Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've probably done close to a hundred brake jobs over the years. In recent years this has included replacing the wear sensors on the pads when so equipped. With every job I have ever done, when I put everything back together and started the car the dash warning light was gone now that the new sensor and pads are installed. Until this weekend and the Macan!

Our wear warning light came on last week. We got 50k out of the original front pads which was pretty good so I paid the big bucks and went with OEM new pads. The job went well and here in the US even the base Macan gets the HD 4 piston calipers up in front. I get the job all done, start the car, and go for a ride. Brakes feel great but my warning light is still on. What the heck?? I pull the wheels off, confirm I have everything hooked up correctly, take the sensor apart, put it back together, all looks good. Try the car again, warning light is still on???!!!

Then I start to think about it and call a buddy who works at a dealership and sure enough I learned that they are now storing the wear warning code in the OBD system and it has to be cleared at the stealership after the replacement!!!! (or someplace else). What a pain. And why??? Just another reason to force you to go to a servicer. I know, I should get my own fault clearing tool.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Jeff, yes, PITA, but won't even the cheapest OBD reader reset an OBD fault code, even on a Porsche?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you also replace the rear pads? Maybe a sensor on the back instead?

I just replaced the pads on my Macan. Rear only. Warning light cleared when I started the car.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Had a genuine Porsche sensor cable that was defective right out of the box one time on one of my 911’s. Drove my nuts until I figured it out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've probably done close to a hundred brake jobs over the years. In recent years this has included replacing the wear sensors on the pads when so equipped. With every job I have ever done, when I put everything back together and started the car the dash warning light was gone now that the new sensor and pads are installed. Until this weekend and the Macan!

Our wear warning light came on last week. We got 50k out of the original front pads which was pretty good so I paid the big bucks and went with OEM new pads. The job went well and here in the US even the base Macan gets the HD 4 piston calipers up in front. I get the job all done, start the car, and go for a ride. Brakes feel great but my warning light is still on. What the heck?? I pull the wheels off, confirm I have everything hooked up correctly, take the sensor apart, put it back together, all looks good. Try the car again, warning light is still on???!!!

Then I start to think about it and call a buddy who works at a dealership and sure enough I learned that they are now storing the wear warning code in the OBD system and it has to be cleared at the stealership after the replacement!!!! (or someplace else). What a pain. And why??? Just another reason to force you to go to a servicer. I know, I should get my own fault clearing tool.
I just finished new pads all around along with front rotors. As well as 4 new sensors. My brake wear light is still on. Will it go out automatically or do I need to clear it via OBD2?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Just curious.
1. Are you a mechanic or were you a mechanic by trade?

2. If you are or were, I’d think you’d have that tool.

3. Assuming you are not a mechanic by trade and you got 50k on these brakes, giving you the benefit of the doubt, let’s say the average car needs brakes at 25k miles.

Math not being my strong suit, if I even have a strong suit, that would mean you’ve driven 2.5 million miles. If we go with 50k between brakes, that would be 5 million miles, or 20 trips to the moon

So, on second thought, how many brake jobs have you done?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hate that Porsche makes you go in to the shop for clearing these kinds of lights or codes. I do my own light maintenance at home and always have. Recently the oil change light came on in our '17 Macan GTS. I do the oil/filter regularly on my cars at 5K miles. MY wife took the Macan to Porsche of Walnut Creek for a recall campaign and I asked her to ask the service writer to have the technician clear the oil change message as I had just done oil/filter the previous month. They refused saying that if they do not change the oil/filter personally they can not clear the message as the cars have an electronic history that they must maintain. I called and spoke with the service department and they told me the same thing. Completely BS. I refuse to pay the dealership $300 for an oil/filter I can do for $50. I took the car to a friend with the right computer and he reset the oil change reminder for free. This is the reason people despise Porsche dealerships. Shame on Walnut Creek Porsche just ripping off life-long Porsche owners.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Brake wear sensors DO NOT require to be cleared with PIWIS.
GO around the car, first check the rear ones, how much pads left?
if the pads are ok and the sensors are at least 1mm away from the rear disc outer lip (I'm not talking about the surface, I'm talking about the outer lip) then disconnect the front ones one side at the time and just by pass them with a paper clip, then open the ignition and start the car, if the light goes away you had a defective new sensor, if not you probably need rear pads or sensors.
Again, NO RESET NEEDED.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts