Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Picture in post 6 shows not just scoring streaks but pits. That indicates corrosion, probably water or coolant in the engine, followed by sitting for a long time. Could be a flood salvage car that wasn't officially totalled so as to keep the title clean, or the engine was from a flood salvaged car.

Either way OP got royally screwed by this dealer. Pay an experienced, expert mechanic to make a detailed inspection and report, then take that to the dealer with a promise to lawyer up if he doesn't make this right.
I agree. Someone sold this car knowing it had an issue, and the OP was screwed over by a non-Porsche dealer.

I'm not much for hiring attorneys but there might be recourse here. Otherwise I would find a good engine from a wrecked car as someone else suggested. A new engine from the factory makes no sense here unless you plan to keep the car forever and see value in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am sincerely sorry about this situation. It is a valuable reminder of the importance of warranty protection for high performance German cars. Going all the way back to the 90s I can't ever remember thinking my warranty fees were a waste.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I never wrote this. Put everything back together. Add some diesel additive. Drive to the agency of choice. Trade it in. Say goodbye.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Picture in post 6 shows not just scoring streaks but pits. That indicates corrosion, probably water or coolant in the engine, followed by sitting for a long time. Could be a flood salvage car that wasn't officially totalled so as to keep the title clean, or the engine was from a flood salvaged car.

Either way OP got royally screwed by this dealer. Pay an experienced, expert mechanic to make a detailed inspection and report, then take that to the dealer with a promise to lawyer up if he doesn't make this right.
That's how a Macan cylinder wall looks when scored, they do not corrode, what you see is a bunch of crap that sits on top of the cylinder wall On any regular engine.

So, because someone declined to repair a defective engine before, they now decline to help you now?

That sounds like bull crap, talk to a lawyer, we are talking about losing the car so I'd recommend that you do anything in your power to get it covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's how a Macan cylinder wall looks when scored, they do not corrode, what you see is a bunch of crap that sits on top of the cylinder wall On any regular engine.

So, because someone declined to repair a defective engine before, they now decline to help you now?

That sounds like bull crap, talk to a lawyer, we are talking about losing the car so I'd recommend that you do anything in your power to get it covered.
So far no update reply from local porsche dealer yet
Dont know why they decline my repair request, if they did decline me tomorrow that means porsche dont care about used car owner.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
That is brutal. Maybe sell the car for parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That previous owner was a D**K....to say the least to knowingly trade that car in with the damage....AND if the dealership knew and covered it up with thicker oil...well then they are even bigger D**KS......sorry that this happened to you OP....

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've bought and sold dozens of cars over my life and I've always shown the buyer what known issues that car had. Except for that one time, a Ford Five Hundred AWD that was 500 miles out of warranty and developed an oil leak in the AC compressor. That sideways V6 was shoehorned into the engine bay so tight that the engine and transmission to be partially removed to service the belt-driven accessories. So I traded it in to a BMW dealer, who promptly sold it to a Ford dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
549 Posts
Just when I had decided I wouldn’t get an extended warranty when my factory coverage ends...

Very sorry for your experience, that’s a nightmare, made all the worse if it’s financed. I hope you are able to get some form of resolution.

i may have missed it, but how long ago did you purchase?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Long story short : ticking noise after oil change, two cylinder scored need a short/long block rebuilt.
Brought used from 3rd party dealership so no cpo.
Today just got call from porsche claim that last owner decline the repair before. So they no longer offer me the 40% discount for the new engine, which was 22K acceptable price for me.
For now my option is 36K for the new engine...or short block rebuilt 21K+ 9K labour maybe more.
I never know about the decline reapir on the first owner. The local porsche dealership tell me they will try explaine to the HQ about this to see the result.

:cry:36K I can get a used macan s with cpo... short block rebuilt is just like a loop hole,no guarantee cost less than a new engine.

Cross my finger for tommorow.
Long story short : ticking noise after oil change, two cylinder scored need a short/long block rebuilt.
Brought used from 3rd party dealership so no cpo.
Today just got call from porsche claim that last owner decline the repair before. So they no longer offer me the 40% discount for the new engine, which was 22K acceptable price for me.
For now my option is 36K for the new engine...or short block rebuilt 21K+ 9K labour maybe more.
I never know about the decline reapir on the first owner. The local porsche dealership tell me they will try explaine to the HQ about this to see the result.

:cry:36K I can get a used macan s with cpo... short block rebuilt is just like a loop hole,no guarantee cost less than a new engine.

The more I read the stories on this Forum, the more I want to trade my 2020 Macan S and go back to BMW... these low mileage horror stories are very
Concerning. Back in 2007 I have a BMW 7 series that developed an engine “tick” at 75k miles.. the car was 1 month from the CPO warranty expiring and BMW sent an engineer to look at the car and found piston scarring. They replaced the entire engine and gave me a 50k mi warranty on the engine replacement. I understand his car is out of CPO but since this a known issue with particular vehicle, they should have stepped up and honored the repair!

·
Registered
1 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Terrible news and I'm sorry for your situation. I am new to the Porsche family. I recently purchased a 2015 Macan S CPO. Yes, I paid a bit more at the dealership with CPO, but it has already been somewhat worthwhile. Apparently I purchased "bad fuel" (I've never heard of this happening, but apparently it does) and was able to get a tow, loaner vehicle, and when faced with a repair bill, I pressured the fuel company, who paid the bill. Curiously, the repairs bill was reduced from $1,146 US to $215. I'm not confident that the spark plugs shouldn't have been replaced and worry about that.

Before my purchase, I read on this forum the advice to not own a Porsche out of warranty. So, many thanks to all who posted that advice. I truly hope there is a decent resolution to your problem. A gut punch to say the least. Best wishes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd really like to know the history of the car. I don't care how complex, how German, or pricey these are, it makes no sense this would happen at such millage. Flood makes sense. Could it have been service neglected? They could run a rev report too.

That said though, I'd never buy a Macan, a Cayenne, Panamera without some warranty, or any Porsche with the M96 engine unless it came with proof of the IMS fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Find a low milage engine from a wreck. Have an independent shop do the swap.
This is why they have auto salvage yards which buy wrecked Macans. This is your only way out. No attorney will waist his time this low dollar claim (perhaps if you had gotten into a wreck because the engine blew on the train tracks you might have a chance).
This whole business will take time. Be patient. Find the engine and find the Indi.
Unfortunately you will probably have to pay the dealer to put the car back together to
get it out the dealership.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd really like to know the history of the car. I don't care how complex, how German, or pricey these are, it makes no sense this would happen at such millage. Flood makes sense. Could it have been service neglected?
I remember seeing a UTube video on this exact problem where the Porsche tech identified two scored cylinders on a Macan. When the Porsche dealer informed the customer of the cost involved, the customer declined the repair and picked up the vehicle. I suspect it was then traded in to an unsuspecting used car dealer?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Terrible news. I never did that to anybody, this level of dishonesty is staggering.

Before I sold my Boxster I paid 1.2k to fix a small oil leak (just some plastic/rubber parts, Porsche dealership pricing) instead of doing what they suggested, which was to simply wash it and flog it. But this is the kind of thing that simply disgusts me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
have you thought about finding a quality engine master to rebuild the engine? it is also a good time to consider upgrading the engine with bigger bore, race quality rings, bearings...etc. The cost of rebuilding the engine with uprated parts may be even lower than your quotes. Of course, the easier way is to source a good engine from a wreckage. But rebuilding the engine essentially gives you a brand new engine.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
This is scary reading material. I’m a first time Porsche buyer. Macan has had very high sales in the US. Engine or parts should be available. Jcbam has a good idea of a rebuild too. At this point, with being out of warranty, not much to lose. Keep us posted. Good luck. Dave T.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts