Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the Macan today on the highway when I experienced the following faults:

"No all-wheel sys. Only rear-wh drive Adapted driving permitted"
"PSM failure Consult a workshop Adapted driving permitted"
"Engine control fault Consult a workshop Driving permitted"

Immediately after I got the faults, I noticed the vehicle's suspension was bumpy. I exited the highway, and noticed that the vehicle was shaking a lot during idle at stop lights.

I drove straight to the dealership, but their service department was closed. No loaners available. Thankfully, one of the sales reps offered to give me a ride home.

The vehicle has about 2500 miles and is about 3 months old. It's also the second time in a month to have some sort of issue. The first one being a coolant leak.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sorry to hear about this disruption in your life! It's so aggravating! Hopefully, it's just a software issue!

In my early days as a pioneer with Porsche in the USA, my 911's were always in the shop for something. My co-workers would love to rib me, "Hey, Jerry, did they let you visit your car this week?"

Hope all goes well and you're back on the highways enjoying your beautiful Macan soon!!

;)

Reactions: L_K and sebis

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
So sorry coffee grinds . Wishing you much better luck going forward .

Good juju your way .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,994 Posts
Now thinking about extended warranty after the factory warranty expires.

My statistics meter needle starts to point to the red zone. I just got my Macan back earlier this week after dealer fixed the Reduced Engine Power issue.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wow hopefully its a simple fix

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
That really stinks. Since one of the faults is coolant related, perhaps service did not deal properly with that issue the first time around. The law of averages says things will get better.

·
Premium Member
6,994 Posts
Haha the law of averages doesn't apply here. Otherwise, bad cars will become good and good cars will become bad.

Reactions: d13kim

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Haha the law of averages doesn't apply here. Otherwise, bad cars will become good and good cars will become bad.
Very interesting point, but do we apply it to the car or the owner? I will ponder that question over my next glass of wine (at home).

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think @reguy's point is that we can safely say that there are more Macan's with fewer problems, and fewer Macan's with more problems... if not, what are we all doing here??

:rolleyes:

Reactions: reguy

·
Premium Member
6,994 Posts
Law of averages only applies to known statistics.

But the statistcs of Macan is still unknown. It could turn out to be a dud, a winner or an average launch car.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Law of averages only applies to known statistics.

But the statistcs of Macan is still unknown. It could turn out to be a dud, a winner or an average launch car.
Thanks for the clarification. @reguy may have used the wrong terminology... but no need for pedanticalness... I think we all get his point, especially the OP... using a positive thought to show a little compassion!

;)

Reactions: Louie Zoi and reguy

·
Premium Member
6,994 Posts
I am not arguing about the point (that's my wish too :), just worried that Macan could be a dud if more and more serious issues pop up.

Reactions: Terminator

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sorry about the problems.Hope it gets resolved quickly, My problems has been those darn rock chips. I knew I should have had my front end protected.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am not arguing about the point, just worried that Macan could be a dud if more and more serious issues pop up.
Well, let's hope not! We all have a lot of time, money, and emotion invested in Porsche's Macan "project!"

You may have seen my earlier post:
Jerry said:
In my early days as a pioneer with Porsche in the USA, my 911's were always in the shop for something. My co-workers would love to rib me, "Hey, Jerry, did they let you visit your car this week?"
Those early 911's probably were not duds, and they did pave the way for a long line of successful Porsche's.

Hope yours is doing ok, @jzwu ... and I'm keeping a positive attitude and hoping the Macan turns out to be what so many enthusiasts and car critics have been saying about it!

Realistically, though, no car is perfect, Porsche included, but remember this post?
skierdude said:
Just saw this on USA Today. Macan, 911 and Boxster are on the list.

Which cars rank highest in J.D. Power quality study?

Kia, Hyundai rise, Japanese fall in J.D. Power quality study
Macan's review here is quite positive. Let's hope it continues to be true!! And let's hope @coffeegrinds problems are not serious, but just a little software bug!!

:D

Reactions: jzwu

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read a few posts on this forum about problems with their vehicle before I ordered mine. But I know the law of averages, so I figured my car would be good to go. But having two problems in the third month of ownership is a little worrisome. If I get a third problem within the next few months, then my annoyance level will rise high enough for me to start evaluating my options. I enjoy the driving experience of my car. However, after my first problem, in the back of mind I was always worried about another warning message popping up. Just my luck I suppose. I'm hoping my car isn't a dud, though.

Maybe it's because new cars have a lot of technology/electronics in them. A lot could go wrong. Who knows? If my problems weren't related to the actual operation of the car, I probably wouldn't be as worried. If it were an issue with the radio or rear hatch or wipers, I wouldn't be so concerned. But issues with me actually driving the car are a little unsettling.

·
Premium Member
6,994 Posts
I read a few posts on this forum about problems with their vehicle before I ordered mine. But I know the law of averages, so I figured my car would be good to go. But having two problems in the third month of ownership is a little worrisome. If I get a third problem within the next few months, then my annoyance level will rise high enough for me to start evaluating my options. I enjoy the driving experience of my car. However, after my first problem, in the back of mind I was always worried about another warning message popping up. Just my luck I suppose. I'm hoping my car isn't a dud, though.

Maybe it's because new cars have a lot of technology/electronics in them. A lot could go wrong. Who knows? If my problems weren't related to the actual operation of the car, I probably wouldn't be as worried. If it were an issue with the radio or rear hatch or wipers, I wouldn't be so concerned. But issues with me actually driving the car are a little unsettling.

Same feeling here after my first Reduced Engine Power issue that caused loss of turbo boost.

My dealer joked with me that it could get expensive if I didn't have warranty since they had to tear down the intake. But I was not as light-hearted. :(

Now the thought of owning it out of warranty makes me shudder as I realize that any "minor" issue (such as the loose hose clamp resulting in a vacuum leak and the turbo boost loss) could rack up thousands of dollars before it gets fixed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same feeling here after my first Reduced Engine Power issue that caused loss of turbo boost.

My dealer joked with me that it could get expensive if I didn't have warranty since they had to tear down the intake. But I was not as light-hearted. :(

Now the thought of owning it out of warranty makes me shudder as I realize that any "minor" issue could rack up thousands of dollars before it gets fixed.
I'm nowhere near the end of my warranty, and I've never purchased an extended warranty in my life. But now I'm leaning heavily toward purchasing an extended warranty. I don't think the extended warranty is through Porsche, but I'll take what I can get.

·
Premium Member
6,994 Posts
The dealer that serviced my Macan offers 3rd party extended warranty, but it seems to only apply to new cars. Need to explore it.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts