Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Hello fellow Macan owners, My S just hit 13k miles. I continue to be thrilled with my S and appreciative of all the comments you post to this site. My question is about extended warranty, buy or not? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Jay187

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I did. Although nothing has gone wrong with my Macan, for the size of the original investment, it is peace of mind. And it is a Porsche transferrable warranty, which also adds value when you sell privately (but not if you trade because the CPO takes its place).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I did because I put a lot of miles on and plan on keeping it for 100K. I got the Fidelity Platinum, if that is of interest to you PM me for the contact info of the guy I used. It was a good price.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I did. Although nothing has gone wrong with my Macan, for the size of the original investment, it is peace of mind. And it is a Porsche transferrable warranty, which also adds value when you sell privately (but not if you trade because the CPO takes its place).
I always keep my GOOD cars for many years and am definitely considering one. Is there a choice (underwriter, term, coverage, etc.) of extended warranties in Canada/Toronto? I would only consider one by Porsche, nothing by a 3rd party?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I always keep my GOOD cars for many years and am definitely considering one. Is there a choice (underwriter, term, coverage, etc.) of extended warranties in Canada/Toronto? I would only consider one by Porsche, nothing by a 3rd party?
I made an inquiry with my dealer not long ago. The Porsche one costs over 5K for 2 additional years, I forgot the mileage. As you can see, this is rather expensive insurance for over 2.5K a year. Longer term would add much more. If you drive a lot, maybe worthwhile to consider it, but for low mileage, such as my case, I would not consider pay over 5K for 2 more years of warranty.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Paid about $4k to extend the warranty to 5 years/100k miles. Since I'm already at 50k miles after only 27 months of ownership, and have had the exhaust system replaced and the B-pillars replaced free of charge, it'll be worth it to me...

Ultimately the decision boils down to how many miles you drive, how long you intend to own, how risk-averse you are to a big expense out-of-warranty, and how much your peace of mind is worth to you...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am not risk averse and usually do not go in for extended warranties on anything unless I am aware of some issue with the product. Back in the days of Sony Walkman/Disc man I learned after the first 2 died right after manufacturer warranty expiry in my two teenage sons' hands that in that situation the extra cost is well worth it. But other than that I tend not to go beyond what is offered standard except on certain cars. When I bought my 911 it was less than a year old with 4,000 miles. I negotiated for CPO ($3,000 value) instead of larger discount. Fortunately, I never had to use it, but $1,500 for each year of added security was well worth it.

I never purchase non-manufacturer's warranty. I figure with a manufacturer's warranty, the cost of service/repair to them is far less than to a third party. Additionally they have an incentive to keep you happily engaged as a customer, so manufacturer's cost is lower and profit may not be their only motivator. However, with a third party warranty, their parts costs are the same as mine PLUS, they are playing the actuarial game (percentages) to make a profit. I rather keep my money and take chances.

However, it seems by charging $2,500 - $4,000 a year for extended warranty, Porsche is now playing a different game with the Macan.

Reactions: jugdhoot

·
Registered
41 Posts
Paid about $4k to extend the warranty to 5 years/100k miles. Since I'm already at 50k miles after only 27 months of ownership, and have had the exhaust system replaced and the B-pillars replaced free of charge, it'll be worth it to me...

Ultimately the decision boils down to how many miles you drive, how long you intend to own, how risk-averse you are to a big expense out-of-warranty, and how much your peace of mind is worth to you...

Hey so you extended your warranty, but I noticed you also have the Cobb AP installed. It’s been pretty common knowledge that flashing the computer with the Cobb voids any and all warranties. I was just speaking to the Porsche tech about this and he laughed saying “yes we can tell even when you reinstall the original maps before taking it in”. Thoughts?

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Hey so you extended your warranty, but I noticed you also have the Cobb AP installed. It’s been pretty common knowledge that flashing the computer with the Cobb voids any and all warranties. I was just speaking to the Porsche tech about this and he laughed saying “yes we can tell even when you reinstall the original maps before taking it in”. Thoughts?
Thoughts:

If I have catastrophic transmission or engine failure, I guess that might become a factor. Not too worried about that.

Other items covered by warranty (electronics, items like I've already noted above) should not be an issue.

All in all, not worried. :)

Reactions: notmac1

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got a 7 year/100,000 miles extended warranty for $3200. After the warranty expires I'm selling the car.
HI Newbieonkanobi,

What part of the country or outside of US?

IMO - extended warranties is more of piece of mind (pay me now or pay me later...) If you are driving to obtain high mileage and not worried about a trade in value, it may be more worth it - as cars become more computerized, the cost of replacing a system could be one of the higher repair costs. I don't fear much of the mechanical components going haywire - but the computer system isn't bullet proof and sometimes no reason for why 1000 are great and 1 fails for no reason. Like others, would stay away from third parties. If you are considering the car as short term - the warranty could be a selling point for a higher resale to a private party. If turning into the dealer on trade-in, you should be able to get a refund for any unused portion (or full refund if it hasn't started yet). I learned this from my SA when I traded my other vehicle in for the Macan. They didn't want the extended warranty. Dealers typically want to sell a warranty (even if third party) to made additional profit on the sale.

Reactions: Luigi59

·
Registered
85 Posts
I actually ended up getting Fidelity Platinum Protection Plan, which is a third party but I've read in other forums that it was good. I'm also located in Washington DC.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I actually ended up getting Fidelity Platinum Protection Plan, which is a third party but I've read in other forums that it was good. I'm also located in Washington DC.

I wonder if the Fidelity plan is one Porsche sells. For VW and Audi, the Fidelity plans are the ‘official’ branded warranty. The main benefit is all Audi and VW dealers had to honor it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
At the dealership I wasn?t told right away who offers the extended warranty and had to ask if it was third party. According to the email it?s something about Elite and Elite plus. Reading the bottom left of the page the company says Automotive Warranty Services.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thoughts:

If I have catastrophic transmission or engine failure, I guess that might become a factor. Not too worried about that.

Other items covered by warranty (electronics, items like I've already noted above) should not be an issue.

Yeah that’s what I‘m worried about. Geabrox/transmission alone is $18k for the parts without labor. EEek.

Reactions: Louie Zoi

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thoughts:

I bought an M3 used with one year left on the original warranty. Bought a 3rd party extended warranty just before the original expired. Best post-acquisition money I've ever spent on a car. It covered my hybrid auto/semi-manual transmission and clutch (1st generation of such in a BMW), which came to over $9,000 to replace, multiple times the price of the extended warranty. I did have to threaten legal action to get them to pay up, but they did once I threatened.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got a 7 year/100,000 miles extended warranty for $3200. After the warranty expires I'm selling the car.
**** that’s cheap. At how many miles did you get the extended warranty and through which company?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the company listed above. I got the warranty when I had 8,000 miles on the car. It?s the same price for every Macan below 10,000 miles. I don?t know how much it is after since I didn?t ask. I forgot to mention I do have a $250 deductible but they give you other options as well.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I opted to switch insurances to geico and started their MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance). It costs me about $50 per 6 months and gets me to 7 years and 100k miles. You have to start with the car at relatively low miles; maybe no more than 10k? First owner and non transferable. No return either if you sell before warranty runs out. But at $100/yr I'm only out $400 max if I sell early. $700 max outlay. Don't remember other fine details at the moment.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts