Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
But can't I buy a piwis tester used from kijiji for 1000$. Wont that allow me to do some fault code reading and long code adjustments at the least, without additional cost ?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,029 Posts
Who knows?

You may just spend $1000 for nothing - or it may work like a charm, although I kind
of doubt that...

Keep us posted should you decide to purchase the used PIWIS tester

There are other diagnostic tools out there, nowhere near as comprehensive as a PIWIS unit, with
a substantially lower price tag.

;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just spent about 3 hours going through many different threads reading about durametric, isoft, Autel, etc... modules to reset oil change and scan for fault.
Anyone confirmed which works for oil change, brake job, and AGM battery replacement?
I bought oil filter, oil, brake parts, etc.... and trying to decide whether I should do the job or have it done at local shop for $160. (Yes, it's good price IMO but I personally prefer to do the job by myself or get it done at Porsche dealer)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think I will be getting the autel MD808, wanted the piwis, but not sure I will be doing as much coding/changes as I do with vw/Audi and vag com to be worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, has anyone actually bought a PIWIS 3? I picked up a Macan S 2018 today and I do my own general maintenance. From what I understand, only the PIWIS 3 supports 2018+. I want the ability to code the module to change the boost display in the MFD to 1.6 bar. If you have purchased one, and have a good experience (it works) can you link to where/what you've purchased please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Having been spoiled (as so many of you in the Audi/VDub/Lambo world) by VCDS, I'm going to contact Uwe Ross and see what it would take to get him to branch out into the Porsche world.

But more importantly, as I understand this, OBD2 is divided into a generic (P0xxx) and proprietary (P1xxx) codes for Powertrain codes, for example. It would thus seems "reasonable" to expect that VCDS "should" be able to read P0xxx codes. I have the new VCDS cable supporting UDS data for current VDub/Audi/Lambo but obviously I've not received my 2020 Macan S to test this.

I thus wonder if anyone with the latest VCDS (software and hardware) and a Macan has tried to read their vehicle?

siberian

·
Super Moderator
2,029 Posts
As VCDS, by definition, is Windows-based Diagnostic Software for VW / Audi / Seat / Skoda, it's a bit
puzzling why one would anticipate it working with Porsche vehicles.

It seems that Porsche expends considerable effort to keep its vehicle control software proprietary and
locked up.

I'd imagine Mr. Ross would have to spend considerable time/effort to reverse engineer the Porsche
management software in order to develop a product for a very limited market. Of all the vehicles on the
roads today, what percentage are Porsche cars? Minuscule, at best.

...hope springs eternal...

;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting, but not sure I follow what Windows has to do with it. Out of interest what are Porsche systems based on? VCDS handles Lamborghini, but I guess when VDub bought them they just imposed their monitoring protocols as with Audi and Skoda.

My point is P0xxx are generic codes as defined by LAW not Porsche or Ferrari etc. P1xxx are of course another matter.

If anyone can try and see or explain why the "OS" would be an impediment I'd appreciate it!

siberian

·
Super Moderator
2,029 Posts
Interesting, but not sure I follow what Windows has to do with it.

The software product noted runs only in a Windows (operating system) environment. It doesn't run on
Mac laptops or under Linux, etc. The description I provided was taken from the VCDS website. A Mac
user would need to configure a Windows VM in order to run the VCDS s/w - which does not support Porsches.

I hear where you're coming from - BMW owners enjoy tweaking their vehicles since people have cracked
that software. Again, there are many more BMWs on the roads than there are Porsches. The effort required
to decipher the BMW system can be amortized over a potentially greater number of retail sales of such
diagnostic s/w. The Porsche community is tiny by comparison.

The PIWIS system has it all, though it's expen$ive to buy and co$tly to maintain on a monthly basis.

The Porsche do-it-yourselfer doesn't have it very easy in this respect.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I realize that. You would have to have a Windows compatible laptop to run VCDS, as VMWare or Parallels is not really recommended to run VCDS (though some folks have successfully made it work). I'm thus going from the premise that a user is currently running VCDS on a Windows machine, with the latest software version and preferably with the new cable supporting long coding for UDS values and protocols.

The interface to the Porsche communications system is done through (probably) low level C system calls that only rely on Windows for the GUI. The interface (at that time independent from PIWIS or whatever) structures a command/response frame to the C subroutine which is the passed to the OBD2 port using the OSI 7 layer protocol.

A call to determine a P0xxx code from a CEL for example would be the same whether you're on PIWIS or VCDS or a handheld as those codes are mandated to be made available generically to any and all and are thus both manufacturer and software platform independent as long as the request (system call) is adhered to.

Just trying to see if anyone with a VCDS system can read anything (generic) on the Macan. And yes, I'm a Linux/VMS/OSX/MVS 40 year IT veteran the last 20 in nets and comms.

siberian

The software product noted runs only in a Windows (operating system) environment. It doesn't run on
Mac laptops or under Linux, etc. The description I provided was taken from the VCDS website. A Mac
user would need to configure a Windows VM in order to run the VCDS s/w - which does not support Porsches.

I hear where you're coming from - BMW owners enjoy tweaking their vehicles since people have cracked
that software. Again, there are many more BMWs on the roads than there are Porsches. The effort required
to decipher the BMW system can be amortized over a potentially greater number of retail sales of such
diagnostic s/w. The Porsche community is tiny by comparison.

The PIWIS system has it all, though it's expen$ive to buy and co$tly to maintain on a monthly basis.

The Porsche do-it-yourselfer doesn't have it very easy in this respect.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As I thought, the fact that VCDS is a Windows based system has absolutely NOTHING to do with VW/Audi/Porsche diagnostic monitoring (reference reply 2 concerning Windows). Here is the answer from Ross-Tech

1) Porsche uses a different set of diagnostic data than VW so you would be unlikely to get much out of it with VCDS beyond generic OBD2, which isn't guaranteed:

https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/obd-2.php

It shouldn't use up a VIN just trying to connect and VCDS will explicitly ask you to store a VIN including making you type in the last digits of it.

2) It sounds like the forum person may be confused.

Regards,

When I get the vehicle I'll see if I can read the generic codes as I postulated and as was confirmed above. Now what exactly Porsche has left as generic may simply be "windshield washer fluid low" :)

Stay tuned

siberian

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Porsche Macan. The Porsche dealership charges a lot of money for servicing. Last time they charged $650 for Oil and filter change and around $800 for spark plug change..:poop:
I'm thinking about buying a Chinese PIWIS 2 knock-off to help unravel some mysteries. Porsche has behaved so unethically IMO (withholding PDK repair info, almost no replacement parts) that I have few moral qualms about buying what is very likely pirated software. Not to mention that China is Porsche's number one market worldwide, and Porsche knew the rule of law was non-existent when they decided to do business there. The PIWIS instruction manual I downloaded from the Chinese website appears to be a copy of an actual Porsche document.

New High Quality Piwis Tester II V18.1 Tester for Porsche here €390.00, no shipping free, Hope it is worth the price

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
my iCarsoft has been absolutely perfect in resetting the oil change indicator and intermediate service indicators. easily worth $150.

It has the capability to release the rear e-brake, but i haven't needed to change my pads yet. Within 10k miles i'll be doing so.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts