Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi rcristobal, I"ve not taken delivery of my Macan S yet - but not happy with the current tire choices. Depends on your driving habits and what type tires (summer, all weather, etc) you are looking should determine your direction (if all weather - you are limited). I see your from NorCal like me. I've not had good luck with prior Pirelli P zeros on sports cars (noisy and very noisy in the rain) but that could be due to aggressive tread design. Can't comment on the scorpions for SUV's maybe someone else that has them can chime in.

I test drove a bunch of Macans - several for choosing tire size (19 or 20). Yes, I had a good SA... 19's rode slightly softer than 20's but the tires on the 19's (continentals) were much noisier in transferring noise back into the cabin than the 20's (pirellis). both macan's were base with non-PASM air suspension.

I will be talking to my America Tire's manager as he's directed me to some good tires in the past - and if I'm not happy - he's switched them out (yes used) for different tires with no cost. I'll be looking to see if I can get Michelin's Pilot Sports onto the Macan (same tire rating and load rating). Very soft, sticky tires and very predicable at high speed corning. While they are warrantied to 30,000, I've never been able to get past 25,000 mi due to spirited driving on all of the back roads here in NorCal.

·
Registered
611 Posts
No tires on DT website

Is the tire choice availability that poor for the MACAN with 20 or 21 inch rims? I looked on Discount Tire and they do not have complete sets available for either size, summer or A/S. :eek:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Is the tire choice availability that poor for the MACAN with 20 or 21 inch rims? I looked on Discount Tire and they do not have complete sets available for either size, summer or A/S. :eek:
If that's the case you need to look elsewhere. That being said, choices are relatively limited, especially with the 21's, and moreover with 21 A/S's. But tires are readily available.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Time for some new tires. I 've had the Latitude Tour HP and it's been good overall but noisy on rough roads.

I was browsing through Tire Rack and these seems to be new with no feedback on their site.

Pirelli Socrpion Zero All Season Plus
These were standard on my '17 S in 19" wheel size. 13K miles probably 1/2 worn. Pretty quiet and holds the road. N rated, there are very few N rated tires and I dont know if Porsche will stand behind if issues arise when not using N rated tires

·
Registered
298 Posts
You may need to go talk directly with a dealer since they can cross-match tires that we the public may not be able to pull from online searches that manufacturers may state limitations for (if your pulling a trailer, the Michelin or Pirelli summer tires probably won't work). Like Shark stated - tires are available and having 21's may limit them if you have that size. I looked up Michelins on America Tire website and noted same size and rating and load limits for the michelin sports which I've enjoyed on other sport cars and my mechanic says that's the desired tire for my driving style (as long as I don't mind wearing them out quickly...). My America Tire manager gives me a price break due to the extra cost and I get all my tires from him.

...Haven't been on Laguna Seca since my BMW M roadster. Northern California is blessed with some great roads (2 of which make road & track's top 10) which include the coastal highway 1 and gold country's highway 49 (best off-season). I particularly like the Valley of the Moon (highway 128) - between Lake Berryessa and Napa. smiles per mile...(or should I say smiles per corner).

·
Registered
298 Posts
These were standard on my '17 S in 19" wheel size. 13K miles probably 1/2 worn. Pretty quiet and holds the road. N rated, there are very few N rated tires and I dont know if Porsche will stand behind if issues arise when not using N rated tires
N rated? I may not understand as N rating would suggest not above 87 miles per hr. I believe the Pirelli's and most other choices are R rated (106 MPH for trucks SUV's). The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are Z rated - and I'm now finding out they are available, but Porsche and Michelin aren't suggesting due to the standard brakes on the Macan....

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Lagunaseca,

Thanks for the info. I use the Macan as a daily mostly on comfort and sometimes sports/+. The noise would probably be worse if I didn't have the noise insulation glass. I will probably get a Pirelli just to try something different.
Yes, those NorCal backroads will eat up your tires and I would be happy if they lasted 25,000 miles.

If you are not happy with the tires when you get your car and if I am still looking for a set let me know and I can probably buy it off you as long as it is 20's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Scorpion or Latitude?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Lagunaseca,

Thanks for the info. I use the Macan as a daily mostly on comfort and sometimes sports/+. The noise would probably be worse if I didn't have the noise insulation glass. I will probably get a Pirelli just to try something different.
Yes, those NorCal backroads will eat up your tires and I would be happy if they lasted 25,000 miles.

If you are not happy with the tires when you get your car and if I am still looking for a set let me know and I can probably buy it off you as long as it is 20's.
If you do get the Pirelli Scorpions, let me know how you like them (noise / ride). Mine too will be my daily driver - I just drive all over No Calif for my job as well as for recreation... Comfort for those days on I-5 or I-80 - sports mode for those backroad days to locations north or west toward North Bay or North Coast...

·
Registered
611 Posts
My guess is he is referring to N spec (tires approved by Porsche).
Think in this case they are referring to the load range, N is the highest on that scale , no way is it the speed rating.

Load Range Ply Rating
A 2
B 4
C 6
D 8
E 10
F 12
G 14
H 16
J 18
L 20
M 22
N 24

·
Registered
298 Posts
Think in this case they are referring to the load range, N is the highest on that scale , no way is it the speed rating..../QUOTE]

Being new to Porsche - did some online research. This is what I found: N spec refers to tires that Porsche approves as OEM replacements. Different manufactures may specify OEM replacements. Info came from the Tire Rack site info:

From Tire Rack's website:

TIRE TECH
Original Equipment Tire Designations

Since tires play such an important role in establishing the personality of a vehicle, numerous vehicle manufacturers require their tire suppliers identify some or all of their Original Equipment (OE) tires with symbols or codes branded on the sidewalls that confirm the tire's original use.

The vehicle and tire manufacturer's goal is to make it easier for the owners to identify and select exact replacements when the Original Equipment tires wear out because matching the original tires exactly helps maintain the vehicle's intended personality.

Unfortunately many vehicles wear out tires in pairs (rather than sets of four) due to a lack of maintenance or when equivalent tread wear can't be achieved through periodic tire rotation. While it can't make up for performance differences due to tread depth, it is most important to match new tires to those originally used on the vehicle when replacing tires in pairs.

The following list provides the symbols or codes currently in use:

Make Vehicle Symbols/Codes

Aston Martin Some Vehicles A4A; AMS; AM2; AM8; AM9; AMR; AMX

Audi Some Vehicles A; AO; RO1; RO2

BMW Some Vehicles 5-Pointed Star Symbol

Chrysler Some Dodge Vipers C1

Ferrari Some Vehicles F; K-1; K-2

Jaguar Some Vehicles J; "J" in a circle

Lamborghini Some Vehicles L

Lotus Some Vehicles LTS

Maserati Some Vehicles MGT

McLaren All Vehicles MC; MC1

Mercedes Some Vehicles MOl; MO1

Porsche All Vehicles N-0 (N-Zero) N-1 (N-One)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have these. They are really good after 1000 miles (dry and wet). Check the pirelli website, these beat the scorpion verde AS (N0, porsche oem) in EVERY category, plus they are Y rated so u can drive a 1/2 mile race if u wanted to. Only downsides are they are not N0 (porsche tested oem equipment) and they do not have winter reviews yet because theyre new. The lack of N0 rating didnt deter me because pirelli told me they are better than the oem ones that came on my macan (verde AS), and in 6my experience.. they are far superior!

Ps i have driven these both highway cruising and bal1s to the f**king wall in my turbo with steel suspension. They are excellent for both.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Time for some new tires. I 've had the Latitude Tour HP and it's been good overall but noisy on rough roads.

I was browsing through Tire Rack and these seems to be new with no feedback on their site.

Pirelli Socrpion Zero All Season Plus
My 21" Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus Tires really outshine the Conti's that came with the car. I didn't like the harsh characteristics of those tires, and I kept getting nail flats.

These Pirelli tires are much more quiet and compliant - yet I feel I haven't lost any handling advantages a true summer tire offers. But for what my needs are, and where I live, I wanted practicality, and comfort. On regular roads, the ride is smooth as butter. On rough roads, the harshness is absorbed very well, and there is zero tramlining. I was quite amazed with these tires, and very happy with my choice.

I purchased them from my local Discount Tire shop, and it took them a few weeks to arrive, but the wait was well worth it. I highly recommend these tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have Pirelli Scorpions my Macan S with about 18,000 miles. They are very quiet and easy to live with although the handling may not be as sharp as the Michelin Pilots. I have owned several sets Michelin Pilot sports on both an Infiniti G35 coupe and a BMW Z3. They are excellent handling tires but noisy - particularly after 15,000 miles. I got rid of a set with a lot of tread life remaining because the noise was very unpleasant on the G35 coupe.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts