Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short : ticking noise after oil change, two cylinder scored need a short/long block rebuilt.
Brought used from 3rd party dealership so no cpo.
Today just got call from porsche claim that last owner decline the repair before. So they no longer offer me the 40% discount for the new engine, which was 22K acceptable price for me.
For now my option is 36K for the new engine...or short block rebuilt 21K+ 9K labour maybe more.
I never know about the decline reapir on the first owner. The local porsche dealership tell me they will try explaine to the HQ about this to see the result.

:cry:36K I can get a used macan s with cpo... short block rebuilt is just like a loop hole,no guarantee cost less than a new engine.

Cross my finger for tommorow.

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issue! If the cylinders were scored, it seems strange the ticking noise
didn't show up til after an oil change...

Year, model, mileage?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, you can do this by yourself if you know how to put spark back in.
This pic is from my local dealership
ok, i see, so you heard knocking and let the dealership diagnose the car? Just trying to figure out the best way to spot this before CPO runs out.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Holy Crap. I just had the Spousal Unit explain what the OP was saying. I'd seriously consider leaving that sucker on a busy street unlocked & with the keys in the ignition. There seems to be no good outcome here. I'm so sorry, OP. I can't imagine buying a car & then finding out that I've got to spend that much more on a major repair. I imagine the previous owner turned down the repair because they figured they'd just trade it in on something else.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
1) @gsgo9: Sorry to hear of your troubles.

2) I like the response from @Macanakey.

3) And some folks wonder why I recently spent c. USD 6,000 for the longest warranty that Safe-Guard offers, for our '18 S that has 49,000 miles, and which we plan to keep for some years to come.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S Sapphire Blue
30 Posts
How long since you purchased from dealer? If that dealer put in thicker oil to hide problem then you would need to prove it.

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
217 Posts
Im so sorry to hear this happened, the cost to fix this as you mentioned is almost another macan. Even when fixed, how much longer do you want to keep it knowing something else might happen and without warranty coverage youre SOL.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Really sorry for you! What about getting a salvaged motor from a wreck?

On a side note, I had the infamous timing chain oil leak at 20k. But it took me three goes to get bas..ards. to take the problem seriously. First time too much oil to see where it is coming (you could clearly see it was blowing back from the timing case) so they just vaguely it cleaned it up and then I had to it properly when I got it back. Second time, not enough oil, it had to be dripping! Finally, on the third I showed them pictures of drips (yeah right) on on the floor in my garage floor.. Well, what do you know they broke the bolt that holds the belt jockey wheel. Then to add insult to injury they cracked the block trying to get it out. Ka-ching! New short motor for free! But to be honest I had no idea how much it cost, well, until now. Moral of the story CPO is actually worth it!

But even after all that grief, they would not reset the oil reminder! It was a new farking motor! I'm a qualified mechanic and service myself so I just bought the Por V2 and reset it a couple of minutes.. But what a dick move, just I did not pay for their minor service...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that... but how it is possible!! The cas has only 66 000 miles (106 000km) ... it still "brand new"... what will you do? Replace the engine or find another one Macan S (with CPO) for the same price...

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Really sorry for you! What about getting a salvaged motor from a wreck?

On a side note, I had the infamous timing chain oil leak at 20k. But it took me three goes to get bas..ards. to take the problem seriously. First time too much oil to see where it is coming (you could clearly see it was blowing back from the timing case) so they just vaguely it cleaned it up and then I had to it properly when I got it back. Second time, not enough oil, it had to be dripping! Finally, on the third I showed them pictures of drips (yeah right) on on the floor in my garage floor.. Well, what do you know they broke the bolt that holds the belt jockey wheel. Then to add insult to injury they cracked the block trying to get it out. Ka-ching! New short motor for free! But to be honest I had no idea how much it cost, well, until now. Moral of the story CPO is actually worth it!

But even after all that grief, they would not reset the oil reminder! It was a new farking motor! I'm a qualified mechanic and service myself so I just bought the Por V2 and reset it a couple of minutes.. But what a dick move, just I did not pay for their minor service...
This proves Murphy is alive and well. Everything that could go wrong did. The rest of us are just one oil leak away from your experience. I am in the process of checking out extended warranty coverage. It is apparent that extended warranty's are just part of the Porsche ownership experience.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am sure somewhere in the sales contract it states that you bought the vehicle with no warranty.
How bad is the ticking noise?
Maybe the best solution is to just drive it?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Picture in post 6 shows not just scoring streaks but pits. That indicates corrosion, probably water or coolant in the engine, followed by sitting for a long time. Could be a flood salvage car that wasn't officially totalled so as to keep the title clean, or the engine was from a flood salvaged car.

Either way OP got royally screwed by this dealer. Pay an experienced, expert mechanic to make a detailed inspection and report, then take that to the dealer with a promise to lawyer up if he doesn't make this right.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts