Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a placeholder for our Macan adventure and build photos and videos.

2015 Macan S
KW Variant 3 Coilovers
Ferrada 20x10.5 ET38 wheels - 15mm spacers up front, 30mm spacers in rear
295/30-20 tires all around
Muffler delete by Forged Performance in Atlanta, GA
Flat6 Motorsports intakes.

More specifics about the build coming up shortly...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This post will document the build progress up to the point I started this journal, then updates will go in comments.

Today we corner-balanced the new suspension.

This was before adjusting the toe. Camber and caster are where I want them for max grip, and we got the toe back in the green (Bottom gauges) so it won't chew up the tires driving straight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So you're running a square tire setup, just with different spacers?

How do you like the KW's?

Wife gave up her Boxster last year for the Macan - but misses autocross. Not a lot of suspension options out there so looking at the KW setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you're running a square tire setup, just with different spacers?

How do you like the KW's?

Wife gave up her Boxster last year for the Macan - but misses autocross. Not a lot of suspension options out there so looking at the KW setup.
Yes, square setup with same wheel offset all around so we can easily rotate front to back without having to remove tires from wheels.

Wife and I love them, we run them (V3) on her S2000 as well. They offer a great ride for the improvement in body roll control thanks to the 2-way compression valving, but they are on the slightly softer side for a performance coilover, so expect to still have a bit of body roll in autoX. I wish someone made upgraded sway bars for these things, but I haven't found any yet.

Be aware that we were unable to find anyone in the US that stocked these coilovers, and had to order them from KW in Germany via ForgedPerformance.com. It takes KW about 2 months to get them to you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks!

It's a little surprising I guess that nobody really makes parts for these. You'd think the basics would all be out there. Especially since it shares a platform with the Audi (S)Q5....

I'm also finding it very hard to get a sticky AX-able tire unless I also buy wheels and do a custom fitment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few shots to update what we've been up to. Got out and played in the snow today, could have swapped over to the stock wheels with all-season tires, but I kinda wanted some shots with the fancy wheels, so it was summer slicks! WEEE!!!! Kinda sketchy, but wasn't too bad...just took it easy and ran in Off-Road mode where it was covered with snow/ice, like this shot.

Went up to one of our favorite overlooks in the area, Maple Springs overlook near Joyce Kilmer memorial forest in Robbinsville, NC.

The view in the opposite direction is stunning as long as it's not fogged in.

The results of all that driving and maybe a few donuts in some dirty leaves took some work to clean off.

A shot with the stock wheels, a bit chipped up because the previous owners painted them black instead of getting them properly powder-coated. This is up on the Cherohala Skyway, also Robbinsville, NC.

Got some cool key fob covers off of Aliexpress.com

And finally some silly Initial-D style drift edit until next time. ;)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Should've just bought a Panamera since that's what it looks like lowered that much. Glad you like it....

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
A CM Wraith!!! Holy ****!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your kind words---

It is a hoot to ride. When I bought it I pulled it completely apart and rebuilt it due to the poor upkeep from the first owner. I was afraid that it would be a poser Art bike and not be ridable. But I was greatly surprised how much fun it is once you get used to it top-heavy handling. I ride it like an old '80's Superbike and all is good. I have about 6K miles on it so far.

JT Nesbitt was the designer - cool guy all the way around. He sent me a book of his designs/builds after our first discussion.

My passion is restoring/building/tracking motorcycles- all kinds but mostly early WSB Ducatis. I got into vintage Indians about six years ago after I built my BMW /2 conversion shown in the first photo.

I am currently building a 1937 Harley Knucklehead bobber for a friend of mine.

DSC_0009.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts