Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from my ED and still thinking of the roads in Germany, Italy and France. The Autobahn is the KING of the roads of course. First time in my life driving well over 100MPH and never once looking in my rear view mirror.

I LOVE the way everyone does the same thing, slow drivers and trucks on the right. Never pass on the right. Use the left lane for high speed or passing only.

LOVED the traffic circles in the cities, beats sitting at lights all the time.

Switzerland, I guess all the same applies but way to serious about driving over the limit so takes the fun out of it for me!

I will receive at least 1 or 2 tickets in the mail, one I am positive I got nailed by a camera. Worth every penny to drive your wonderful roads.

US Drivers are the worst. Texting, paying no attention to who is behind them while driving too slow and generally just horrid drivers.

Was way fun in Europe and will do it again! It's the spirit of driving that the Euros got down!

·
Registered
665 Posts
+1 @SBU. The Europeans, namely the Germans sure know how to create a beautiful driving experience.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And can those Germans drive !!!
I loved driving over there a few months ago .
I may have to go back to :)
And the beer ........... :) :) UFAA

·
Registered
152 Posts
@souldriven is so jealous now ...

First, because you have a car
Second, because you got to drive said car on the Autobahn

J/k congrats

·
Registered
515 Posts
Completely agree. As bad of a reputation as Italians have for drving, stay out of the south and Rome and I found driving there to be very pleasurable. Although watch out for all sorts of tickets given by cameras. It is quite a scam in Italy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Back from my ED and still thinking of the roads in Germany, Italy and France. The Autobahn is the KING of the roads of course. ... I will receive at least 1 or 2 tickets in the mail, one I am positive I got nailed by a camera. Worth every penny to drive your wonderful roads.
Drove through seven countries in four weeks on our Macan Turbo ED - first ED was for our Cayman SBE. Flashed once in Germany on the Cayman ED. Flashed in Leipzig, Switzerland, and Stuttgart on the Macan ED. Have never received a ticket even though the German registrations and German titles on both trips pointed to our Oregon address. They may not have been enough over for them to fool with.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It can be many months before you receive anything from foreign police departments. But hopefully the paper trail is too messy for them to deal with it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Glad you had fun, nothing like the autobahn!

Switzerland, I guess all the same applies but way to serious about driving over the limit so takes the fun out of it for me!
Switzerland has been that way for a long time. I went to school there in the 80's and they had lots of cameras back then, can only imagine what it's like now.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Back from my ED and still thinking of the roads in Germany, Italy and France. The Autobahn is the KING of the roads of course. First time in my life driving well over 100MPH and never once looking in my rear view mirror.
Dude, unless you're going well above 150mph, either look in your mirror or get out of the left lane ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dude, unless you're going well above 150mph, either look in your mirror or get out of the left lane ;)
Me and a beemer in front of me were doing 135-150mph when I came back into Germany. Everyone else seemingly was standing still. Seemed a bit fast for an SUV if I had to stop quickly but had to do it!

I would have seen a Ferrari or Maserati coming from the rear because my eyes are always scanning BUT I did not have to focus one eye on the distance behind me looking for Johnny law like I do here in the states!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Agree...autobahns are the king of the world...
but remember its not easy to get a license in Europe..usually takes a few months of extensive training and many Euros ...before they let you get on those roads...but that contributes to the better driving skills of course...
vs in the U.S where $24 and a measly test for a 16 year old will do it..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts