Porsche Macan Forum banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the exact same problem, 2015 Macan S, 52k miles. Twitter and chirping at 1200 rpm. Regardless of gear.

Also, took the Macan S to local Porsche dealership. They investigated and found one of the flat welded ties on the mid-pipe to muffler assembly to be cracked. The tie is just aft of the connection clamps to the down pipe, and ahead of the small cross/h-pipe. There is a duplicate welded on top of the pipes that is not broken. Porsche said if the car was still under factory warranty, they would replace the whole mid-pipe to muffler assembly. Cost would be $3500. Service advisor knew I did not want to spend that, and said I could just have the tie welded.
Took it home, and saw the tie was redundant and not really necessary, so I cut it off. Noise still occurs, so it was not the tie.
Took to pals house and put on lift. Put in gear and ran at 1200 rpm, in gears 1-6. Heard some of the noise, but could not get same intensity of chirp/twitter. Noises were coming from various places on exhaust pipe, but mostly from down pipe flex joints. At 1200 rpm the whole exhaust shakes, much more than at any other engine speed. Definitely related to harmonic vibrations at that rpm.
So, does anyone know of a TSB for the downpipes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, took the Macan S to local Porsche dealership. They investigated and found one of the flat welded ties on the mid-pipe to muffler assembly to be cracked. The tie is just aft of the connection clamps to the down pipe, and ahead of the small cross/h-pipe. There is a duplicate welded on top of the pipes that is not broken. Porsche said if the car was still under factory warranty, they would replace the whole mid-pipe to muffler assembly. Cost would be $3500. Service advisor knew I did not want to spend that, and said I could just have the tie welded.
Took it home, and saw the tie was redundant and not really necessary, so I cut it off. Noise still occurs, so it was not the tie.
Took to pals house and put on lift. Put in gear and ran at 1200 rpm, in gears 1-6. Heard some of the noise, but could not get same intensity of chirp/twitter. Noises were coming from various places on exhaust pipe, but mostly from down pipe flex joints. At 1200 rpm the whole exhaust shakes, much more than at any other engine speed. Definitely related to harmonic vibrations at that rpm.
So, does anyone know of a TSB for the downpipes?

So, funny development; put the car up this am, and put an 8 inch hose clamp over the cross tie that broke. Test drove, and no more noise! So, will be welding a new cross tie on for permanent fix.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks SoCalS5. Good to see. No warranty available to me (52k miles) so I snagged some downpipes off a 2016 Macan S that have differently made flex joints. Will install those, and fabricate a permanent bracket around the mid pipes.

·
Registered
2017 Macan Turbo
51 Posts
Hi everyone, I am challenged when it comes to anything online/tech related so my apologies for not knowing how to post properly. Anyway I wanted to followup and let you know that the chirping noise I was experiencing was a faulty resonator (I believe that is what they said) in the front down pipes of the exhaust. They replaced them (down pipes) and the sound is gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my 2015 S after 50k, out of warranty. Mid pipe tie was broken. Cause was down pipes that were too flexy and made harmonic vibrations @1200 rpm. Found mid pipes from 2016 S on eBay, which had far stronger braided covering over flex joints. There is no resonator, there are flex joints in each of the two down pipes. Replaced the original, which I could flex by hand, with the new tougher ones from the 2016. My buddy also welded a new thicker tie to the broken one on the mid pipes. No vibration or noise now. Porsche knows the problem, and redesigned the down pipes to fix, but are not proactively replacing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I didn't read through this thread carefully but with mine, the chirping is the blower motor. Try turning the fan of the HVAC off. My noise goes away instantly. Unfortunately, they have not come up with a replacement blower motor without this flaw.

Art

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just read ALL 15 pages here......what was the final fix for the noise SMLBOB captured in his video please...anyone :)
Down pipes flex pipes ?? tSB ? P/n ?
Thank you
I second this request - experiencing the exact same noise captured in the video on my brand new '18 Macan. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
How did you go at getting this fixed? My dealer recorded exactly that rising and falling vibration sound and sent it to Germany (I think) for analysis. They say it's caused by Alternator (?) under load though it's not the Alt itself it is something that then gets triggered in an area (I propose inside the dash unit fitted in one go on production) that they cannot reach or fix. I told the service guys I didn't see an astrix on the brochure giving me a free irritating noise but they aren't seeing it as something that's there responsibility. I don't think it's good enough for this quality of vehicle. As a side point a few guys have suggested it is possibly a loose clam shell hood hinge but I haven't mentioned that to them.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Don’t think there was/is... I too have the dreaded “idle hoot” / noise. Have been reading about it for weeks.... just assuming at this point I have to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's unfortunate. Just to clarify, the noise you are experiencing is intermittent, correct? Only heard during idle and at slow speeds and goes away once ventilation is turned off? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
I checked my idle pigeon cooing noise yesterday by opening the hood while idling the engine. The noise is from the front side of engine around the engine cooling fan area.

Once I press the Sport mode button the noise disappears or is masked. So I think it may be some kind of resonance of various moving parts.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I checked my idle pigeon cooing noise yesterday by opening the hood while idling the engine. The noise is from the front side of engine around the engine cooling fan area.

Once I press the Sport mode button the noise disappears or is masked. So I think it may be some kind of resonance of various moving parts.

This is correct. Pressing sport ups the Idle RPMs, hence changing the resonance... I only here it at idle rpms in Comfort mode.

And from everything I’ve read in the forum(s), no fix. Just a design flaw of some sort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi to all Porsche owners wondering what the F the robot pigeon sound coming from their engine is.... I’ve owned my Macan GTS 2018 model for about a month and sadly noticed this noise from day 2. I made a complaint immediately back to Porsche Mid Sussex UK (where I bought it ) and credit to them, they had it looked at pretty much immediately. Whilst they admit to the noise, like the Porsche “characteristic” squeaky break syndrome, this pigeon chirp is also one of these issues. The sound apparently comes from a high pressure valve/tube that’s found in turbo/gts engines across the range. (Even GT3’s)

I’ve heard that there is a replacement pump that can be fitted to reduce the sound but I feel it maybe something that is just part of driving such a decent brand. I hope !!

·
Registered
754 Posts
No idea... still have the noise... don’t hear it 100% of the time, but hear it enough that’s for sure.

I just try to ignore it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I didn't hear this all summer and when it started getting cool again I heard it. I'm almost certain it's related to running the heater. It only started coming up again as temperatures dropped below 70 degrees, and if I turn off the climate control system the noise seems to go away. Doesn't really bother me, but just wanted to post an update here for anyone looking into the issue.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts