Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
After 5k miles, I've been very please with these tires. Less noise and better grip on dry pavement than the Michelin. Haven't really drove in wet condition due to the dry California weather.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Because it creates a lot of noise and combines all the information together. If someone is reading to find feedback about the Pirelli tires now they have to sort through totally off topic content. It's general etiquette for online message boards to try to keep threads on topic. The title of the post is "Pirelli Zero", not "All season tire discussion". Additionally it's not fair to the original poster, because now if he has a thread subscription, he is getting notifications for posts unrelated to his original question.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Another note, posting something off topic is something called "hijacking a thread" and it's basically the equivalent of what Kanye did to Tailor Swift.

Read this if I'm not explaining properly:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thread Hijacking
Oh please. Suggesting an alternative to the product being discussed does not constitute hijacking a thread.

If that was true, then your question on the PDK thread about what caused the failure when the OP was clearly just looking for information on what the repair involved would be a highjack also.

A much better example of a hijack would be your attempt to turn this tire thread into a lesson on internet etiquette.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh please. Suggesting an alternative to the product being discussed does not constitute hijacking a thread.

If that was true, then your question on the PDK thread about what caused the failure when the OP was clearly just looking for information on what the repair involved would be a highjack also.

A much better example of a hijack would be your attempt to turn this tire thread into a lesson on internet etiquette.
:) DanNYC very well said!

The main reason of this forum is to help each other, if this means more info, opinions and personal experience that can be helpful to fellow members, then is a good thing. I don't mind reading through the forum(s), even though sometimes discussions go off topic, because I always can learn something new from them.

As always, enjoy your cars and happy driving :)

·
Registered
134 Posts

If you re-read his original post, he did not post an alternative. He said he runs winter tires and was asking if anyone had experience with that specific brand of tire (not an all season, and not a pirelli). He did not even word it as a suggestion to the OP. To say it is on-topic here, a thread about all season tires (and more specifically by the title, Pirelli Zero), is a stretch at best, but I fail to see it. At least my question in the PDK thread was relevant to the OP's question and was directed at him. Hijacking would have been posting something like "does anyone know how much it would cost to replace a rear differential?" or "How much does a PDK fluid change cost?"

And you are right, this is hijacking this thread again so I am going to stop posting on the topic. The intention of my post was meant as a reminder of internet etiquette, but you have turned it into more than that by saying I am somehow wrong and then further bringing my post in another thread into it (thereby turning it into an attack on me personally). Further arguments of whether jt's post was on topic or not isn't productive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you re-read his original post, he did not post an alternative. He said he runs winter tires and was asking if anyone had experience with them. To say it is on-topic here, a thread about all season tires, is a stretch at best, but I fail to see it. At least my question in the PDK thread was relevant to the OP's question and was directed at him.
It seems you have a lot of spare time on your hands and I don't! The discussion drifted to winter driving as well and I shared my opinion, after driving for many years, several suv and performance cars, that by having a dedicated season tire is a wise thing to do, at least for me. Case closed you like it or not.

·
Registered
937 Posts

/forum/images/MacanForum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png DanNYC very well said!

The main reason of this forum is to help each other, if this means more info, opinions and personal experience that can be helpful to fellow members, then is a good thing. I don't mind reading through the forum(s), even though sometimes discussions go off topic, because I always can learn something new from them.

As always, enjoy your cars and happy driving /forum/images/MacanForum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
After being a member of this forum for about 15 months my observation is that the threshold for a post being considered to be hijacking a thread is higher versus other forums that I participate in.

Just seems to be the nature of many of the discussions here. Like JT, I think many of us just simply enjoy chatting about our Macans and most of the time have little issue as to where the conversation takes us.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Time for some new tires. I 've had the Latitude Tour HP and it's been good overall but noisy on rough roads.

I was browsing through Tire Rack and these seems to be new with no feedback on their site.

Pirelli Socrpion Zero All Season Plus
Just passed 2500 miles on my Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires on 19 inch wheels and really like them so far. Came standard on my 18 S. Very quiet with solid vice-like grip in the rain - absolutely no tendency to hydroplane. I live on top of a mountain with a spectacular average 25% grade winding road up it for 1.5 miles. The Macan flies up it in the rain on rails with these tires. Grazed a curb with one tire pulling out of a tight parking space and it sucked it up with absolutely no damage to the tire. Haven't had it on snow (yet). So far would give these tires 5 stars out of 5.

I stand corrected. I have Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires OEM on my 19" wheels. I also still stand by everything I said about them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just passed 2500 miles on my Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires on 19 inch wheels and really like them so far. Came standard on my 18 S. Very quiet with solid vice-like grip in the rain - absolutely no tendency to hydroplane. I live on top of a mountain with a spectacular average 25% grade winding road up it for 1.5 miles. The Macan flies up it in the rain on rails with these tires. Grazed a curb with one tire pulling out of a tight parking space and it sucked it up with absolutely no damage to the tire. Haven't had it on snow (yet). So far would give these tires 5 stars out of 5.
Came Standard on your 18 S? So does that mean these are now N0 rated? Is there an "N0" stamp on the sidewall of yours tires?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Just ordered a set !!!

Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
Came Standard on your 18 S? So does that mean these are now N0 rated? Is there an "N0" stamp on the sidewall of yours tires?

I'm not driving the Macan today; I'll check when I get home. However, I noticed on the current Porsche listing of "N" approved tires that for the 19" wheels, it's the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and for the 20"/21 wheels, it's the Pirelli P-Zero.

https://files1.porsche.com/filestore/download/usa/none/porscheservice-tire-currentsummertires/default/19cea30a-33d9-11e6-9225-0019999cd470/Summer-tire-overview-current-models.pdf

I thought I had Pirelli P-Zeros but I may have been wrong. I'll double check when I get home.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm not driving the Macan today; I'll check when I get home. However, I noticed on the current Porsche listing of "N" approved tires that for the 19" wheels, it's the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and for the 20"/21 wheels, it's the Pirelli P-Zero.

https://files1.porsche.com/filestore/download/usa/none/porscheservice-tire-currentsummertires/default/19cea30a-33d9-11e6-9225-0019999cd470/Summer-tire-overview-current-models.pdf

I thought I had Pirelli P-Zeros but I may have been wrong. I'll double check when I get home.
Ahh the P-Zero is the summer tire. The "Scorpion Verde" is a bit confusing. I think it's a lower performance all season, but maybe there is a summer versino too? The "Scorpion Zero" in this thread is the new high performance all season which they recently released, which AFAIK isn't N rated so probably won't be OEM equipment on any Macans.

·
Registered
449 Posts

I stand corrected. I have Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires OEM on my 19" wheels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 20" Scorpion Verde All Season tires came on my 18 GTS. So far, so good. The ride is smooth, they're not noisy, and they have been fine in the rain.

I'm in New England and I'm going to try and rock them in the winter. I don't typically drive during blizzards anyway, so thinking I'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I had the Michelin all-seasons on my first Macan S and Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S on my Macan GTS. The Pirelli's definitely feel like a better tire in terms of noise. They also seem better in rain and light snow traction.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just drove my 18 GTS in less than an inch of snow with the Scorpion Verde All Seasons and I will be buying a dedicated winter set. Didn't feel a lot of grip and was definitely sliding on even some fairly gentle slopes.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts