Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you talking about the Latitude Alpins? How'd you like those in the snow? People on here and online seem to say they're pretty good for winter driving.
No sorry, just the Latitude Tour. They were very 'meh'.

For winter, I ran the Pirelli scorpions last year, they were good. I ran Blizzaks on my X5 before that and loved them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just got the Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS+ installed this week. I'll post my impressions after I have driven for a while, I've only put maybe 50 miles on them so far. It will be tough to compare them to the Latitude Sport 3s given the weather changes, honestly I am more interested to see how it feels when I put the Latitudes back on in the spring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So it's been a couple months. I haven't really noticed any degredation compared to my Latitude 3s and I actually pulled 1g today (according to PCM) so there is plenty of grip. Once I put the Latitudes back on in the summer I'll really be able to compare better, but pretty happy so far. Gas mileage seems lower but I am going to assume that's the colder weather and not the tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
My experience with them is that they ride as good as the summer tires, and definitely wear longer. I have not experienced any noise issues, at least not yet.

But there is a noticeable reduction in handling crispness and on center feel, which is really too bad as that is one of the strengths of the Macan.

But if you live in an area where the summer season is short and or unpredictable, you may have little choice.

They are OK in light snow, but I think you would be asking for trouble beyond that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S and they are great. Way better than the Latitude HP
why do you like them better than the Latitudes?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Latiitude vs Scorpion AS

My OEM Latitudes AS 's have about 34K miles are down 4MM in rears - it's time.

Im leaning towards the Scorpion Verde AS as replacement . Seems like the overall feedback/ reviews exceed those of the Latitudes- except for noise at higher mileage .

Anyone put 25- 30K miles on either / both have comment?

·
Registered
134 Posts
My OEM Latitudes AS 's have about 34K miles are down 4MM in rears - it's time.

Im leaning towards the Scorpion Verde AS as replacement . Seems like the overall feedback/ reviews exceed those of the Latitudes- except for noise at higher mileage .

Anyone put 25- 30K miles on either / both have comment?
This thread is about the Scorpion Zero, not the Verde. Consensus seems to be that the Verde isn't a great performance tire I think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put the Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus on my '15 Macan Turbo (21 inch) last October and now have about 5,000 miles on them. So far, I have not noticed much difference in steering reponse, maybe a little less crisp as compaired with the summer tires, and also, supprisingly quiet. Overall handling is very good, not much difference noted from the summer tires. I live in the mountains in So. Cal. and the Macan is my daily driver. I have to drive off the mountain every day in all kinds of weather. This winter has been very wet and snowy. The tires have performed flawlessly. I have not yet experienced any slip in the wet or on light snow. Wet traction is excellent. Light snow traction will get you home, but I would not want to drive such a wide tire in deep snow. I have also noticed less lateral jumping around caused by the treads catching on rain grooves on the highway. There is not much choice in the 21 inch size but so far, I am very please with this tire. At this point, for the kind of driving I do, I will not be changing back to summer tires. I will keep these on year-round.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have these on my GTS and I can't stand them. I drive the car hard, and I find if you tend to push the car at all, these tires do not have as much grip as dedicated summers. I have the winter version of this tire, and it's substantially better than the all-season. The winter tire has more grip in all conditions and is actually quite sticky.

I am going to look for a set of summer tires when the winter tires come off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's strange, I pulled 1g with the Zero AS+, so they have plenty of grip. I wouldn't expect a winter tire to have more grip in all conditions. Maybe you are talking about the Verde and not the Zero?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was wondering that myself. There is only one version of the Scorpion Zero AS+. There are different Scorpion AS's, but not the "Plus".

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have these on my GTS and I can't stand them. I drive the car hard, and I find if you tend to push the car at all, these tires do not have as much grip as dedicated summers. I have the winter version of this tire, and it's substantially better than the all-season. The winter tire has more grip in all conditions and is actually quite sticky.

I am going to look for a set of summer tires when the winter tires come off.
Of course they dont have as much grip as a summer tire, they're all seasons...

That's strange, I pulled 1g with the Zero AS+, so they have plenty of grips. I wouldn't expect a winter tire to have more grip in all conditions. Maybe you are talking about the Verde and not the Zero?
Im wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got It

seems like reading thru this thread there's reference to the scorpion verde all season plus , and the scorpion zero all season plus . the former is the Porsche OEM approved option , the latter is a newer non Porsche approved variant .

so what to do ?

Im going to replace my Michelin Latitudes with the Scorpion Zero All Season plus soon.Just want something different but still longer wearing and all season ...

Seem like a slight more aggressive tread pattern , stiffer sidewall and otherwise roughly equal to the scorpion verdes.

will keep you all posted

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I just got these installed this past week. My initial impression was not all that favorable. The Michelin Latitude Tour all seasons feel much better planted and provide a much more direct steering response, they are also a bit quieter.

The Zero all season plus are really positioned somewhere between the Latitudes and an off road tire. There's better feedback but a harsher ride. It's an aggressive tread. So initially I was thinking I made a mistake.

Today I drove back through a snow storm and was able to really test the snow/slush performance which was the reason I went with this tire and it greatly exceeded expectations. When I got home I was actually able to play with them in the vacant streets and really pushed them in the snow banks and ruts and these tires preformed nearly as well as a snowflake branded tire, the braking, steering and traction was incredible in these conditions. The tires were just aggressively cutting through the slush and snow and throwing it out of the way.

I think that those who are looking to the Macan as a sports car utility vehicle, will not like these tires and if you need an all season the Michelin are a great tire.

But if you're like me who does a little soft roading and is trying to maximize the snow traction in an all season, this is probably as good as is available right now for the 20's on the Macan.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So a thousand miles in and the tires have settled in. The steering response has improved and the vehicle feels well planted. We have had plenty of heavy rain and snow storms to try the tires out and in the worst of conditions the tires have shined. We'll see how they wear but to this point I would not hesitate getting these again.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
So a thousand miles in and the tires have settled in. The steering response has improved and the vehicle feels well planted. We have had plenty of heavy rain and snow storms to try the tires out and in the worst of conditions the tires have shined. We'll see how they wear but to this point I would not hesitate getting these again.
That's how I feel about the NO Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires too. They're good in light snow (not about to drive my Porsche in deep snow), tread life of 520, excellent wet grip, and they handle well when dry.

It's also why I bought these same tires for my 20" Summer wheels too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am not a fan of either of either the Scorpion Zero A/S + as well as the Verde A/S. Compared to this summer OEMs I don't like the loss of the crispness in handling and the more vague feeling on center. And the braking on snow and ice is fair at best. The wet braking with the Verde is a significant compromise.

On the other hand ride quality for both is actually decent, and treadwear is significantly better. The problem is one of the primary reasons that I bought a Macan was for the excellent handling, and I hate to do anything to detract from that. Of course for some of us, summer tires are simply not viable.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts