Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for feedback. I am looking at replacing my Acura Rdx.

I have never driven a Porsche. I have driven many options for me, but the only one so far that makes me smile while driving is the X3 35i. I do have concerns though with BMW reliability.

Now that the Macan is an option, I wonder how it will handle vs the X3. I know it is not a Q5, but when I tested the new Q5 with 3.0t engine I wasn't overly impressed. To me the X3 is still a lot more fun to drive.

Considering a pre-order on the Macan and any feedback on handling would be appreciated. I am also looking at the 435xi to truly have an AWD rocket. But my hope is that there is a SUV out there that can give me that true sports car feel...almost at least. The X3 is close...

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Since the Macan isn't on the road yet you can really only go by the reviews. Dynamically the Porsche is supposed to be superior to the X3. The Q5 is not a good comparison to the Macan other than size.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Its hard to say right now. Also depends which Macan model you are looking at :)

The X3 is nice due to its agile steering and lightweight body.

The Q5 also wasn't that great of a drive for me but the only thing the Macan shares with the Q5 is the actual frame. I'm hoping the suspension and steering will make the Macan superior

·
Registered
118 Posts
repost: I've driven a 2013 X3 for about 400 miles, part freeway, part mountain roads, and it is a very nice car. Comparing it to what Porsche has done with the Macan is purely academic at this point since none of us have seen or driven a real one yet, but in my experience (owning 911s, 914s, 356, Cayenne, and GT3 as well as an M5 and several "normal" bummers) the comparison is like apples to oranges. The Macan will be an entirely different machine. For some of us, there really isn't any substitute.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wife has an X1 and IMO an X3 would have to be 10 times nicer to even be in the conversation. Reliability -- or lack of it -- also has to be a major factor; not sure what's going on with BMW but it's not good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife has an X1 and IMO an X3 would have to be 10 times nicer to even be in the conversation. Reliability -- or lack of it -- also has to be a major factor; not sure what's going on with BMW but it's not good.
I have driven an X1 and X3, albeit a 28i X1 vs a 35i X3. The X3 was much nicer. But you bring up my #1 concern with BMW and that is reliability. My understanding is POrsche would win out on this category hands down. I have read many stories of reliability more on the BMW side of things. And not surprisingly, the first test drive I ever did in a BMW X3 2011 died on us half way through and limped back to the dealership. I have always wondered if that foreshadows ownership and at $65k for an X3 I cannot imagine being concerned about reliability.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2011 x3 35i withe the staggered 19" wheels and the sports suspension
which I special ordered. This is just the steel set up available outside the states.

Definitely a good driving car and for me it's been trouble free.
Steering is a little light in normal mode and better in sport mode

I would not say it handles nearly as well as a 3 series.

I'm looking at the macan because I'm super curious to see if it's $20k better.
I think the macan looks better and I know it's faster. That may be enough.

I put in an earlier post that feature wise the 2 cars are very similar, though the macan s is faster and better looking.

I certainly got a lot of heat from the Porsche community that I would compare the two. I think BMW is good but I do think there is something that more special
about Porsche.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2011 x3 35i withe the staggered 19" wheels and the sports suspension
which I special ordered. This is just the steel set up available outside the states.

Definitely a good driving car and for me it's been trouble free.
Steering is a little light in normal mode and better in sport mode

I would not say it handles nearly as well as a 3 series.

I'm looking at the macan because I'm super curious to see if it's $20k better.
I think the macan looks better and I know it's faster. That may be enough.

I put in an earlier post that feature wise the 2 cars are very similar, though the macan s is faster and better looking.

I certainly got a lot of heat from the Porsche community that I would compare the two. I think BMW is good but I do think there is something that more special
about Porsche.
I agree the Porsche name carries more weight than BMW in my mind. But with a specd out X3 at 64k and Macan S at 68k these are both contenders in my mind especially since they price out very similarly for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. I'm surprised they are so close in price for you.
You're in Canada, right?

When I load up a Macan like my x3 I'm almost
$20k more at MSRP.

Are you sure you are apples to apples with features?

I thought BMW really charged for everything,
but now I feel like BMW is the value product compared to
Porsche.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. I'm surprised they are so close in price for you.
You're in Canada, right?

When I load up a Macan like my x3 I'm almost
$20k more at MSRP.

Are you sure you are apples to apples with features?

I thought BMW really charged for everything,
but now I feel like BMW is the value product compared to
Porsche.
I think it is pretty close comparison for options list.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, there you go.
I'd definitely drive both and wait for the 2015 BMW LCI (refresh) that should happen in April if you were headed towards the BMW.

I'm kind of excited over the Porsche given its
new and it's a Porsche.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't think an X3 is in the same league with the Macan. The same way X5 is not at the same level with the Cayenne, there is no comparison other than size :p.

I have driven the X3 35i and it left me absolutely unimpressed. You should drive an X5 and Cayenne back to back and extrapolate to the X3. The Cayenne is so much more refined, balanced and sporty, the X5 drives like a truck in comparison.

I expect the difference between an X3 and the Macan to be even more striking giving the PDK, the engine, suspension, better steering, etc. Really, no BMW compares with Porsche unless you are talking about the M variants and even there they are lacking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow well I am very excited to hear that. I thought the X3 engine was quite fun and handling vg. So if Macan S trumps that then there will be no debate. Price wise they are similar for my specs so Porsche will be an easy choice. I guess after driving the Q5 and being less than thrilled I was concerned Macan might have some same feel...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.