Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Helping a friend shop for a mainstream SUV, and I'm surprised at the very long extended warranty terms some manufacturers will now commit to. Guess it speaks to the fact that new vehicles are more durable than they used to be. And many include towing, rental car coverage, and trip interruption, Some examples:

Subaru Outback- Dealers are discounting factory backed zero deductible bumper to bumper (with the usual wear item exclusions) plans for under $3000 for 10 years/100k miles or 8 years/120k miles.

Jeep Grand Cherokee- Several authorized dealers have advertised prices on the internet for many years. For example $3000 for 8 years/100k miles, or 8 years/120k miles for $1000 more. As above zero deducible with the usual exclusions. Notable is that Chrysler no longer offers "lifetime" warranties where they would repair your vehicle so long as the cost of the repair did not exceed the vehicles value, in which case they would hand you a check for the value and the warranty would be over.

Ford Edge- You can purchase plans right on the factory website, roughly $5000 for similar coverage to the above for 8 years/150k miles. Also on the factory website they sell 150k mile maintenance plans covering all factory specified maintenance and inspections for roughly $3000. If you bought both plans, you would not need to spend another dime for 8 years/150k miles except for things like fuel, tires, glass, and soft trim.

Sure, not cheap, but I had no idea manufacturers were even offering factory backed plans for up to 10 years and 150k miles. Of course each of them offer less expensive plans with shorter terms, less mileage, deductibles, and less comprehensive coverage.

My purpose of posting this is not to suggest that these warrantees make financial sense for anyone, just to point out what’s available. Very surprised that any manufacturer would attempt to underwrite a 150,000 mile policy. Guess they must see demand for it.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I can understand why FCA would drop this just saw a Dodge on a flatbed on the way to the store. Had Porsche offered something like this for a reasonable price I might have purchased it.

Wow dreaming again can’t believe I said reasonable price.

Cheers. 😮

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you look at it in context P does offer it at a reasonable ( ish) price considering the potential repair costs you could be faced with.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks for posting. I also had no idea comprehensive factory backed warrantees of this length are now apparently commonplace. Very interesting.

Apparently there is a totally new Subaru Outback for 2020 that’s about to hit the dealers, and my niece is interested. $3000 to extend the warranty to 10 years does not seem so crazy, especially if it’s transferable as Subaru’s website does indicate.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No disrespect meant but Subu's, Fords and Jeeps are not Porsches...
Bruce, I'm missing your point. I don't know all the details, but I believe PCNA is marketing some rather long extended warrantys themselves, although I think I read they are not factory backed, but merely Porsche branded.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm not sure you can lump Subarus, Fords and Jeeps into the same category

all cars differ,
the point of the post - as I see it- is extended warranties - ubiquitous these days

and Porsche seems to eschew them compared to other manufacturers

·
Registered
799 Posts
My point was made in another post regarding the top ten cars resold shorty after purchase. Number 2 was Porsche. The reason: sticker shock for maintenance and repairs. We all know the cost of simply changing out 6 plugs that are really easy to get to. $500!!! Now back to this post. Porsche KNOWS they'd lose their rears if they could match warranties like for Ford, Subu's, etc. They cannot afford it themselves.

I hope this answers your questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts