Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Service book says to change spark plugs every 20k miles? iridium tips plugs? Can the person that wrote that look at themselves in the mirror without feeling ridiculous?
Currently In my Macan S( Cobb tuned and upgraded air filters) my spark plugs have approx 40k miles on them. I pulled spark plugs from the number 1 cylinder and 2 others and they looked fine. I have not noticed any gas mileage reduction, no engine skip, my Cobb gauges do not show any differences in EGT’s etc.
So imho as long as you use iridium plugs they do NOT have to changed at 20k intervals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! So much misinformation!!

As noted above, you do not have to remove the torque brace.

You do not have to remove the intake air filters or their housings.

Wobble extensions make the job much "easier". I used them and was glad to have them.

Good luck!
That's impressive if you were able to remove the remove the plugs without sliding up the air box side plate and removing the air filter. I couldn't seem to get the ignition coil out without removing it. Either way, its personal preference to replace the filter element or not, personally mine looked dirty so I replaced it.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Service book says to change spark plugs every 20k miles? iridium tips plugs? Can the person that wrote that look at themselves in the mirror without feeling ridiculous?
Currently In my Macan S( Cobb tuned and upgraded air filters) my spark plugs have approx 40k miles on them. I pulled spark plugs from the number 1 cylinder and 2 others and they looked fine. I have not noticed any gas mileage reduction, no engine skip, my Cobb gauges do not show any differences in EGT’s etc.
So imho as long as you use iridium plugs they do NOT have to changed at 20k intervals.
My information (Attached) says every 30K miles for spark plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Do you change the torque setting when you use a swivel extension?

This video seems to say you need to modify the torque value for swivel extensions (Not for straight extensions)

The formula to adjust your torque wrench setting is:
Setting = (torque wrench length x torque desired) ÷ (torque wrench length + adapter extension length)

I’m not really concerned about over or under torquing the various fasteners due to not adjusting the torque values detailed in this thread. Also I will be using either a straight or wobble extension for those.

However, I will use the Gearwrench 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket for the actual plugs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014ZVSVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thoughts?

·
Registered
101 Posts
My bad... it is not 20k miles, it is 30k. Thanks to the members that caught that. But my point remains? Unless then are misfires etc that would warrant a spark plug change .. the iridium plugs last much longer than what the book recommends. I see no reason at this point not to expect at least 60 k out of the plugs doing normal driving and using good quality gas.
There are of course different environments in which plugs may not last as long.

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Thoughts?
Yes. You're overthinking this. Just torque the plugs to the recommended LB FT. You're not using
such long extensions to make much of a difference. Besides, isn't the spec something like 20 or 22 lb ft?

For Olddragger - You may choose to leave your spark plugs in if you like. Porsche has recommended 30K
change intervals. They may know what they are doing. My plugs looked fine at 30K. Internal resistance? Unknown.

I have a Generac backup generator for my home. Every year or two I need to change its spark plugs. How
do I konw to do so? Because when it runs its weekly self-test, eventually it has issues maintaining its
idle speed - stumbling in the winter cold and possibly stalling, then restarting. Replacing the spark plugs
cures the issue.

You can leave your spark plugs in the Macan and wait til a misfire occurs (which you may or may not detect).
How this would impact any warranty issues is unknown. Failure to follow warranty prescribed maintenance
would possibly put your Macan at some risk...

The cost of a set of spark plugs is "cheap insurance".

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am out of warranty, but you are correct that failure to maintain car per factory schedule could jeprodize a warranty claim. Perhaps I am more of an enthusiast than others in the fact that I do check plugs before I replace them. Yes .. I can check the internal resistance also.
Every engine is going to have some misfires...the kind that you never feel. But watch your exhaust gas temps ... if they start to go up then you can suspect that may be occurring. The Cobb tuner makes it easy.
Guess it is just an old habit of mine from racing rotary engine cars for years. Now they were very plug sensitive. And the plugs were expensive!

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Frequent misfire will trigger an error code?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just completed this task on my '17 S.

I did not unbolt the upper link on the right side, and was able to do the rear plug easily.
On the coolant recovery bottle I only disconnected the electrical connection and held the bottle up over the left valve cover for the rear plug.

The biggest challenge of the job was getting the fastener for the left rear coil started.

This car is quite easy to work on compared to most I've owned over the past four decades.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
When the dealer does the Spark Plug exchange for ....$500 ish....gulp.......do they change the coil packs as well ? Anyone know ?
I would be surprised if they did.
I never heard of a car requiring coil changes as routine maintenance. Plugs, yes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Coil packs can last indefinitely. Why change them before they fail?

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's your money. The dealer will be glad to take it.

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Gotcha....so not required to change coils at 4yrs or 40k ? Per Porche service guide?

Seems you would do this while in there no ?

2016 Macan T

There is no mention of coil packs in the Porsche Maintenance Checklist...

Regarding the $500 charge - the iridium plugs alone are ~$15 apiece, amounting to ~$90 - the rest being
labor. $400 to change plugs does seem rather steep.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Coils fail randomly, and hopefully at very long intervals. Failure of one does NOT indicate you should change all the others proactively.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Regarding the $500 charge - the iridium plugs alone are ~$15 apiece, amounting to ~$90 - the rest being
labor. $400 to change plugs does seem rather steep.
Last year, at the 30K service, my dealer charged $25.74 per plug (X 6), plus the labor (which wasn't broken down by task). At least I got $114 in "VIP" discounts for the day's service, so all the work wasn't completely list price.

But it could be worse. See my post about my lowly, mass-market, Camry (although, yeah, not every 30K):

121 - 140 of 147 Posts