmine package is the official promo of EVERY Porsche GTS model in the lineup . Black satin wheels is the official promo color ,. Hes almost there . Bordaux belts is that slip and fall right before crossing the finish line for the wn !!! 🤣 GTS Carmine on Carmine pack for the win 💪

1 - 20 of 45 Posts