Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I had an interesting conversation with the co-owner of Ralph's Porsche (located in Reisterstown, MD) yesterday about the Macan PDK service. First of all, if you are located near Reisterstown, MD and need a trustworthy non-dealership Porsche garage, it does not get any better than this place! Check them out! So I took my 2015 Macan Turbo in for its 80K service for which I still needed a brake fluid flush and PDK service. They took care of the brake flush no problem and then called me about the PDK service. The co-owner was on a conference call with Champion Porsche, Porsche Atlanta, and Porsche Towson trying to get each locations opinion about performing the PDK service or leaving it alone. They were going back and forth whether or not the PDK needs to be serviced every 40K miles or not. They came to the conclusion that it is better to not touch it (until much higher mileage, around 200K or so, or if you begin to notice/feel issues with the transmission). They said that the PDK is basically bulletproof and unless you are racing the car, the PDK should not be serviced as frequently as Porsche recommends. I was told that they see more issues arise after servicing them versus the vehicles that they don't touch. Nearly 2 years ago at my 40K service I paid a Porsche dealership (name withheld because I do not know all of the facts) to perform the PDK service and I was told it was completed along with the other 40K service items that I needed. The guys at Ralph's said it does not look like the transmission was ever serviced on my car. I have no idea if they have any real way to tell that but it does make you wonder if the work you pay for is the work being performed.

Anyways, has anyone else heard this story of not touching the PDK every 40K miles? I am interested to hear your opinion on this matter and how you handle the PDK services.

-GULFER1

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I am near 40k miles (at 38k miles) and debating whether/how to service the PDK. This is the first time I heard about not servicing the PDK at 40k miles.

How reputable is the shop? Usually shop looks for more services to do. LOL

However, if the PDK service is for the clutches like those in a manual transmission, the clutch fluid doesn't need to be changed so often. Porsche also recommends to change the auto transmission fluid at 180k miles, if I remember it right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is extremely odd. I'd rather have new fluids than not and the process to change isn't all that complicated. Just had mine done at an indy shop last week. Paid $200 for the fluid/parts from Suncoast and $140 in labor.

The process itself is not that much different than Audi/VW DSG or even BMW's AT service.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
My 997.2 PDK was serviced at 60k miles per Porsche schedule and Macan PP with 38K is almost due for PDK service. I would never skip a Porsche maintenance especially for the pricy PDK, even at $800 at Porsche dealer. I don’t need Porsche to deny blown PDK in the future because I neglected the maintenance.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I plan on doing mine @ 40K miles but think the 4 years is not supported by any facts.
Same with Spark Plugs & engine & cabin filters.

It is mileage & not time, despite what Porsche maintenance says.

If you have multiple cars or just don't drive much & @ 4 years have only 20K miles, do you need PDK service? I really doubt it. Obviously oil & filter changes are different & time makes sense.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've heard this argument before about automatic transmission service basically since forever. In a torque converter type there are bands that have wearing surfaces; in the PDK there are clutch plates. Both are immersed in fluid but that doesn't mean that wear, hence shedding of micro-size particles, doesn't happen. I'd prefer to get these particles out of the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This seems very odd to me, fluid breaks down; end of story. Heat causes expansion and contraction brakes down anti wear and other additives until all you have is a slimy slug that isn’t helping moving parts or passing through fluid channels properly. That being said I just changed mine for the first time at 60, what came out was a darkish yellow; what went in was greenish. Any service advisor or manufacturer trying to sell “lifetime” fluid must not be footing their own bill when that component fails.

That’s just my .02, most of my previous cars have been manual transmission; I recently picked up a Mini Cooper with a solenoid style cvt transmission; the fluid in it was “lifetime” and after the short lifetime of 93k miles the fluid broke down and the valve body failed. I replaced the valve body and the transmission runs excellent; and “lifetime” fluid will be replaced every 20k miles.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lifetime fluids or ones rated at high intervals such as 80k or 100k are just rated that high as to not scare purchasers as to how much proper maintenance actually costs. And if things fail during warranty they just bite the bullet and fix the few cases. After warranty they love the big repairs. I changed pdk clutch fluid and gear oil. Go try it you’ll see how much smoother it actually is. Ask the master tech’s they will recommend 20k for tc oil changes etc, definitely a lot sooner that manufacturer specified intervals.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for their input. Hopefully the dealer actually did the service at 40K and I am good to wait a little longer before getting it done again. How many people do their own PDK service?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks everyone for their input. Hopefully the dealer actually did the service at 40K and I am good to wait a little longer before getting it done again. How many people do their own PDK service?
I do it myself, bought the sun cost set, drained and filled with the same amount.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Those who believe you should change the PDK fluid & filters @ 4 years regardless of (low) miles...

Do you all believe the engine air filters need to be changed @ 3 yrs. even if have way under 30K miles? How about spark plugs? Change them @ 3 yrs, as Porsche states, even if have only 10K miles? No where near 30K miles?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure whether a specific amount of time is the correct parameter for servicing the PDK transmission oil...I do know when my PDK oil was changed for the 40K service my mechanic said the used oil was very dark in color.
If you are driving your Macan hard, like most of us, I would consider having the PDK oil changed sooner than 40K.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Those who believe you should change the PDK fluid & filters @ 4 years regardless of (low) miles...

Do you all believe the engine air filters need to be changed @ 3 yrs. even if have way under 30K miles? How about spark plugs? Change them @ 3 yrs, as Porsche states, even if have only 10K miles? No where near 30K miles?
Would you change your fuel if it sat in your vehicle for 4yrs? What about tires?

BMW's maintenance plan covers annual oil changes for those who are under miles...I wonder why?

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I don't exactly service my PDK, though I've never gone over 10k miles on any of the 6 I've owned.

What I do, however, is pay homage to it by genuflecting as it sings its sweet mellifluous smoothness when I stomp on it.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Would you change your fuel if it sat in your vehicle for 4yrs? What about tires?

BMW's maintenance plan covers annual oil changes for those who are under miles...I wonder why?
Oil is well know to require replacement by time ...even if only 100 miles driven. Fact & proven. It breaks down over TIME. I actually had searched for similar info on PDK or transmission fluid in general & found no such consensus.
Some mechanics even questioned changing transmission fluid, at all, absent problems with shifting!

RE fuel, it is known that fuel goes bad sitting in garage queens.
Tires? ~ 6 years, it is recommended to replace regardless of tread remaining bc the rubber deteriorated & can have side wall blow out & other issues. Also if car just sits, can develop flat spots . Again, known issues.

But RE the PDK, I can find nothing except anecdotal opinions based on some few people talking about the color.
I even asked the Porsche shop foreman if he thought it was OK to wait till 40K miles even if well after 4 years & he said not the Porsche recommendation but, he'd have no problem doing that if it was HIS Porsche.

For spark plugs & for engine air filters, Everything I have ever read or heard is mileage...never time. Obviously, dusty environments make a difference.

If someone has any scientific information on PDK service related to time vs mileage, please provide it.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
The life expectancy of an automatic transmission is largely dependent on the transmission fluid operating temperature. If the temperature is maintained around 175°F, the fluid should be good for around 100,000 miles. For every 20°F above that target, the oxidation rate doubles and the fluid life is cut in half. Since the transmission fluid temperature isn't rigorously monitored, and the cost of a transmission failure is very high, it makes sense to simply change the fluid at an earlier interval.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1110-technical-questions-and-answers/

https://streetsmarttransmission.com/transmission-fluid-application-guide/

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Porsche (the company that made your car) thinks it should be changed every 4 years, regardless of miles.

Everyone else (who didn't make your car) isn't sure, and says you may be fine going longer.

This is an expense most will incur 0-1 times per vehicle. Why try and speculate if you can go longer? Just change the fluid.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts