Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a biggie but when I'm sitting in gear at idle I can hear a faint chirping like noise, kind of like exhaust maybe but not rattling, more humming. Disappears when moving. Likely something loose in the undercarriage Cant seem to spot where its coming from. Anyone have anything like that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
At about 300 miles on my Macan I starting noticing a noise at idle, and low RPM's, that is almost like a higher pitch hum/moan that comes and goes. It sounds almost like a belt rubbing, or maybe turbo whine. It does not really change tone when reving the engine. I do not think the sound existed for the first week of driving the car either. The fact it does it at idle makes me doubt it is a turbo-cause whine but I have little experience/knowledge to make this conclusion. The noise is not excessive so I am not sure if I am just being picky.

I read posts of a similar noise on other new 991 Porsches and even one Macan that was caused by a oil separator vent that was defective - all new cars. The Macan post I read on this forum is from 11-13-14 : Search on "Direct Injection = Gunk on Intake Valves?"

I plan to ask at the dealer after the holidays to check it. Please post if you find out more too!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At about 300 miles on my Macan I starting noticing a noise at idle, and low RPM's, that is almost like a higher pitch hum/moan that comes and goes. It sounds almost like a belt rubbing, or maybe turbo whine. It does not really change tone when reving the engine. I do not think the sound existed for the first week of driving the car either. The fact it does it at idle makes me doubt it is a turbo-cause whine but I have little experience/knowledge to make this conclusion. The noise is not excessive so I am not sure if I am just being picky.

I read posts of a similar noise on other new 991 Porsches and even one Macan that was caused by a oil separator vent that was defective - all new cars. The Macan post I read on this forum is from 11-13-14 : Search on "Direct Injection = Gunk on Intake Valves?"

I plan to ask at the dealer after the holidays to check it. Please post if you find out more too!
YES YES YES! Thats exactly what it sounds like. Its not dangerous to drive on is it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have been experiencing this and mentioned it in other threads. It has been there for a while now. It sounds like coming from the firewall under the steering wheel from the engine bay.
First time I told my Service Adviser, as soon as I start the car and waiting the little punk didn't make any noise. Second time few weeks later when the noise was far worse, the SA witnessed the noise.
Apparently they opened the engine cover and couldn't find it and after everything was put back the noise was gone, but its back again but minor. I will get to end of this issue on the next visit :D (at least I am hoping)

·
Registered
37 Posts

I captured the idle chirp/belt type noise on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XzO7Kox9ss&list=UUacIDpPN9E0dE8QdihKcr7g

Has anyone identified yet what is the cause?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Something sounds loose, like it's resonating with the engine.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the oil spectator go on my 997. It gave off a distinctive vacuum-like sound that cycled, as if the engine were gasping for air.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have this same sound on my Turbo. It seems to come and go - sometimes it's really bad and then I won't hear it again for weeks

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's the Porsche VTL indicator.
It's an option on the S and Turbo that allow the driver to know when their Radio has the "Volume Too Low"

:)

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
37 Posts
To me that sounds identical to the sound that we're taking about at idle.
now I can add that the whistle sound started with my car this week, in addition to a similar chirp at idle. I never heard the whistle until 1100 mile point, and it is loud at times. I do think they are related. I captured the whistle in video too.

Sounds similar to @TripleZ video.

If anyone can get a diagnosis from a dealer with a replacement part number please post.

@1BlueMacan stated in the Known Issues List sticky that his service center replaced an oil seperator to fix a whistle noise. I cannot find a location of an oil seperator in the engine to see if that is my issue. I never had the whistle exactly until this week!

I think another trip to a service center is needed since it has moved from slightly annoying to something is likely failing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
To me that sounds identical to the sound that we're taking about at idle.
Maybe...... I think the one at idle is a bit more of a vibration / resonance. And at least on my car, the idle noise is 50/50 for repeatability. First time I dropped it off for the dealer to check, it never made the sound.

But, Ill let everyone know if they fix the other noise, and the idle sound goes away.

Thanks @SMLBOB, I forwarded your video and this thread onto the service team at my dealership.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the same here.
Do you think we had to go to dealer?

I don't think it's a real problem

I wait for you

·
Registered
145 Posts
Regarding the whistle, I posted the service information on the known issues list. The whistle on my car was reproducible when the engine was warm. It took a about a minute with the engine idling for it to start, and I only heard it from outside. It did sound a little like a belt rubbing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
While I wait here impatiently for my march delivery , I have a chance to go through these threads , with that said could it be that the whistle or chirp or humming when driving is a result of the unique airflow system via the intake manifold set up , 2 air filters and the clamshell air scooper ...... Kinda reminds me of the old ram air set up where it would snort in air except this thing sucks in air cleanly and then gets the turbo aid/push. Just saying sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.

·
Registered
912 Posts
While I wait here impatiently for my march delivery , I have a chance to go through these threads , with that said could it be that the whistle or chirp or humming when driving is a result of the unique airflow system via the intake manifold set up , 2 air filters and the clamshell air scooper ...... Kinda reminds me of the old ram air set up where it would snort in air except this thing sucks in air cleanly and then gets the turbo aid/push. Just saying sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.
I highly doubt it, at least on mine. The "whistle / warbling" sound at 50mph only started this week after 11k miles. I checked the induction system pretty thoroughly as I originally thought it was a boost hose leak. Update from the dealer today, no source of issue, but they have a call into Porsche.

The idle "rattle/whistle" has been on my car since new. I originally thought it might have been a loose heat shield. Also found a piece of plastic that was causing a different noise. But like others have speculated, I think it has something to do with the turbo waste-gate or air-oil separator. Its MUCH less annoying, and I think its just a characteristic of the car....not necessarily something thats failing.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts