Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to clarify. I am not crazy :). I have also researched this topic to death. I have not found a clear answer. Please don't reference a thread that shows how to get the passenger side mirror to tilt down in reverse. I got that covered. I'm trying to figure out how to lower the DRIVERS side mirror again.

When I first purchased my vehicle BOTH driver and passenger side mirrors would lower when the vehicle was put in reverse. I liked this feature when backing down my long driveway. There are plenty of objects that could scratch my car on either side. This function worked great for the first few weeks I owned the vehicle. Then, I decided to re-adjust the mirrors. Both of them stopped tilting down in reverse. Ughh.

I tried many trouble shooting tips listed in the forums. I eventually got the passengers side mirror to tilt down again when in reverse. But, I can't for the life of me get the drivers side to tilt down again. If I adjust the drivers side mirror while in reverse then save the setting it stays that way. It does not tilt back up when placing the shifter in drive and taking off. The passenger side mirror will tilt back up

Many people say that only the passengers side mirror will tilt. This is not true. Both of my mirrors tilted down prior. I just want to get back to that functionality.

Can anyone help?

Ge0

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
A quote from the Owner's Manual for a 2018 Macan -

"On vehicles with driver memory or comfort memory,
the mirror glass on the passenger's side swivels
down slightly to show the curb area when reverse
gear is engaged."

The bold lettering is in the manual.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quote from the Owner's Manual for a 2018 Macan -

"On vehicles with driver memory or comfort memory,
the mirror glass on the passenger's side swivels
down slightly to show the curb area when reverse
gear is engaged."

The bold lettering is in the manual.
Got that. I'm just telling what I observed in the past and want back. Regardless of what is printed in the manual.

Ge0

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year and model, and possibly relevant options, do you have?
Very good point. I have a 2016 Macan S with the Premium Plus package. This package includes the memory function.

I can't think of any other features my vehicle has (Bose, wheels, etc.) that are relevant.

Ge0

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driver's side mirror does not tilt down in reverse.
I would agree with you if it did not see it for myself and found it useful. Did I mention in post #1 that I was not crazy :)?

I did see a post from a woman in another forum stating that when she put her Macan in reverse the passenger side did not tilt down as far as the driver side. So, I am not alone. She fixed the problem by reprogramming the passenger side mirror only to match the driver side.

Perhaps enabling both was part of a software bug that cleared itself when I re-adjusted the mirrors and saved them. If you think about it, the same electronics need to support RH and LH drive vehicles.

Ge0

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
Yes - dealer.

I have never observed my driver's side mirror tilting down. If yours did that, I would file
it under anomalous behavior - AKA a bug.

I would think there are probably thousands of Macans out there with the Premium Plus package.
Your observation and the report of the woman are the only instances I have heard of this behavior.

It's likely software causes a signal to be sent to the passenger side mirror to tilt down when
reverse gear is selected and the option has been selected, so conceivably software could be
modified to send the signal to the driver's side mirror as well.

Modifying that software would be the nut to crack...

:unsure:

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I have had 7 contemporary Porsches. I have never seen the driver's side mirror tilt down in reverse. The passenger's side mirror tilts down so that you can see the curb. You don't need that on the driver's side.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes - dealer.

I have never observed my driver's side mirror tilting down. If yours did that, I would file
it under anomalous behavior - AKA a bug.

I would think there are probably thousands of Macans out there with the Premium Plus package.
Your observation and the report of the woman are the only instances I have heard of this behavior.

It's likely software causes a signal to be sent to the passenger side mirror to tilt down when
reverse gear is selected and the option has been selected, so conceivably software could be
modified to send the signal to the driver's side mirror as well.

Modifying that software would be the nut to crack...

:unsure:
I believe this to be the case (software bug). The memory controller must have been stuck in a mode where it was supporting passenger mirror tilt for both RH and LH drive variants of the vehicle. I must have cleared this bug by re-programming the position of the mirrors. I just spent an hour playing with the mirrors trying to replicate. Indeed, everything goes as stated in the user manual.

