Porsche Macan Forum banner

441 - 460 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
We've seen that this virus can go 0-60 faster than your car . The numbers in itself are not as important as how to interpret them . What's shocking is that antibodies are seen in some who recover and not in others . WHO officials say it's unclear whether recovered coronavirus patients are immune to second infection

This may be even harder to fix than hoped for.
Yes, I've been reading about that. Hard to believe someone can recover from any virus yet have no antibodies to that same virus. More info will be coming out, hopefully soon. I would trust the CDC way more than The W.H.O.

Also so many issues re the statistics we hear about daily. I wonder about the % false + & false - on any of the variety of types of tests currently being done.

When a death is recorded, did the patient die from COVIC-19 or die with COVID-19.
Not always easy to determine.

Then you have the issue of the reports/stats from; China, Russia, Iran, N, Korea.
I tend to believe the reports from UK, Italy & other western countries.

What a mess.

I sure hope there are some fairly safe treatments soon. Many undergoing research & testing right now.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
Hard to believe someone can recover from any virus yet have no antibodies to that same virus.

Well, perhaps not. Think of the so-called common cold, another member of the corona family of viruses.
The reason we are able to repeatedly "catch a cold" is because the virus is constantly mutating, so any
antibodies developed in response to your last cold will not likely be effective against your next exposure.

The same possibility exists - though it's not yet determined - for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Compounding
the issue is the fact that ~10% of the people with the virus have no symptoms, and can unknowingly
spread it.

If there is any good news, it is another fact that 80% of the people who contract the virus have mild
symptoms. That has become buried in the constant media barrage of death reports.

The vimeo video posted recently by a physician at a NYC hospital noted the same - the overwhelming majority
of people who contract the virus have mild symptoms. IIRC, he said 10% of those infected come to the hospital
and of that 10% only 10% (or 1% of the infected) end up on ventilators. Of that 1% group, some percentage
(I do not recall if he specified) do not survive.

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
About TP. Some people are getting upset. We are now into the second phase of this as the situation deteriorates. The US can certainly make as much toilet paper as required. Its not like we are going to run out of trees or forgot how to make it. From what I understand, the problem is that half the TP is meant for commercial use and half for private use. So that terrible TP you get in public restrooms, commercial buildings, etc is thin, harsh, comes in huge rolls, and made with different machines. To convert to private use means changing the machines. That's not something you do temporarily. So depending upon how long this last, there might be more shortages? Got to get this people back to work so they use the crappy TP. ?

Then there is food that went to restaurants. Again, half the food was consumed out the home. Now its consumed inside the home. You don't really want to buy 100 lb bags of flour, right? Restaurant supply houses might not sell to private individuals anyway. So all that production has to be converted to private consumption. More machine changes, a problem. Then you got suppliers of dairy. They can't sell to the supply companies so what happens? They dump the milk.

Then there is the medical supply problem. Those cheap blue masks you see come from China. Good luck with that. With mask laws now in effect, you can't go into a store without one. So people are making their own at home, or just wrapping a scarf or bandanna on their face. Some companies are now making cloth masks and those cheap blue disposable one but that all takes time. Meanwhile, US companies that make these supplies, like for dentists, don't sell to the public. Besides, you really want a box of 1,000 cheap blue masks?

These supply problems aren't going to go away. Its not like the US can't product the products. They can easily do so. But it takes time to ramp up production. Then what happens if the country opens back up for business? They convert all their machines back to making 100 lb bags of flour? What a waste of money. Right now, forgetting about N95 masks, try finding nitrile gloves. These common and dirt cheap. Today, they are gold. And how about common respirators, the permanent you see people use that work with sawdust, spray paint, insect poison, landscape, etc. They are reasonably cheap. Can't get one anywhere. This isn't a matter of changeover of production machine but built in backlog. Then companies that routinely sell them won't sell to new customers. For example "reorders only".

Who is going to pay for all this, US taxpayers in deeper debt. Or will their be a reckoning, a bill due?

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
$7T (that's TRILLION) bailout.

Has anyone bothered to ask where the money is going to come from to pay for this? In a normal environment
payroll and other (?) taxes would be doing so. Well, with companies closed or almost closed and MILLIONS of
people out of work - and using up some of the tax dollars as unemployment benefits (paid by employers, not employees)
what "spring" is creating all of this $7T dollars?

Corporate taxes were slashed a couple of years ago as were the rates paid by the wealthiest. For the 99%ers, their
small tax cut will expire in 5 years - the others were legislated to be permanent!

Or, is the US Treasury simply printing money? What happens to the value of the dollar if we increase the dollars in
circulation by $7T?

I recall a photo from Germany taken some time after WWI with a person pushing a wheelbarrow full of Marks on
their way to the store.

:oops:

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #447

Has anyone bothered to ask where the money is going to come from to pay for this? In a normal environment
payroll and other (?) taxes would be doing so. Well, with companies closed or almost closed and MILLIONS of
people out of work - and using up some of the tax dollars as unemployment benefits (paid by employers, not employees)

Corporate taxes were slashed a couple of years ago as were the rates paid by the wealthiest. For the 99%ers, their
small tax cut will expire in 5 years - the others were legislated to be permanent!

Or, is the US Treasury simply printing money? What happens to the value of the dollar if we increase the dollars in
circulation by $7T?

I recall a photo from Germany taken some time after WWI with a person pushing a wheelbarrow full of Marks on
their way to the store.

Reparations ;)

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Well, perhaps not. Think of the so-called common cold, another member of the corona family of viruses.
The reason we are able to repeatedly "catch a cold" is because the virus is constantly mutating, so any
antibodies developed in response to your last cold will not likely be effective against your next exposure.

The same possibility exists - though it's not yet determined - for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. ...
I read, early on, that the mutations in this RNA virus are not significant & will not interfere with the efficacy of vaccines...unlike the common cold virus, where the mutations ARE significant & can often make any vaccines non effective.

See:

·
Registered
706 Posts

circulation by $7T?

their way to the store.

Umm yes it's called QE because it sounds nice but actually it's straight out money printing/inflation. There is only one way to protect yourself when government does this. It's the reason why the only podcast I subscribe to is the "Peter Schiff" podcast. Even all the way down here in Australia his advice is like gold, literally.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Coronavirus Vaccine Prospects

Detailed article but, much information re what it takes to develop a vaccine.

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #454

"A Georgia restaurant owner sold her car in order to keep paying her employees amid the coronavirus shutdown that closed her doors, according to a local report.

Charity Salyers, who owns Vittles Restaurant in Smyrna, sold the Ford Mustang she’d bought just a few months ago for enough cash to cover her bills and pay her employees for about a month, ... "It was a Mustang GT 5.0, a very nice candy apple red

"When she came back after selling her car I think I cried and she didn't. She said 'Stacy I had to, I have to make sure everybody is good'," said Wingard."

Feel good story. Sold her car to pay employees. This is part of what makes America great. Take care of those who depend upon you. ? A red mustang too!

·
Registered
8,562 Posts

"A Georgia restaurant owner sold her car in order to keep paying her employees amid the coronavirus shutdown that closed her doors, according to a local report.

Charity Salyers, who owns Vittles Restaurant in Smyrna, sold the Ford Mustang she’d bought just a few months ago for enough cash to cover her bills and pay her employees for about a month, ... "It was a Mustang GT 5.0, a very nice candy apple red

"When she came back after selling her car I think I cried and she didn't. She said 'Stacy I had to, I have to make sure everybody is good'," said Wingard."

Feel good story. Sold her car to pay employees. This is part of what makes America great. Take care of those who depend upon you. ? A red mustang too!
LOL @grim you are quite naive .

I have seen a lot of people sell their car when the $h%t hits the fan economically . I have been in Porsche land a long time . This is very common .

So I'll open a touch of cynicism and pose this question to ponder .. did she sell the car because she really doesn't want to lose the business or her trusted employees so that she can buy her next car ? Or because that car payment was yet another sinking long in her boat?

I don't mean to be thin on feel good stories in the midst of crisis but frankly I am not buying too much these days of anything .

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
LOL @grim you are quite naive .

I have seen a lot of people sell their car when the $h%t hits the fan economically . I have been in Porsche land a long time . This is very common .

So I'll open a touch of cynicism and pose this question to ponder .. did she sell the car because she really doesn't want to lose the business or her trusted employees so that she can buy her next car ? Or because that car payment was yet another sinking long in her boat?

I don't mean to be thin on feel good stories in the midst of crisis but frankly I am not buying too much these days of anything .

I’ll go with the feel good story. The glass is half full. Have some faith in the goodness of people. Its $35K mustang, not a $135K 911.

Its OK that she wanted to help others. Cynicism isn’t always the answer and her motive could be pure.

Salyers even keeps masks and rolls of toilet paper on hand in case anyone driving through needs some
I’m going to cut her some slack and think she has a good heart.

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
This guy is prolific in putting out videos. He does not seem to like Porsches either. His take on how to take care of your care in lockdown. I think he got it mostly right but to be more specific about Porsches

He got two things right.

Especially if you got summer tires, they WILL flat spot. You do want to at least turn the car around in your driveway. I know exactly what he means by flatspotting. Got some summer high performance tires on there? IMO, you should move the car

Second, put it on a smartcharger and leave it when possible.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

I’ll go with the feel good story. The glass is half full. Have some faith in the goodness of people. Its $35K mustang, not a $135K 911.

Its OK that she wanted to help others. Cynicism isn’t always the answer and her motive could be pure.

I’m going to cut her some slack and think she has a good heart.
I also like the feel good story and I don't think I'm naive about it. By helping her emplyees, she also helps her business stays open. This is not the time for cynicism.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Macan has been sitting in the garage, in NY, for 3 months. I’m heading back in July. Suspect it will be fine.

I’ll go with the “feel good” option. I hope it works out for her and her employees.

441 - 460 of 497 Posts