Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this subject has ever been discussed here, but a search I did found nothing. If I am wrong, I apologize, but I had something happen to my Macan a few weeks ago that I thought might be of interest to this group. The car is a 2015 Macan S with ca. 30K miles on it. It does not have “Entry and Drive” option, just the standard fob/key in an ignition switch.

I drove into the garage, switched the ignition off and removed the fob/key from the switch. As I opened the driver's door to get out, a chime sounded and a message came on to the right side of the instrument display telling me to remove the key from the ignition switch. The fob/key was already out and in my hand. I reinserted this and removed it several times with the same result. The lights all stayed on and the radio continued to play even though the fob/key was out and in my hand.

Then things got scary. Thinking this might end if I just started the car up again and then stopped it, I inserted the fob/key and started the engine. Then, when I went to turn the fob/key counter-clockwise to shut off the engine, I found that it was locked and I could not turn the car off or remove the fob/key. What to do? I found the little cover over the slot on the lower left of the front of the ignition switch, pried it off, and inserted a small probe about the diameter of a larger paper clip wire and the fob/key then was able to be turned counter-clockwise again and removed. The engine shut off, but the car still thought that I had not removed the fob/key and the lights, radio, etc. all stayed on. I disconnected the (new) battery to keep it from discharging.

I used my Durametric tool to look for failure codes. The only one that made any sense was one for the front body control module that said “electric ignition switch 6, open circuit”. The next day I drove to my indie shop where they installed a new ignition switch ($560). Problem solved.

I must say that it is really scary to have your ignition switch lock you out of being able to turn off your engine and the accessories. If I had not been at home in my own garage with my tools, I am not sure what I could have done if I could not have shut off the engine and disconnected the battery. Porsches should be better than this.:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
......I must say that it is really scary to have your ignition switch lock you out of being able to turn off your engine and the accessories. If I had not been at home in my own garage with my tools, I am not sure what I could have done if I could not have shut off the engine and disconnected the battery.....
Thanks for highlighting this issue.

For everyone's benefit, there is a tool stored in the dash left side fuse box for emergency removal of the key.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2017-macan-manual/14/311/Emergency-release-of-the-vehicle-key-operating-device

1 - 2 of 2 Posts