Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
No decision yet. I've been sidetracked with other things. I'll get back to researching in a few weeks. Lots of good ideas here.

I'm torn between the pellet stove thing and a large Weber charcoal. "They" say the pellets don't get hot enough to sear a steak, not designed for that. Decisions, Decisions :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Big Green Egg is one of those things that, before I got one, I used to say "Why are these so expensive?" and now I know why, and won't be without one again. In the past week or so, I've done short ribs slow smoked at 225*, flank steak at 700*, and pork loin somewhere in between. I have a couple of different lump charcoals (different woods) as well as probably a dozen or so different woods for smoking. Definitely worth the cost. A friend of a friend even brought his Egg to Thunderhill for a track day, so the friend could make his world famous tri-tip. One of the best days ever - fast cars, great food, and I made some new friends.

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
OK, educate me on those remote probes, the ones you stick in the BBQ and sit back, toss down a beer or two, watch the game, while monitoring the temp of the meat remotely.

Which ones are best? Will they last? Are they junk or a gimmick?

·
Registered
399 Posts
First rule on BBQ-ing. Keep an eye on your grill. Too many beers? Just one more minute of the game and I'll go out and check my meat.
1-2oo dollars worth of steaks on the grill. I never leave the grill. Kids or guest can deliver me another beer. Don't leave your post.
Wife did all the work really. Shopped, dressed and prepared the meat, on a plate and ready for me to take it outside and place on the grill. My job? Don't F-it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK, educate me on those remote probes, the ones you stick in the BBQ and sit back, toss down a beer or two, watch the game, while monitoring the temp of the meat remotely.

Which ones are best? Will they last? Are they junk or a gimmick?
A couple of people I know on another forum use this - [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Bluetooth-Meat-Thermometer-iPhone/dp/B077N74X59/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=MIGVELA&qid=1561042816&s=gateway&sr=8-2[/ame]

They have used it for a while and is as advertised.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Wow!!! How did I miss this thread? So now it is my turn to ask my friends here to educate me on PIZZA OVEN!!!!! Being half Italian I finally decided to remodel my backyard and install a proper pizza oven to entertain family and friends with an "authentic Neapolitan pizza. I have done some research and I was between these 3 options:
1) https://www.fontanaforniusa.com/collections/woodfired-pizza-ovens/products/the-margherita-pizza-oven?variant=7354668646443
2) https://www.alfaforni.com/us/product/5-minuti-wood-fired-oven/
3) https://morsoe.com/us/product/outdoor/outdoor-fireplaces/garden_set_us

I think I have narrowed down my decision between #1 and #2 as both are Italian brands and since the main focus is to have pizzas I think I should stick with an Italian one. Any thoughts or experiences with any of these options? Tks!!!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I missed it too... it is an old thread.

I have gone back to charcoal.... a propane for rainy nights if needed.

WEBER makes a charcoal grill that starts the charcoal w/ propane... or use a chimney
Called The Performer - I think.

Buy chunk charcoal as much as possible ... NEVER the NoMatch stuff... full of chemicals

Here in the DR I have a Haitian old man come by and make me my charcoal.... all natural

I also use a larger grill... all charcoal.... A Lowe's exclusive... part grill/part smoker
I tightened the seal with oven door sealing strips... a better smoker.
Here it is... hard to beat the price & performance
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-32-9-in-Black-Powder-Coat-Charcoal-Grill/1000169637
The coal bed has adjustable height... no flareups... fast or slow cook.... easy and fun

I use 1 or 2 chimneys to fire it up...
Insert a tube (like an empty bathroom tissue core) in the center to aid the fire/air ignition
Starts like a dream and fast

WEBER kettles are fine but not big.... 2-4 people ok.... 6 ? not so good (IMO)

Go to Loews & Home Depot... scout them out ....
The Egg... lost me at $900

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I think I have narrowed down my decision between #1 and #2 as both are Italian brands and since the main focus is to have pizzas I think I should stick with an Italian one. Any thoughts or experiences with any of these options? Tks!!!!
Well, I have researched this too. I was making NEAPOLITAN pizza crusts, tried a half dozen recipes with 00 flour like antimo caputo. But the bottom line is you need a 900 degree oven and no oven for the house will do that. But, with a good stone, you can make a pizza better than the chain pizza places. I started researching replacing the oven in the kitchen and might do that again. They sell ovens that inject water. I was also looking at Forno Bravo https://www.fornobravo.com/residential-pizza-ovens/modular-oven-kits/

None of these kits are cheap https://www.fornobravo.com/store/

And then gave up. It sounds great but I would wonder exactly how often are you going to make pizza? Once the honeymoon period wears off, then what? Its not like a grille where you can cook about anything on it, any kind of meat, etc. Its pizza. So after going through all that, I would just say be sure you really want to take up patio space for it against how often you will use it AFTER the honeymoon period. I think you got to be REALLY dedicated to making pizza for that investment in money and space.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
@grim: Thank you for your insights. Yes, I agree with your thoughts about the honeymoon period and how many times we are going to use it BUT (and this is a huge BUT) the pizza oven is a dream my wife has for a long time. Thus, if I ever want to trade my Macan for a new one I will need that leverage. >:D Joking apart I am OK is spending $2k-$3k on a pizza oven that is portable (most come in their own designed carts) and I can have it out in the outdoor patio to entertain people when we are up to a pizza. A friend of mine has one and it is a big hit with all friends.

The Forno Bravo that you mentioned has a very similar model to the Italian ones I have been looking for and they call Medio28 Portable Wood Fired Pizza Oven. Same price range, size, style. Their tile ovens look really great and similar to the ones you find in the mos popular pizza places in Naples, Italy which I visited many times but I think they fit better in a backyard with a proper kitchen set.

Tks again and I will keep you posted what I decide.

Well, I have researched this too. I was making NEAPOLITAN pizza crusts, tried a half dozen recipes with 00 flour like antimo caputo. But the bottom line is you need a 900 degree oven and no oven for the house will do that. But, with a good stone, you can make a pizza better than the chain pizza places. I started researching replacing the oven in the kitchen and might do that again. They sell ovens that inject water. I was also looking at Forno Bravo https://www.fornobravo.com/residential-pizza-ovens/modular-oven-kits/

None of these kits are cheap https://www.fornobravo.com/store/

And then gave up. It sounds great but I would wonder exactly how often are you going to make pizza? Once the honeymoon period wears off, then what? Its not like a grille where you can cook about anything on it, any kind of meat, etc. Its pizza. So after going through all that, I would just say be sure you really want to take up patio space for it against how often you will use it AFTER the honeymoon period. I think you got to be REALLY dedicated to making pizza for that investment in money and space.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
A couple of people I know on another forum use this - https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Bluetooth-Meat-Thermometer-iPhone/dp/B077N74X59/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=MIGVELA&qid=1561042816&s=gateway&sr=8-2 They have used it for a while and is as advertised.
Thank you. Its BT, range maybe 15. I should have said radio or WIFI. BT drops out way to easy and not far enough away, not through walls, etc.

I first saw Gordon Ramsay yelling at his "students" teaching that method when he first went on TV some years ago. I thought cool :) Then he had this video. I made some of his recipes. This one is pretty good. He teaches the same thing with the palm of the hand.

But then I recently read this. https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/best-thermometers/how-thermometers-work and what he said also makes sense. Basically, people are different, some fat, some skinny, some young, some old, does sirloin feel the same as filet, etc. etc. etc.

But what about Gordon Ramsay or some other chef? They can do it and probably nail it. Well, he has a point. Those TV chefs are professional having done it thousands and thousands of times. Us regular folks? Nope. Don't know about anyone else but its not 1960. I don't have steak and potatoes every night or even meat every day. So my ability to do that and those guys? Probably not even close. They know what they are doing. I don't. ;) OTOH. I can tell when the car "feels" different. When it has too much weight in it. When the pressures are off a little. When something just isn't right. When its oversteering too much, etc. Can they? Its the same idea.

Hence, a thermometer, a lazy man's thermometer ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@grim: Thank you for your insights. Yes, I agree with your thoughts about the honeymoon period and how many times we are going to use it BUT (and this is a huge BUT) the pizza oven is a dream my wife has for a long time. Thus, if I ever want to trade my Macan for a new one I will need that leverage. >:D Joking apart I am OK is spending $2k-$3k on a pizza oven that is portable (most come in their own designed carts) and I can have it out in the outdoor patio to entertain people when we are up to a pizza. A friend of mine has one and it is a big hit with all friends.

The Forno Bravo that you mentioned has a very similar model to the Italian ones I have been looking for and they call Medio28 Portable Wood Fired Pizza Oven. Same price range, size, style. Their tile ovens look really great and similar to the ones you find in the mos popular pizza places in Naples, Italy which I visited many times but I think they fit better in a backyard with a proper kitchen set.