I develop software for similar automotive applications (including a window / mirror controller for VW). I understand that software glitches can occur. Chances are Porsche knows about this but decided not to correct it. Mostly due to the time / cost involved in re-validation to correct vs. the fact that it rarely occurs + no customer complaints.

Ge0

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had 7 contemporary Porsches. I have never seen the driver's side mirror tilt down in reverse. The passenger's side mirror tilts down so that you can see the curb. You don't need that on the driver's side.
I'll argue that I did find it useful to tilt the drivers side mirror. I have a long narrow driveway to back down. I was using the drivers side mirror to follow the edge of the driveway and avoid scraping my chain link fence. On the other side I was using the passengers side mirror to avoid hitting my house.

I learned to use this system to back down my driveway with my last vehicle that would also tilt both mirrors down. I was biased towards using the drivers side and just grew accustomed to it.

Oh well, life will go on. I can adapt :)

Ge0

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I'll argue that I did find it useful to tilt the drivers side mirror. I have a long narrow driveway to back down. I was using the drivers side mirror to follow the edge of the driveway and avoid scraping my chain link fence. On the other side I was using the passengers side mirror to avoid hitting my house.

I learned to use this system to back down my driveway with my last vehicle that would also tilt both mirrors down. I was biased towards using the drivers side and just grew accustomed to it.

Oh well, life will go on. I can adapt :)

Ge0
I certainly see your point. I've gotten pretty adept at using the backup camera but I don't have to back down a long narrow driveway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Although the image quality of the Macan's backup camera is not as good as the one in my last vehicle I do find its positioning with respect to the vehicle more acurate. In my last vehicle the camera was not aligned properly with the vehicle. The vehicle would move slightly to the right if I aligned my camera straight down the driveway. So, I'm starting to trust the Macan's camera more.

Ge0

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe what you observed happening with the driver mirror, was possibly a result of getting in the car, starting it up, putting it quickly into reverse, while it was still jumping from memory 1 to memory 2 or vice versa. All other settings being the same between those 2 memories, (seat position, steering wheel position if power) then the mirrors COULD re-position at that time and if it was going from a higher viewing position memory setting to a lower viewing position memory setting, that is what it would appear to be doing.

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
I believe what you observed happening with the driver mirror, was possibly a result of getting in the car, starting it up, putting it quickly into reverse, while it was still jumping from memory 1 to memory 2 or vice versa. All other settings being the same between those 2 memories, (seat position, steering wheel position if power) then the mirrors COULD re-position at that time and if it was going from a higher viewing position memory setting to a lower viewing position memory setting, that is what it would appear to be doing.

That's a good explanation! It seems like a reasonable possibility.

I thought of two additional potential strategies for the long, narrow driveway:

1. Back UP the driveway instead of backing down.

2. This one eliminates the need to drive in reverse - turn around at the top of the driveway or, if not
enough space in the driveway, use part of the garage to reverse the vehicle's direction.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That's a good explanation! It seems like a reasonable possibility.

I thought of two additional potential strategies for the long, narrow driveway:

1. Back UP the driveway instead of backing down.

2. This one eliminates the need to drive in reverse - turn around at the top of the driveway or, if not
enough space in the driveway, use part of the garage to reverse the vehicle's direction.

Good luck!

·
Registered
679 Posts
How about just programming the 2 driver memory settings to be identical except for the position of the driver mirror which is tilted in one setting ? Just push the appropriate memory setting before reversing to tilt the driver mirror as the car should tilt the passenger mirror by itself.

Now, aren't you glad you choose to drive such a wonderous car :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about just programming the 2 driver memory settings to be identical except for the position of the driver mirror which is tilted in one setting ? Just push the appropriate memory setting before reversing to tilt the driver mirror as the car should tilt the passenger mirror by itself.

Now, aren't you glad you choose to drive such a wonderous car :)
I remembered my main problem with this technique tonight. Once in gear you can't switch memory profiles. A major pain to stop the car, shift from reverse back to park, wait to select a profile, go back to #1 or FOB, and then shift back into reverse to complete the backup. I feel like this is going to wear out the transmission faster by shifting more often.

I hear these transmissions are not so reliable in 2016.

Ge0

1 - 20 of 21 Posts