Porsche Macan Forum banner

If the Macan were available only as EV, would you buy it?

• That's my next car!

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I'm very interested. I think electric cars are the future

Votes: 38 65.5%
  • I'm on the fence. I want to see what Porsche comes up with first.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure electric cars are for me, but I'm watching.

• Not interested. I'll drive a gas car as long as I can.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This poll says 38% would buy ICE Macan instead of any electrified Macan option, if ICE were available. However, this article says Porsche will be all electric by 2030. It looks like they are talking pure EV only, not hybrids. Article dated 4/9/18. Given this information, if they only sold EV Macans, would you buy one? In answering, consider the country you live in. For example, while the European Union might be pushing for all EV, that is not true in the US, at least today. So the choices might be very large.

If the Macan were available only as EV, would you buy it?

Yes
No

· Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Not me. I'm uncomfortable having a vehicle that's electric only, although I'd be open to a hybrid. I guess that I'm just paranoid about being stranded without being able to recharge. Call me an old fogey on that.

· Registered
225 Posts
Just say no!

@grim I hope you set the poll up so that a Yes vote gets you banned automatically? >:D
Concur. My thought exactly. Just say no!

P.S. Hot off the presses: Volkswagen to replace CEO Matthias Mueller with Herbert Diess, the head of the namesake brand https://bloom.bg/2HmXVcJ #tictocnews (Source: Bloomberg)

Company recently said all models in Volkswagen line will have an EV version. Hopefully this excludes Porsche, but we're already seeing P hybrids, aren't we? Yikes.:eek:

· Premium Member
383 Posts
Maybe.

Interested what kind of magic Porsche might wrought. Would have to drive it. Not interested in a Porsche EV for the green factor or fuel economy. I'd by a Prius or some other lifeless, soul sucking vehicle if those were my priorities.

If it brings performance, retains Porsche handling, and minimizes range anxiety I could be swayed. I don't know how you do that, especially with all the battery weight, but Porsche engineering amazes me every time I go for a drive.

Time will tell.

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Battery powered EV is a technological dead end and can only serve as a short term niche alternative, mostly for urban areas. It is very unfortunate that German auto makers are forced by short sighted political decisions to play the EV game all in. Hence continuing research on real alternatives to burning oil is currently neglected and underfunded. That's why I really hope mainstream EV dies its inevitable death sooner rather then later.

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,298 Posts
Just playing Mr Potato head - Porsche would divorce VW and get bought out by Tesla fusing Mission E with Tesla for an electric powerhouse and create corporate base out of Germany to continue producing ICE cars with less obstacles. Have two divisions -- Electric and ICE. Give choices to consumers !!

It ain't going to happen .

· Registered
250 Posts
12 years from now. 2030. My age will be...ah, I'd still be years away from retirement! And in the market for a 911 R!

Yes, I will test drive it. No, I will not buy one for myself. If it's good, I might get one for my wife. She likes the concept of EVs.

· Premium Member
595 Posts
For me, most likely no. Ev acceleration/performance is appealing especially with porsche driving dynamics, but I would have range anxiety (I never let my gas tank drop below 1/4) and I like to hear my car when I drive it (the stereo in my 993 just fills a hole in the dash). For my wife, maybe as she wants a “green” option for her next car. Since there was not a “maybe” option, I said yes (ducking as daggers are thrown at me)

· Registered
6,842 Posts
Isn't ICE the people who are deporting illegal aliens?

No, No, a thousand times no.

I love engines. Internal combustion engines.

All stems from my childhood (which continues and will continue until the day I flap off my mortal coil) when I built the Revell Visible V8 model and hadn't a clue and so glued the crankshaft only to render it nonworking.

I'm making amends ever since.

· Registered
161 Posts
Well, I guess it depends on my options. Will there be similar class vehicles with ICEs available? If so, I'd probably lean towards those. However, if Porsche, BMW, etc are all taking this route, I would not sacrifice performance and buy a Mazda just to have a car with an ICE.

So, I guess my answer is a reluctant "yes", as it is not out-of-the-question for me.

· Registered
2,326 Posts
How come no one is addressing the possible dangers associated with all electric or even some hybrid vehicles.The emf field can't be healthy. Don't live right next to power lines imo.A colleague of mine bought a Hybrid ( not specifying which one),in short she developed huge migraines each time she drove it. I told her not to seat her kids in it right on top of the battery pack which I read is poorly shielded. She traded in that car for an ice car ( internal combustion engine), gas used as fuel and her headaches disappeared. Just my opinion not in any way shape or form that of the Macan Forum here.

Reactions: trusted
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.