Tks again and I will keep you posted what I decide.
Thats all cool. If I remember right I was the one all ready to buy one. It was my wife who asked "And how often will you use this?" Different story? I agree "Happy wife... etc" Thinking back, I'm trying to remember the last time I made some pizza dough and its been at least 3 or 4 years. She was right :crying:

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Did Gordon Ramsay just use a bread knife to cut his steak? :eek: BTW, I've been to his steak restaurant Maze Grill in Mayfair, London and it is very good.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My best suggestion for BBQ-ing is even an consistent heat. An electronic gauge is neat.
But a flair up, from a dirty BBQ can ruin the fun quickly. We all keep our cars OCD clean.
What about the outside grilling tool. I scrub it 3+ times a year, as we use it 3 times a week, 4 seasons, sun, moon, rain, snow.
If you have a name brand BBQ, put the oem parts back in it. They fit perfectly. Check your warranty. Some have lifetime. Some have subsidized oem parts. Like a car, there is a sticker with a model number and serial number. Have that handy.
Call the help department. Talk their ears off, as moments pass, they will get you 50% off the part, or free, or free shipping. My mom's 2o+ year old Webber was about 100 bucks to totally rebuild. Works like new. If you want to spend 1200 for a new clean BBQ, because you are too lazy to clean your old one? That is cool too. There are even BBQ cleaning companies, for lazy people. https://canadianbbqboys.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
And then gave up. It sounds great but I would wonder exactly how often are you going to make pizza? Once the honeymoon period wears off, then what? Its not like a grille where you can cook about anything on it, any kind of meat, etc.
Good luck
Actually you can cook a huge variety of food and recipes in a wood fired oven.

https://www.fornobravo.com/community-cookbook/

·
Registered
756 Posts
Wood fired oven !!!??

Here in the DR, every self respecting Dominican ignites a pile of wood and puts a pig on a spit.
Then sits there for however many hours turning the spit by hand... all night sometimes

One year, we decided to have a New Year's Day party... with a pig

You get to pick your pig.... I went to my local pig farm and surveyed the current drop.
Picked my pig - early before the Holiday price hike... forget the price

They stuffed it in a bag... I said tie that bag tightly!!!
It was going in the back of my open Jeep

My local chef (Fabio) offered to keep it for me for the 2-3 weeks until New Years

Every day, I took the kitchen scraps to that pig
My daughters wouldn't go near it... it would be dinner not a pet !!

They're smart - pigs
It got to know the sound of my car - knew I had food-- and came to the gate
Putting its little hooves on the rail... standing up , snorting at me

I should have kept it for a pet - smart as a dog and friendly

It was a good New Year's Day lunch... that little pig... fed about 20
Delivered on the spit on a palm frond....very good photo op.

Life in the tropics !!!

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Actually you can cook a huge variety of food and recipes in a wood fired oven https://www.fornobravo.com/community-cookbook/
Are you sure that the recipes, other than for pizza there, are really for a 900 degree oven and this is not just a cookbook? I don't see any cooking temps or time for some of those recipes.

My best suggestion for BBQ-ing is even an consistent heat. An electronic gauge is neat.
But a flair up, from a dirty BBQ can ruin the fun quickly.
I'm glad you brought that up. Whats the best thing for the grill itself, the metal grates on top that you have spotless in your last picture? To be fair, I've owned several different charcoal grills and one gas grill, all long gone. What did I use? Don't remember. But I've been reading and things change. So I see:

1.) some people say do NOT use the metal wire brushes. Wires are falling off and people eating them. Very bad, punctures intestines, and they don't get spotless. This thing with the wires falling off have become a thing lately. https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/wire-grill-brush-danger/ That sounds nasty.

2.) Some say don't use the chemical cleaners for obvious reasons. Its not 1965 anymore and avoiding hazardous cleaning products is now a thing. I hate to buy a commercial chemical cleaner.

So which is the best for getting the grills spotless?

·
Super Moderator
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Here in the DR, every self respecting Dominican ignites a pile of wood and puts a pig on a spit.
Then sits there for however many hours turning the spit by hand... all night sometimes
You're there now? You guys got a problem there or something. Whats going on? Bad booze from the minibars?

When I was in Hawaii, I saw them cooking up pig in the earth pits. Then a Luau. I didn't like the pork so much, or maybe it was the Poi. It was all n the same plate ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes... here now - about 8-9 months a year

Much ado about nothing..
In fact less American visitors have died this year than last...
all had heart conditions and multiple medications

Sensationalism in the press....IMO

Reading the autopsy results tells a sorry story about them....
teetering on the edge of life some of them

then they eat & drink like sailors....

·
Registered
756 Posts
41 - 60 of 89 Posts