Porsche Macan Forum banner

461 - 480 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Macan has been sitting in the garage, in NY, for 3 months. I’m heading back in July. Suspect it will be fine.
You know, that will be an excellent test, the situation with your car when you get back. I don't know if you've been following this, but there's a long thread on keeping Macans charged:

Whatever the outcome -- but especially if your car fires right up (which would be my guess) -- a report on what happens will be a good addition to that thread. (You don't have it on a smart-charger, right?)

I posted in there -- Charging the Macan -- but my report (problem-free) was only about abandoning the car in the winter, outside, for a week and a half.

Looking forward to lunch in July.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I suspect zero problems.

The Macan is nestled up next to it‘s 60 year old stablemate and my bet is that both will pop off promptly.

Airport re-opens 6/12 ... I’ll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
You know, that will be an excellent test, the situation with your car when you get back.
It won't mean anything. For every anecdotal story pro, there will be an anecdotal story con, such as this. Two stories of dead batteries stored for a short time. You need a much bigger sample size.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Could not agree more nor care less. It’s a car battery.

i, too, am entertained by endless threads citing anecdotal “one off” tales and ascribing “trends” to them with a population sample size of 1.

But ..... I’ll be eager to see if it starts.
?

·
Super Moderator
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
Could not agree more nor care less. It’s a car battery.

i, too, am entertained by endless threads citing anecdotal “one off” tales and ascribing “trends” to them with a population sample size of 1.

But ..... I’ll be eager to see if it starts.
?
Except not many here are happy about the $800 to replace it ;)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It won't mean anything. For every anecdotal story pro, there will be an anecdotal story con, such as this. Two stories of dead batteries stored for a short time. You need a much bigger sample size.

So, are you advocating that no one should report on his or her non-started or general longevity battery experiences, given the lack of some large-scale, standardized, test? That I should not have suggested that @CourtneyNYC report on what happens when he attempts to start his deserted Macan after several months?

Or are you simply saying that folks should continue to post anecdotal experiences, but none of them will mean anything? And if that's the case, why should they bother reporting anything at all?

·
Super Moderator
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Or are you simply saying that folks should continue to post anecdotal experiences, but none of them will mean anything? And if that's the case, why should they bother reporting anything at all?
What I'm saying is that its fairly well known, over the last 15 years at least, that Porsche batteries die quickly. Go to any pcar forum and start reading. Look it up. Already here we have hundred of posts concerned about the $800 cost for a new battery installed. This is nothing new. I've seen it for more than a decade. New buyers to the marque get sticker shock. They don't understand why their 2002 Toyota or Lexus battery was fine sitting for a month but their fancy "luxury" Porsche dies in two weeks. Couple that with the easily found "advise" all over the Internet about modern cars. Just like that video above that advises people to keep modern cars on smart chargers. A few examples

"Many cars can sit for two weeks and still start back up on the first turn of the key. Others will die in under a week."

So all we can do is provide experience, point to general advice, etc. These are trends. Anecdotal stories mean nothing. I can probably find a story where someone had the same battery for 7 years, never drove the car, and it started fine, and another with a dead battery in a year. Both of those are on the extremes of the normal curve, some number of standard deviations from the middle.

What matters is the great "middle", what you should expect to find. You can learn from others, or you can ignore it. Its your money. I learned the hard way. I was in shock the first time a battery died in a water cooled Porsche. They didn't die in my other cars. And then I learned. Sometimes we all have to learn the hard way. And then you get the sticker shock of getting a new battery.

You get to choose. We can only try to help. :) In the end, its up to you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
having spent 17 years doing production test riding of sport bikes. . . . Nothing surprises me. If it starts, it starts if it doesn’t, it doesn’t and Porsche will happily replace it.

we’ll find out in June.

hahahaha. . . . . Again, it’s a frickin’ car battery in an suv.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
having spent 17 years doing production test riding of sport bikes. . . . Nothing surprises me. If it starts, it starts if it doesn’t, it doesn’t and Porsche will happily replace it.

we’ll find out in June.

hahahaha. . . . . Again, it’s a frickin’ car battery in an suv.
So you think Porsche will "happily" replace batteries @ N/C?
Or do you mean they will happily take the $800 & do the work?

I'd feel like a sucker if I pi$$ed away $800 when I could have taken simple steps to prevent the premature demise of my battery.

·
Super Moderator
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
You won't see this again. Last time I checked May contracts on oil were -$56.00. That's right, they will pay you to take the oil. There is no place to store it. Thats good in that there is no need to pump US oil but bad in that its doomsday for fracking companies. But certainly new ones will be created once things are "normal". Still this is devastating.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Yep this was all over the news & even brought up by a reporter during the daily press conference.

But don't rush out to buy up barrels of oil to resell next year, there are other costs even if you had proper storage
;)

Still will need your wallet to buy gas as well

"Yes, oil prices are negative. No, you won’t get paid to fill up your tank"

I use Gas Buddy to choose which convenient gas station (always Top Tier) to use.

I just paid $2.69 a couple days ago for premium.
Last time it was that cheap here was summer 2009. Early 2009 it was < $2.00!

Too bad no road trips.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
frak-innay...

..when are the pump prices ever going to decrease? They've been the same here for more than 2 weeks.
I just an article in my local paper this morning, with a comment from a local chain, that pointed out summer switchover is about to take place at (at least some) refineries. The spokesperson stated that that will actually result in an increase in pump prices, as it's more expensive to produce summer blends than winter ones.

·
Super Moderator
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #478
Good explanation if the summer blend price increase here.

However, two things could stop it

No demand
EPA emergency

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
Notice how Porsche released March numbers by combining it as "Jan-March" Porsche Reports First Quarter U.S. Retail Deliveries

The real plummet came in March and the numbers would be dismal for just that month . I cant imagine April. The video you posted is interesting but focuses on the auto industry as a whole . Porsche is a premium vehicle which I feel falls into a different category than something like GM or Honda .

The interesting thing which I observed with Porsche is that during a, crisis it may attract higher end car buyers who may have bought Ferrari, Aston, Bentley, etc, Also the used market strengthens and it was during the financial crisis that Porsche really built up the CPO program . At first individual owners freaked out and pitched their cars . It was like a fire sale of bargains . Some guys bought 90K cars which were 3 months old in the 50's , drove it a year and sold it for a profit !!! The reason they made a profit is because Porsche took that long to build the CPO program to the level it has become.

The difference with now is that no one really feels like driving or they cant due to shelter in place suggestions . Unlike 08 no one really knows when this will end and what it will become . Cars are not the same priority even to many enthusiasts . If I had no car I might not even look at a 911 at this time . I had planned to buy a 992 and a few months ago even considered a Gt3. I saw my Gt3 evaporate on paper and I worry more about whether at some point we might face a food shortage or some other new obstacle hurdle . We are not out of this virus and with that in mind it looks like my cars are going to end up with higher miles and longer stay periods with me.

·
Super Moderator
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #480
The used car market is crashing too

"...many dealers are approaching trade-ins with caution, given collapsing retail demand and dropping wholesale prices. "I went through this in 2008, and 2001, but it's way worse now," ... back then there was still some liquidity. You could still get some buyers for cars or get some bidders for cars at the wholesale auction ... For the week ended April 12, wholesale auction volume totaled just 19,000, an 83 percent drop from the pre-virus weekly average,"

20-percent decline at Porsche.

461 - 480 of 497 Posts