Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to the new rear washer nozzle, I also got the DME update a couple of days ago. I'm surprised I have not seen more posts on it. Although the dealer is not even sure of the changes and when the release notes are provided to the dealer, like other software updates (e.g. computer, iPhone, etc.), they often lack many of the details. I have noticed a material difference, so thought I would post this to see if it is just in my head. This is what I have noticed:

1) Up-Shifts are even smoother (ok, I didn't think that was possible, particularly for the upshifts)

2) Downshifts during braking are also much smoother with no jerkiness regardless of how early or late I break or if I brake suddenly

3) Heavy acceleration feels faster... also with amazingly smooth upshifts

4) Auto stop / start is vastly improved. A few times this morning on the way to work, I wasn't sure I had it engaged. I normally drive without it because it is so abrupt, but now it engages super fast, I don't feel the restart nearly as much (a few times, I didn't notice it at all).

I'm curious, particulary for #4 , for those that have had the PDK / DME update (WF14), if you have noticed any of these as well. I've heard folks say tha tthe downshift issue was the 'known' fix, but these others also seem to have been addressed. If it is all in my head, at least my insanity is making things better, not worse :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
... This is what I have noticed:

1) Up-Shifts are even smoother (ok, I didn't think that was possible, particularly for the upshifts)

2) Downshifts during braking are also much smoother with no jerkiness regardless of how early or late I break or if I brake suddenly

Agree whole-heartedly with all of the above. Rev matching is absolutely stunning. In addition, low-speed maneuvers are less prone to jump out of "HOLD" after shifting between reverse and drive - a previous problem in tight garages.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
My car is 3 months old and has 2100 miles on it. Thus, I have no scheduled maintenance for it. How can I get this update? Will the dealer get my car in for this if no other service is needed? Well, windshield wiper blades are squeaking but not sure if they will change those under warranty. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you can ask them just to perform the updated and campaigns. When you call to schedule they will look up your VIN to see which ones apply.

Should be no problem at all

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Tks. Just gave them a call and they checked my VIN# and no software or campaign updates available according to them.

Yes, you can ask them just to perform the updated and campaigns. When you call to schedule they will look up your VIN to see which ones apply.

Should be no problem at all

·
Registered
57 Posts
Decided to have my first oil change at 5000 miles and had the DME WF14 update at that time. I also noticed the same improvements. Fun, fun, fun

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but does DME stand for?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DME - Digital Motor Electronics. Same as ECU, ECM, etc... ;). DME can apply to many functions across the electronics of an auto...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I believe it is the ECU control unit. i.e. the software module.

DME = Digital Motor Electronics
Thanks I've always referred to it as the ECU I tried googling DME but nothing came up for the acronym.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have noticed a significant difference but haven't put my finger on what specifically has changed. But one drawback is I have noticed more roll in corners. Never felt like car would tip until now, no matter how hard I went into a corner. Also has anyone had a problem with the hold button not releasing and preventing the car from moving even under acceleration? It's happened to me 5 or 6 times and I'm hoping the update corrects it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is ther a lit on the forum somewhere of all updates that can be applied to a Macan? I plan to toake mine in for a free fluid check and fill and would love to have a list.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Marc while we both know they will work off our VIN when it goes in for service, I'm w/ you re. a list but crickets thus far, so ........

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
In addition to the new rear washer nozzle, I also got the DME update a couple of days ago. I'm surprised I have not seen more posts on it. Although the dealer is not even sure of the changes and when the release notes are provided to the dealer, like other software updates (e.g. computer, iPhone, etc.), they often lack many of the details. I have noticed a material difference, so thought I would post this to see if it is just in my head. This is what I have noticed:

4) Auto stop / start is vastly improved. A few times this morning on the way to work, I wasn't sure I had it engaged. I normally drive without it because it is so abrupt, but now it engages super fast, I don't feel the restart nearly as much (a few times, I didn't notice it at all).

I'm curious, particulary for #4 , for those that have had the PDK / DME update (WF14), if you have noticed any of these as well. I've heard folks say tha tthe downshift issue was the 'known' fix, but these others also seem to have been addressed. If it is all in my head, at least my insanity is making things better, not worse :D
@Firf After concentrating on it, I am noticing differences.

1. Major one is the Auto Start-Stop. It's doing a much better job of cycling now that it's warmer here, to keep the AC working effectively. I had turned it off for a bit, as my car was getting too warm at stop lights. Now it works effectively.

2. Downshiths do seem smoother. Might be placebo but it really does seem better.

3. Upshifts seem the same to me.

4. Acceleration seems the same to me. But it was already insane for a CUV, so who knows. I rarely floor it for long enough to really tell.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
What month were your cars produced/delivered? Mine was produced on Dec/14 and delivered on Feb/2015 and the dealer told me I have no updates for my VIN.

·
Registered
586 Posts
San mine was produced in Sept., I picked it up on 30 Oct. w/ the update notice emailed to me last week.

Being 160 miles from my dealer, calling Wed. to verify it is the DME update, which I hope to have performed next Tu., HTH.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Wow, we just had our 2016 Macan DME updated and I am pissed. The car has lost its pop and sportiness. Extremely upset. Was it mandatory? No one ever asked our opinion or let us know they were going to do it at a routine service visit. It is my wife’s car and when I drove it a couple days after the service it felt like it wouldn’t move. She was with me and said she noticed the same thing but thought it was her imagination and never told me about it. It is definitely not my imagination. I feel like they have ruined the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts