Porsche Macan Forum banner

Driver seat excessive wear

13K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Rrj66 
#1 ·
Hi, is anyone have problem with excessive wear on the driver side seat. I have a garnet red full leather interior on my 2015 Macan S with 45 000km on it. I've already the replacement of the driver seat leather cover done under warranty with 30 000 km and now with 45 000km I'm still having excessive wear...:crying:
WTF is going on???

#3 ·
Pictures??? 45 000 km is a lot of use and leather is natural so it will show marks. Have you tried a leather conditioner? I applied Leatherique on mine this weekend and really liked the results.

#6 ·
Well, here goes my first post.

Those in the picture are compression wrinkles. They come from sitting on top of the side bolster instead of inside of them. This is pretty common if you don't readjust after sliding your rear into the car.

I'm super picky about this and have had to scold my friends for doing it on the passenger side, especially bigger friends.

On the driver's side, in my experience, most wear shows up on the upper bolster rather than on the lower one. This happens when getting in and out of the vehicle and sliding in between the steering wheel and the seat. I've solved the issue by programming seat memory #2 to back the seat out and program #1 in my driving position. Pushing the correct buttons when getting in and out gives me enough room without sliding across the bolster.

So most wear comes from one of two issues: 1) sitting on the lower bolster and compressing the leather into a crease, and 2) sliding across the upper bolster when getting in and out.

Both are solvable, and once solved definitely reduce wear on both leather and fabric. Yes, conditioning the leather will help, but it is also necessary to reduce the cause of the wear - preventative vs. corrective.

#7 ·
All valid points but I don't think these are easily doable on a everyday use. I usually don't sit on the lower bolster but I find it inevitable that you will slide across the upper bolster when getting in and out. Your strategy of moving the seat out does not work for me since I always have a kid seating behind me and doing that will squeeze his legs. BTW, if your car has Entry&Drive once you turn the car off the seat will move all the way back and the steering wheel will move all the way up and that basically does what you did by storing in the memory and pressing it. Entry&Drive does that automatically but I disabled on my car because of my son seats behind me.

#9 ·
If this is a 14-way seat, I probably doubt the crease would be there.
I agree..I think the 14-ways wear better due to the lower bolster but I would not want to give up the higher bolster in the 8-way or 18-way seats. I try to be careful getting in and out and I condition the bolster often to keep it soft but it's inevitable it will happen. I had it on my Cayenne GTS before I even took delivery...the car was on the showroom floor and was wrinkled just from people getting in and out it while on display...I got a great discount so I was OK with it. It didn't get much worse over two years so I am hoping that my Macan seat will look better since it's starting out with no wear and I am careful to not sit on the bolster.

#10 ·
Only mildly related but my steering wheel was replaced at 15K miles (under good will, Porsche denied it). The top of the wheel was rough and the finish had pulled away from the hide. They claimed it was hand lotion (which I never use) or was over conditioned and softened the leather to the point it broke down. I used to work for a detailer and know the importance of quality ph balanced conditioner. Nothing is better than a clean damp cloth to clean any salts out of the hide. I only use quality products. They tried to say sweaty hands too lol. When I explained I live in New England and 1/2 the year NOTHING is sweating they decided it was hand lotion. I do not have a heated wheel.
So just slathering conditioner on it could cause issues according to Porsche.

#11 ·
Don't really understand why someone would need to apply leather conditioner to the steering wheel. As I mentioned in other posts this is for me the best steering wheel I ever had in any car. The leather feels amazing and I don't expect it to start cracking that a conditioner is needed. I applied conditioner to my seat and it looks great.

#12 ·
I have leather on my Boxster's steering wheel. I live in the south, and not uncommonly have the top down. My leather still looks fresh. I don't use hand lotion, and am not overly fussy on the inside of the car. I do wear gloves when its cold and the top is down, as my fingers get cold, and its hard to do my job when I get to work with frozen fingers (orthopedic surgeon).

My milage is low ~19K over almost 4 years now, but a lot of sun and hot weather. Leather looks pretty much new on my steering wheel,with mild wear on the 14 way seats. I do use entry and drive though. Faulty leather on your wheel I would imagine, its good that your dealer fixed it for you.

#14 ·
Left pic. (non conditioned) Passenger seat bolster. Not much wear :).... that's because I stuffed my passenger in the trunk if they don't agree to ride the rear seats.

Right pic. Driver seat. Just put on a bit of conditioner to ease off some dryness. Crease is still there and there is no way to get it any better, I am afraid.

Attachments

#15 ·
Hi, is anyone have problem with excessive wear on the driver side seat. I have a garnet red full leather interior on my 2015 Macan S with 45 000km on it. I've already the replacement of the driver seat leather cover done under warranty with 30 000 km and now with 45 000km I'm still having excessive wear...

WTF is going on???
Are you talking about bolsters or the seat in general? What type of seat do you have?
Sorry forgot to mention it. Yes is the outside bolsters. I have 18way seat with heated and vented seat. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
For me is unacceptable for a car with a 8000$ option full leather package. The leather seems so thin and really cheap to me for that kind of car.

#17 ·
Hi, is anyone have problem with excessive wear on the driver side seat. I have a garnet red full leather interior on my 2015 Macan S with 45 000km on it. I've already the replacement of the driver seat leather cover done under warranty with 30 000 km and now with 45 000km I'm still having excessive wear...

WTF is going on???
Are you talking about bolsters or the seat in general? What type of seat do you have?
Sorry forgot to mention it. Yes is the outside bolsters. I have 18way seat with heated and vented seat. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
For me is unacceptable for a car with a 8000$ option full leather package. The leather seems so thin and really cheap to me for that kind of car.
It is very high quality leather. For better or worse, high quality leather is soft. Scratches come easy but they also come out easily.

#18 ·
Excessive wear on leather seat

I have the same problem after less than one year and less than 10,000 miles. Seat is wearing terribly on left bolster and will eventually split- my entry and exit from car are quite normal. I have asked Porsche for relief and am waiting for a reply. I love the Macan other than this leather seat issue.

#20 ·
Welcome to the forum @LS2016. I have the 14 ways seats and with nearly 18k miles it still looks flawless. I haven't conditioned them yet. I do garage my S and at work I park in a garage as well . I'm sure less sun on the seats helps . I'm careful getting in and out to lessen the wear issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.