Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it might be better as a new thread for discussion.

I'm trying to decide between the PIWIS Tester II from http://www.uobd2.net/ and the Durametric. Apparently the Durametric will not reset the electronic parking brake for service.

For those that know or have done research in the past, does the Piwis Tester II absolutely require up-dates to work, or just when you want to access other features? I'm hoping it will also adjust the level reading of the Oil Level display, as well as allow servicing the rear electronic parking brake. Since uobd2.net is a Chinese company, I'm not sure how trustworthy they are in giving accurate information about their products.

Any one here have the PIWIS Tester II?

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it might be better as a new thread for discussion.

I'm trying to decide between the PIWIS Tester II from http://www.uobd2.net/ and the Durametric. Apparently the Durametric will not reset the electronic parking brake for service.

For those that know or have done research in the past, does the Piwis Tester II absolutely require up-dates to work, or just when you want to access other features? I'm hoping it will also adjust the level reading of the Oil Level display, as well as allow servicing the rear electronic parking brake. Since uobd2.net is a Chinese company, I'm not sure how trustworthy they are in giving accurate information about their products.

Any other opinions?
I've not used either, but based on research was going to buy the Durametric. I've been waffling like you since to do a rear rotor change, you HAVE to reset the parking brake.

Let me know if you end up getting the PIWIS.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've not used either, but based on research was going to buy the Durametric. I've been waffling like you since to do a rear rotor change, you HAVE to reset the parking brake.

Let me know if you end up getting the PIWIS.
What were the results of your research? I'm assuming you are still on the fence on this as am I, but are a bit closer as you are about to pull the trigger on the Durametric?

I still haven't had much success with finding or getting feedback from those that actually have owned or even used the PIWIS Tester II.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same questions on the PIWIS clone, i have post in another thread. Then I emailed uobd2.net sales girl. Update Piwis Tester II clone will adds the models & features, like Macan wiring diagram, service plan etc. Update is not cheap, LOL. Not sure if it is able to reset the electronic parking brake for service, you know, they sale products but not test cars. Good it comes with 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hello,

Have a look at the Autel Mot Pro EU 908 on auteltech.com around 499 euros
it should do the job, or then take the TRW Easycheck more expensive 1150 euros

I considere these 2 as master choice.

jM

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a PIWIS II clone and it's works fine. It has most PIWIS II functionality, can reset error codes, code modules, read current module data, update module firmware etc.

They generally can't do SCN coding (i.e. the coding required when a new control module is installed to lock it to VIN), key programming, or security coding in general - well not without paying additional 'one-time' use fees.

I've updated it a number of times to the latest version without any problems.

Durametric is a great tool but you can't code on a 981/991/Macan etc.

If you need more info just PM me.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm. I'm always a bit skeptical when responses come from a member who's never posted before, or have limited posts, etc., especially from someone like @Lilliflower per above. Poor grammar, similar to posts on some of the manufacture's websites that are supposedly feedback from customers, etc.

I'll play it safe and will likely go with an established make like Durametric when I make the purchase next year. I was going to buy from them last month, but the dealer did the re-set for me when I went in for service when I hadn't even made a request. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I for one am an avid Porsche fan :)

Had a Boxster (three in fact) for 10 years plus and only recently switched to a Macan due to a little one.

Done lots of retro-fits, illuminated door sills, coloured seat belts, TV tuner retrofit on the Boxster, if you're interested just PM me and I'll happily send them; just to prove I'm a real person :)

I'd have had both Durametric and the PIWIS II clone, if budget allows the PIWIS II clone is a better option. It just does more :)

Cheers.

Hmmmm. I'm always a bit skeptical when responses come from a member who's never posted before, or have limited posts, etc., especially from someone like @Lilliflower per above. Poor grammar, similar to posts on some of the manufacture's websites that are supposedly feedback from customers, etc.

I'll play it safe and will likely go with an established make like Durametric when I make the purchase next year. I was going to buy from them last month, but the dealer did the re-set for me when I went in for service when I hadn't even made a request. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
working

Any other opinions?
I verified Chinese cable PIWIS from uobd2.net can turn off airbag light on Boxster 986. Also it can reset service reminders, reads diagnostic trouble codes, displays actual values, shows ECU information, clears diagnostic trouble codes, turns off check engine light.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I verified Chinese cable PIWIS from uobd2.net can turn off airbag light on Boxster 986. Also it can reset service reminders, reads diagnostic trouble codes, displays actual values, shows ECU information, clears diagnostic trouble codes, turns off check engine light.
Looks like it's durametric clone, from the driver supplied. Have you tested this with Macan? I wonder if this can program/code the car, since durametric requires pro for programming.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For info you can't program/code a 981/991/Macan with a Durametric. The Pro version allows coding for 986/987/996/997 only.

Looks like it's durametric clone, from the driver supplied. Have you tested this with Macan? I wonder if this can program/code the car, since durametric requires pro for programming.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Be aware that coding on 981/991/Macan works differently to 986/996/987/997, you can't generally code individual settings in modules, it works by coding options. I.e. Code for Sports Exhaust, Sports Chrono, etc, etc. (Pretty much as the standard option codes when you order the car.)

Whilst there are some settings that can be set explicitly they are much more limited than with 986/996/987/997, from memory I think there is an option code for DRL (because it's region specific) but not for mirror fold on lock.

If there is a specific option you want me to check just PM me.

That's a bummer... Wish I didn't have to shell out 1k for PIWIS to code simple things like mirror fold on lock and DRL:(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Durametric is almost useless - unless you like to see info on various components or clear fault codes, save your money.
They don't even support EPB service (required for rear brake pad/rotor change).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Diagnostic Tool for Porsche

Always felt I should have taken the VAG-COM plunge with my Audi. Discussions indicate it offered a lot of great options to fine tune car systems.

As I wait for my Macan to arrive, I'm wondering if the Porsche version for diagnostics is any good: the "Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric" option?

I know a new update does support Macan, but I can't find any practical discussions of what this can do. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the Durametric enthusiast cable/software. It's great for reading modules and resetting error codes and service reminders. But unlike the VAG-COM (which I had for my TT), you cannot modify any of the modules with a Durametric.

Have you checked their web site? They have a good explanation of what their tool can do.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Which begs the question, is there anything out there that you can use to reprogram things like USA vs Euro hatch closing by remote, etc.?

Also, will a VAG-COM reader do anything with a Macan? Basic OBD2 diagnostics?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts