Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
I ordered OEM plugs from Suncoast and they are platinum plugs. Iridium plugs have thinner center iridium tips.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Photo of one of the original plugs. Though all six were in similar condition.
I'm not an expert but, your old plug looks just fine to me.

Do you think the look of your old plug tells you it was time to change plugs? I don't.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not an expert but, your old plug looks just fine to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMYAEtxiYfc

Do you think the look of your old plug tells you it was time to change plugs? I don't.

Am I wrong?
I agree with your assessment, the plugs were fine and most likely could've gone another 10k miles. Had I been the original owner, I wouldn't have changed the plugs. While 22k miles is low, I have no reference as to how the vehicle was driven during that time. Hence why I wanted to establish a baseline. For me, the next change interval will be between 52k-55k miles (roughly 3 years).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did the procedure today. Thanks to all that contributed! Two hours, taking it slow. 32,000mi plugs were great. #6 no problem, thanks to your heads up!

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
I plan to do both spark plugs and PDK fluid change at 40k miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Changed mine today.

Picked up the plugs from my local $tealership to aid in "documentation" of my self service. They looked good showing even burn across all 6 @ 30,400 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why don’t more people use FCPEuro? I have always used them, and living in MA/NH their free shipping option gets my orders here next day. Their prices are usually cheaper than everywhere else, if not about the same, but free lifetime warranty on everything from brakes to oil and filters, wipers, spark plugs everything. Buy a part install it, if it goes bad or is a wearable part, you buy new ones, have them ship the new ones to you, ship them the old ones and you get refunded. Yeah shipping cost, but save up for a big shipment and get a big refund. I send back pads, rotors, oil, plugs, wipers, fuel filters, coolant, water pumps, anything and everything. When I bought my CPO GTS I bought all oem Porsche filters, plugs, etc and it will be the last time I have to pay for them.

FCP is absolutely awesome.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
How do they make money? I feel like ripping them off if I do that. They need to make a living too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Over the years I have paid them a ton of money. They have been my go to for all vw/Audi/Porsche parts. I don’t get how they do it either, but they offer it and are very open about it. So for me it’s a no brainer. I use this for my personal cars only. I do have a shop and get almost all customer parts from them too, but that’s a whole separate account and I don’t do this with customer cars. I would assume they don’t even offer this to their commercial customers, have never asked.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Suncoast is selling Porsche OEM plugs for set of six $99. . .
I believe these are the same Bosch (Porsche part #999-170-151-90 ), which are available from Pelican Parts for $7 (x 6 = $42) or even from Warehouse33auto for $5.70 (x 6 = $34.20).

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Why don’t more people use FCPEuro? I have always used them, and living in MA/NH their free shipping option gets my orders here next day. Their prices are usually cheaper than everywhere else, if not about the same, but free lifetime warranty on everything from brakes to oil and filters, wipers, spark plugs everything. Buy a part install it, if it goes bad or is a wearable part, you buy new ones, have them ship the new ones to you, ship them the old ones and you get refunded. Yeah shipping cost, but save up for a big shipment and get a big refund. I send back pads, rotors, oil, plugs, wipers, fuel filters, coolant, water pumps, anything and everything. When I bought my CPO GTS I bought all oem Porsche filters, plugs, etc and it will be the last time I have to pay for them.

FCP is absolutely awesome.

FCP Euro is selling the 99917023390 plugs for $19.73 each.

This compares with Rock Auto's price of $9.88 each.

FWIW...

;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m sure the rock auto plugs aren’t oem Porsche either, probably Bosch, which are same as oem, but at least I can have receipts for oem Porsche parts. And in that case, replace them once and you have hit the same price and then from then on they would be free.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I changed my plugs on Saturday using Suncoast parts. I changed them at 25K (yes, I know it's early). I read the forum's tips which were helpful. The entire job took 2.5 hours because I took it slow and had a few interruptions. The last 30 minutes were spent on the plug under the coolant reserve tank. Taking off that particular connector from the coil was a pain.

I have worked on cars for many years and although cars have become more complicated, forums like this make the job relatively straight forward. I appreciate the time people spent writing down their experience to help others.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Thanks for the great posts for DIY spark plug change!

I plan to change mine @ 30K miles. S/B ~4 ½ years.

Seems as though mijae28 used a regular 5/16 socket to remove wiring harness bolts instead of a E-10 female Torx. I do not have an E-10 female Torx socket (Or any Female Torx sockets)
I do have a regular 5/16 socket for my ¼ inch ratchet + a 3” extension + a ¼” torque wrench..
Will that be enough for all 6 wiring harness bolts?

I would hate to be in the middle of the spark plug job & discover I need to go & buy a tool.

I just bought the GEARWRENCH 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket recommended by shorton 335.
I also have a ⅝” ratchet & 3” & 6” extensions. {I need to buy a ⅝” torque wrench.}

I have male Torx bits; T-20,T-25, T-30 (& a T-40 which is not mentioned.)
I do not have a T-50 bit & think I need to buy one? Or should it be a T-45?

It is confusing to me that different people seem to be using different sizes of Torx bits.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts

Seems as though mijae28 used a regular 5/16 socket to remove wiring harness bolts instead of a E-10 female Torx. I do not have an E-10 female Torx socket (Or any Female Torx sockets)
I do have a regular 5/16 socket for my ¼ inch ratchet + a 3” extension + a ¼” torque wrench..

I would hate to be in the middle of the spark plug job & discover I need to go & buy a tool.

I just bought the GEARWRENCH 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket recommended by shorton 335.
I also have a ⅝” ratchet & 3” & 6” extensions. {I need to buy a ⅝” torque wrench.}

It is confusing to me that different people seem to be using different sizes of Torx bits.

Thanks!

You will need wobble extensions, rather than a swivel. The issue with the swivel is it allows too much play. I
completed the replacement job using wobble and/or straight 3/8" extensions. As far as the female Torx socket
goes, do yourself a favor and just buy one. I happened to have a couple of female Torx sockets on hand as
a result of having to pull a BMW transmission several years ago. Some of the bolts were accessible only by feel!

You have to get the wiring harness out of the way before you can loosen the Torx bolts for the coils, so no worry
about getting started and getting stuck.

The plug beneath the coolant expansion tank is really the only one that is moderately difficult. And with that one
you'll just need some way of keeping the tank elevated so you can access things beneath it (bolts, coil, plug).
One member mentioned using a bungee cord to hold it up. I ended up using a small block of wood. Getting the
coil 'tube' to release for that plug was an effort, again because of the limited space the ability to exert leverage
was compromised.

Just take your time.

Good luck!

;)

·
Registered
40 Posts

Thanks!

Having the proper tools for any job saves frustrations, headaches, strips, slips and oh Sh*ts. Do yourself a favor and have the right tools for the job (IE: torx bits, extensions, etc.). The last thing you want to do is start stripping heads. An easy job can turn into a nightmare quick. Sounds like you already started with getting the right tools.
Don't stop midway. Good call on making sure you have the proper spark plug socket. Having a torque wrench as a DIY'r is important. You do not want to over tighten plugs! As mentioned above, I used a small bungee cord to pull/hold the coolant reservoir back (towards the passenger side) allowing room. Extensions are your friend especially for the back. The longer the better to clear the "clutter" for turning. Just take your time and don't over think it. Remember.....you can move around the vehicle to reach things. You don't have to just reach over the fender to work. Move around to the front of the engine for a different angle to turn, push and or pull as needed ;). Do the Passenger side first to get the swing of things then do the driver side as it's just a tad bit more involved.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
I bought the female Torx from Amazon. it is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just did my 30K plug change today. With all the good info in this thread, once I dove in I felt like I had already done it before. Bigt thanks to TripleZ and to all others who have contributed.

For my part:

I am a tool junkie so I bought the specific VAG plug socket and extension called for in the WSM. Nice piece but not mandatory. As stated earlier in the thread, it's a real good idea to have an assortment of extensions in various lengths, wobble or otherwise, to make things go smoother.

I didn't have a bungee or an idle human nearby so I used a piece of twine to hold the coolant tank up and out of the way, which made access to the rear plug on the left cylinder bank much simpler.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts
About this Discussion
84 Replies
51 Participants
Fahrer
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing