Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my 2017 S on Saturday and it has the 21" Turbo wheels. I like the look of the Sport Classic wheels and may want to trade if there's anyone local (San Antonio, TX) who wants to swap. I'll take pictures Saturday and post them once I'm home.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Picking up my 2017 S on Saturday and it has the 21" Turbo wheels. I like the look of the Sport Classic wheels and may want to trade if there's anyone local (San Antonio, TX) who wants to swap. I'll take pictures Saturday and post them once I'm home.
How about 20 inch RS Spyder Design in satin black off a 2018 Macan GTS. BTW, congrats on your new car. I'm in the Austin area.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Who likes cleaning the turbo wheels?? Lol
Takes me @ 30 mins to properly clean all 4....plus wheel wells. Ugh..

GWLT op...
I tools from esoteric work like a charm . I had sport classic on one Macan . They are ok . I prefer the Turbo wheels (3 out of 4 macans got them ) .

To the op ... to each his own . Neither wheel is bad . Personally if i was wanting the wheel of choice I would be looking at HRE forged setups . I just cant see going for this on an SUV though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
OP if you were closer I’d certainly swap my sport classics with you. The pains of cleaning the turbo wheels don’t matter as I use hand wash services at the car wash. Not perfect but good enough for me. (Yes, I risk getting the paint swirls)

I actually prefer the look of 20” Spyders vs sport classics. From the descriptions on the Tequipment page, the sport classics note “one piece forged alloy” while the rs spyders don’t mention that same verbiage. I assume the omission means it is not as strong as a one piece forged wheel? Still forged but not one piece?

·
Registered
58 Posts
They do look great when clean!! I have Sonax and a 17inch wheel brush from Speed Master. Both help tremendously. A detailing towel plus soapy water ensures i get the tight spots.
Yeah.. I am a stickler when it comes to wheels.

·
Registered
386 Posts
20” Spyders are cast
I bought a set of matte black RS Spyder's from Wheel Enhancement a couple of years ago for a Cayenne and here's what he said about those:

4 958.362.151.00.JE1 New 9.5x20" Factory Cayenne RS-Spyder wheel, 2011-up, Matte Black (47mm)

The 9.5x20” RS-Spyder wheel is manufactured by BBS in Germany. This is a “Flowformed” aluminum wheel, a hybrid of both traditional cast and forging methods that reduces the weight of the barrel portion, as well as provide greater strength and reduced overall weight. These wheels weigh 33 pounds 11 ounces each, less than the 9x20” version of the wheel.

I have no idea if the Macan Spyder's are BBS or flow formed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about 20 inch RS Spyder Design in satin black off a 2018 Macan GTS. BTW, congrats on your new car. I'm in the Austin area.
Thanks! My heart's set on the SC wheels if I do make a swap, although the turbos have definitely grown on me. Not that I put a lot of stock into it, but others have commented how they like the wheels.

Who likes cleaning the turbo wheels?? Lol
Takes me @ 30 mins to properly clean all 4....plus wheel wells. Ugh..

GWLT op...
Just went through this Saturday when I washed, clayed and waxed the car and wheels. Definitely had me wishing there was some crazy invention the would press against the wheel and spin some brushes in all the nooks and crannies.

I tools from esoteric work like a charm . I had sport classic on one Macan . They are ok . I prefer the Turbo wheels (3 out of 4 macans got them ) .

To the op ... to each his own . Neither wheel is bad . Personally if i was wanting the wheel of choice I would be looking at HRE forged setups . I just cant see going for this on an SUV though.
By no means saying the turbo wheels are bad, in fact I actually like them on the car now, where I was indifferent when first looking at the car. I've always been a fan of simple/clean so the Sport Classics appeal to me from that aspect :) I'll have to check out the Esoteric brush you mentioned!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts