Porsche Macan Forum banner

Factory roof rack installation problem

12K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Jammer005 
#1 ·
So I was trying to install the factory roof rack today. The front rack installed just fine. However, when I tried to install the rear one, the pegs on the rack don't line up with the holes in the rail; the pegs seem to ride too high up to fit in the holes. This is the case for both the left and right sides. And yes, I made sure I didn't mix up the left and right sides.

For the front rack, the pegs slid easily into the holes on both sides, so it's pretty disconcerting that the rear ones don't line up.

Has anyone else had this problem when installing the factory roof rack? Am I doing something wrong?

I'd take it into service but unfortunately the service departments are closed on weekends.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Well I guess nobody had this problem haha...

Anyway I tried installing it again and lo and behold, everything fit this time. What I did differently this time was put both racks on the roof before tightening any of the screws (I had fully installed and tightened the front rack the first time prior to even attempting the rear one). Then I tightened each of the 4 screws little by little, which is actually what it recommends in the manual. I think if you fully tighten the ones on one rack first, it may warp the rail enough that the other rack won't fit properly.

I hope this helps anyone who might have the same issue in the future...

#4 ·
I'll benefit from it so thanks for posting. I've had my roof rack setting around for a year now and just haven't needed it yet, but will one of these days. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: WHT TGR
#5 ·
Yep. Instructions say to loosely tighten all sides, then tighten alternating sides/racks (driver front, passenger rear, passenger front, driver rear) to balance things out. Roof rails visibly move/bow when you tighten on of the cross bars...

#8 ·
I'm glad you posted this, Spielzug, and I'm glad this Forum exists as a resource because ... well, the local shop, which is otherwise very good, sure didn't have this answer to the bowing that I was seeing (and worrying about).

When you tighten them, are you able to get the little triangles on the tool to line up at exactly 8 nm? The guys at the shop were kinda "hmmm, maybe that's too tight" because of the bowing, but if the rails won't peel off :eek:, I want the tightness to be what the owner's manual said it should be.

#9 ·
I no longer try for the full 8Nm. That seems like a lot of strain to me. I suppose I might if I were going to be putting a maximal load up there for a crosse-country journey, but my uses of the roof rack have been limited to local transport of a bike and a Christmas tree...

#12 ·
I'll be picking up our Macan S, hot off the presses, at the Atlanta PEC in about three weeks. The build includes the roof rails and cross-bars, and presumably I'll be getting factory instructions with them.

So, if you can wait a bit, I'll be glad to scan in the instructions, and put them up as a PDF on my web site. (I've done this sort of thing many times, re motorcycle add-ons, for assorted bike forums.)

#18 ·
Agree it is hard to get the pegs into the small dark hard to see holes. It is doable but very time consisting.
Worst thing is the thickness of the aluminium racks so fat that the Thule skibox clavs can not securely grip around them.
Knowing this I would have bought the aftermarket Thule system.

#19 · (Edited)
After being backordered for almost a year, I received my OEM Crossbars. They appear to be similar to the original ones so I guess no visible updates.
Mistake #1: I cut the rubber insert so it inserted the full width of the front metal bar. Then realized the leftover rubber wouldn't run the full width of the rear bar. Tried to figure out why and realized that the end caps won't close down if the rubber runs all the way to the end. So, tip #1 - cut the rubber to the length of the metal bar until it reaches the edge of the closed cap cover and you'll have enough from the single strip to cover both crossbars.

Mistake #2: turns out my torque wrench didn't have the arrows and I tightened it too tight and one of the 'pins' got a bit flattened somehow.
Porsche was good enough to replace the crossbars and the new torque wrench had the arrows as in the previous thread pictures.

I too couldn't find instructions when I began installing mine but lo and behold this 'accessory' has instructions in the original manual. Though, it didn't mention cutting the rubber slightly shorter than the bar width.
Otherwise works fine and no problem with the clearance for the sunroof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.