Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 21 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? I purchased a 2015 Macan a month ago. I am in the process of registering here in Virginia. Today I failed the safety inspection. Evidently, when the high beams (headlights) are switched on, the fog lights do not turn off. I personally don't care, but I need to somehow pass. Porsche guesses 2-3 hours labor to fix. Has anyone had this problem? Anyway to pass? Thank you for helping me

·
Premium Member
6,254 Posts
You can just disconnect the fog lights. I never use them.

·
Premium Member
6,254 Posts
Or unplug them.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,254 Posts
Are fog lights even required? Some cars don‘t even have them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
BigMacVA. I just checked mine after reading this since I just had a safety inspection last week at my Porsche dealer service department (in Virginia) and passed. My fogs don't go out when I switch to brights. Have them show you specifically where that is required as part of the safety inspection. I couldn't find that requirement. I think all of our Macans in Virginia with fog lights would fail if that is really a requirement. I doubt only two of us have the same. You can search for "virginia motor vehicle safety inspection manual" and read about fog lights. Look at page 64, item 13. I don't see anything that would fail a safety inspection for what you said they failed yours for. I recently read that soon Virginia may no longer require safety inspections for motor vehicles.

13. f. 1). "Lamps are not wired and aimed according to the following instructions:1)Fog lamps are general illumination lamps as covered in subsection A of this section. They must burn through the tail light circuit even if on a separate switch. If installed on a vehicle with a four-headlamp system, or a vehicle equipped with driving lamps, they must be wired into the low beam circuit."

Do we even have a "four-headlamp system"? It doesn't say anything about "when the high beams (headlights) are switched on, the fog lights do not turn off". IF we had a four-headlamp system then "must be wired into the low beam circuit" is what they are interpreting the requirement as. Mine passed though and our Macans behave exactly the same as I'm sure do all Macans. Puzzling!

·
Super Moderator
8,932 Posts
13. f. 1). "Lamps are not wired and aimed according to the following instructions:1)Fog lamps are general illumination lamps as covered in subsection A of this section. They must burn through the tail light circuit even if on a separate switch. If installed on a vehicle with a four-headlamp system, or a vehicle equipped with driving lamps, they must be wired into the low beam circuit."

Do we even have a "four-headlamp system"? It doesn't say anything about "when the high beams (headlights) are switched on, the fog lights do not turn off". IF we had a four-headlamp system then "must be wired into the low beam circuit" is what they are interpreting the requirement as. Mine passed though and our Macans behave exactly the same as I'm sure do all Macans. Puzzling!
This might be a case of law not keeping up with technology or the inspector not having a clue as to what they are looking at. Are the headlights LED?

"Fog ... if installed they must operate and be inspected. Inspect for and reject if: ...

Lamps are not wired and aimed according to the following instructions: ...They must burn through the tail light circuit even if on a separate switch."

So if the fogs are on, then the tail lights must be on.

"If installed on a vehicle with a four-headlamp system, or a vehicle equipped with driving lamps, they must be wired into the low beam circuit."

This covers things like xenon for low beams and halogen used for the high beams. Not sure how the LED headlights work. The bi-xenon lights should be four headlamps. But the LED?

·
Super Moderator
2,184 Posts
FWIW, the bi-xenons include four headlamps and only one on each side is functional for
both low and high beam settings. Two are dummies (to be used with no visible light lasers! think Dr. Evil - "laser")

It may have been expedient to use the same four headlamp design for both halogen and bi-xenon configurations.

?

·
Registered
67 Posts
As I recall the drivers test, at least here in California, one of the questions pertains to the use of high or low beams under fog conditions. The right answer is low beam as the high beams in fog can provide glare back to the driver. So logically at least, there is a case that you would never have your fog lights on at the same time you have your high beams on. Many cars are wired in such a way, that you can not have your high beams on, while your fog lights are on. I really see no harm in having both on, but did make sense in earlier times when high beams were a high amp consumer, and you did not need to add to that by having the load of the fog lights on. This goes back in time. I have a '71 Alfa GTV, that is wired in just this manner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BigMacVA. I just checked mine after reading this since I just had a safety inspection last week at my Porsche dealer service department (in Virginia) and passed. My fogs don't go out when I switch to brights. Have them show you specifically where that is required as part of the safety inspection. I couldn't find that requirement. I think all of our Macans in Virginia with fog lights would fail if that is really a requirement. I doubt only two of us have the same. You can search for "virginia motor vehicle safety inspection manual" and read about fog lights. Look at page 64, item 13. I don't see anything that would fail a safety inspection for what you said they failed yours for. I recently read that soon Virginia may no longer require safety inspections for motor vehicles.

Otto,

Thank you very much for your research. After looking and doing more research, I think they are working properly and designed that way. I called the Porsche dealer in Tysons, and they concur what you said- they stay on...

If any other members here had a second, can they check their Macans please?

Thank you again

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did check mine, but you may not like the answer. On my 2017 GTS, with PDLS, (LED), the fog lights turn off, if the high beam is activated. The manner in which to turn on the fog lights is not intuitive, at least for me. You must turn the rotary light switch all the way clockwise. Then if you pull out on the knob to the first position, you have front fog lights. If you pull it out to the second position, you have front and rear fog lights. In either of these if you switch from low beam to high beam, the front fog lights turn off, the rear fog light stays on.

Per chance is the inspector confusing Daytime Running Lights with fog lights?

·
Super Moderator
8,932 Posts
I did check mine, but you may not like the answer. On my 2017 GTS, with PDLS, (LED), the fog lights turn off, if the high beam is activated. ...Per chance is the inspector confusing Daytime Running Lights with fog lights?
This is correct. Factory installed fogs on any car are wired to the low beam circuit simply because for many states, if not all, its illegal to have fog lights on with high beams. I doubt they are going to have different cars circuits built for different US states. That makes no sense.

Put the low beams on directly, not in Auto, Put on the low beams. Put on the fogs. Click the high beams and the fogs will go out.

I think @justsam might be right. Did the inspector know what he was looking at?

·
Registered
174 Posts
From grim: "Put the low beams on directly, not in Auto, Put on the low beams. Put on the fogs. Click the high beams and the fogs will go out." I just did mine again exactly the same as last time thinking last time I might have done something weird. Fog lights do not go out on my '16S when high beams are selected. My Macan was produced Nov. '15 so it had its initial safety inspection in mid to late December when it was first sold and every year since. So safety inspections in Virginia in '15, '16, '17, '18, 19, and two weeks ago - 2020. Six safety inspections at Porsche dealership service departments (two separate ones) and not one failure for this. Something is amiss. I'll ask next year when it goes in for its annual service and safety inspection - if Virginia still requires them then. Or before that time if one of their service techs show up at our monthly PCA meet. If by some miracle it is a problem I will still be under warranty thanks to certified preowned purchase.

1 - 21 of 36 Posts