Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I just wanted to follow up. I don't know if there is anything better now in an all season, but for light snow these are the bomb in an all season.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lukewarm on these at best. They feel like they were designed for a much more mundane passenger vehicle than a Porsche.

Yes, much longer treadlife versus summer tires, very comfortable ride, and relatively quiet for an AS tire. Dry road grip and braking are good enough, but no better than that. Definitely felt more understeer with these tires.

Do not like the on center vagueness others mentioned. Especially noticeable on the Macan given that the steering is so good to start with. And they feel squirrelly when pushed hard. Feels like the sidewalls are soft, and assume that’s the reason for the very good ride quality.

Winter traction is decent for an AS tire. But where they really fall short is snow braking, and they our downright scary braking on ice. Assume the hard rubber compound used to achieve the excellent tread wear becomes a liability on ice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have experience with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and they are noticeably superior with steering feedback and handling. But they don’t yet make them in sizes to fit those of us who have 20 or 21 inch wheels.

I ended up going to summer and winter tires. I refused to give up the handling and steering that I paid so much money for, and I don’t think any of the A/S tires available cut the mustard for anything more than very light winter use.

But for some of us, even that is not a good solution. For example, one of my friends lives in the Colorado mountains, where he would love to use summer tires, but it’s just not feasible on a daily driver because he can’t rule out freezing conditions pretty much 12 months a year.

And then some of us face frozen conditions so seldom that winter tires makes no sense. But if you get stuck with summer tires on when it eventually does happen it’s a potential disaster.

So some of us really have no choice but to grin and bear the compromise of A/S tires. I feel bad for those folks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
N rated? I may not understand as N rating would suggest not above 87 miles per hr. I believe the Pirelli's and most other choices are R rated (106 MPH for trucks SUV's). The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are Z rated - and I'm now finding out they are available, but Porsche and Michelin aren't suggesting due to the standard brakes on the Macan....
I think he was referring to and meant ‘NO’ spec: ie Porsche approved. The lowest speed rating available as OEM on a Porsche is V (149mph/240kmh)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got the Scorpions on my VW and won't be getting them again. Road noise is now through the roof. I think they have maybe 20k on them.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts