Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not seen this listed here so thought we might get it rolling.
Seems a lot of TC failures across different P models.
Reading other forums exchanging this fluid is not a bad idea, and relatively easy ?

Dealer says this fluid Is good for 240K km, or 16 years.
On full drain takes 3 Litres of said fluid.
Sunset has this transmission fluid for $67/L
My dealer wants $500 CDN for a full exchange.

So all we need is the plug ( back ordered a month at dealer) and fluid.....and procedure.

Anyone else done this? Seems a good thing to to do if you may be out warranty......

2016 Macan Turbo

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have 59k on my macan and am doing this plus the transmission gear oil and rear diff oil. I had the clutch oil already done by the dealer. I ordered the parts to do this and the quantities the dealer verified was :

transmission gear oil 4.1
transfer case 0.58
rear diff 1.2

I usually get the workshop manual instructions from the tech info piwis site but seems to be saying “billing provider down” so I can’t get the 1hr subscription to get the docs.

Also when I crawled under my macan to check the drain plugs I saw a slight seepage between the tc and the trans output so I’ll be changing the bushings/shaft seals there as well. Definaitly a good thing to check, if I had not check to do the fluid change I would not have noticed the slight leak and with such a small quantity of fluid in the tc a slight leak could mean total failure.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roop.
.58 Gal is 2.2 litres so we are close on that one for TC fluid.

The TC drain plug ....is it magnetic ?
We need a p/n for the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
You don't really need to change the rear differential fluid at 60k miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Coming from the tranny/transfer case joint. You may think it’s early for diff oil change but my brother had his diff fail in a different car at this many miles so I am doing it as preventative maintenance. The gear oil in the tranny says it’s lifetime fluid as well but look up the the dl501 transmission failures and people have had issues and attributed it to the gear oil not being changed. If you search transfer case issues on other forums for cayenne’s or other p cars some dealers are recommending 20k intervals for transfer case! It is .58l for the tc fluid and bonus, I got the instructions as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roop,
Thanks for this , great contribution!

What is your second picture of ? Looks like a cover ?
Glad to see your TC drain valve is in as bad a shape as mine ! Lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
If your vehicle is still under warranty or you have an extended warranty, it might be a good idea to have the dealer do it. I say this because of the issues reported with many Macan transfer cases (including myself). Even out of warranty at least you can say that you serviced it at your Porsche dealership and possibly might be able to have Porsche cough up part of the money in the event that it fails in the future. Either way its a good idea to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No cover underneath mine that I saw.
We dropped the oil cover to gain access to it..... it was not metal.

Am I missing a cover ? That would explain the massive corrosion on the bolt!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have 59k on my macan and am doing this plus the transmission gear oil and rear diff oil. I had the clutch oil already done by the dealer. I ordered the parts to do this and the quantities the dealer verified was :

transmission gear oil 4.1
transfer case 0.58
rear diff 1.2

I usually get the workshop manual instructions from the tech info piwis site but seems to be saying “billing provider down” so I can’t get the 1hr subscription to get the docs.

Also when I crawled under my macan to check the drain plugs I saw a slight seepage between the tc and the trans output so I’ll be changing the bushings/shaft seals there as well. Definaitly a good thing to check, if I had not

check to do the fluid change I would not have noticed the slight leak and with such a small quantity of fluid in the tc a slight leak could mean total failure.
Any chance you can post photos of the location of the tc, with other components in the photo for reference points and arrow showing the tc fill and drain plugs?

I changed my oil this weekend and looked for the tc, but could only identify the PDK plugs. I want to diy the tc fluid, too. Crossing 75K miles . . .

·
Registered
316 Posts
correct instructions.

found out those instructions were for the front diff/trans gear oil, here are the correct ones.

here are the service instructions from the workshop manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is exactly what they are saying, don't know why the dealer told you 3L. The capacity of the transfer case is only .58 L. You may want to ask them.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts