Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Based on what I read iridium is actually better than platinum and will last 25% longer. For a few bucks more I am not going to be penny wise here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What plugs is everybody ordering? I see you can get OEM plugs at suncoast for $100, but also I see you can get "double platinums" for $49 on rock auto. Arent the OEM plugs iridium's? Or are the double platinums fine.

Hope to hear what plugs you guys are replacing with. Hit 61k miles and need to get the plugs done. Especially before my cobb tune gets installed.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Iridium plugs performan better than platinum plugs, but they don’t last as long.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Iridium plugs performan better than platinum plugs, but they don’t last as long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used this approach as well. I had 29750 on my plugs and was really surprised at how worn they all were after so few miles. Immediately saw a 10% increase in gas mileage so back in the 23-25 MPG range hwy. Got the plugs through SunCoast Motorsport for $99.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quick 5min video of how I changed out my spark plugs. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/FrCs1C6rTX0

Parts:
6 Bosch spark plugs p/n: 99917023390

Tools: T40 male, 5/16 socket, spark plug socket, multiple swivel extensions
What is the torque spec for tightening the spark plugs?

·
Super Moderator
1,873 Posts
What is the torque spec for tightening the spark plugs?

Over in the thread that discusses the spark plug change operation:

People have listed three (3) torque specifications: 25, 28 and 30 Nm - although the 30 Nm figure reportedly came
from a PIWIS node. Those Newton-meter figures correspond to the following ft lb. values: 18.4, 20.6 and 22.1.

My torque wrench only has ft lb. values on it and perhaps other owners wrenches are similar.

I am going to combine this thread with the one noted above, since they're both dealing with the same topic.

;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Over in the thread that discusses the spark plug change operation:

People have listed three (3) torque specifications: 25, 28 and 30 Nm - although the 30 Nm figure reportedly came
from a PIWIS node. Those Newton-meter figures correspond to the following ft lb. values: 18.4, 20.6 and 22.1.

My torque wrench only has ft lb. values on it and perhaps other owners wrenches are similar.

I am going to combine this thread with the one noted above, since they're both dealing with the same topic.

;)

Thank you!! ordering plugs right now to do this hopefully this weekend!

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
20-22 ft-lb won't go wrong. Just make sure to work on cold engine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can confirm, the torque specs on the first post are exactly what I downloaded from the WM -

- New plugs 25 Nm tolerance + 1.5 Nm no lubricant
- Reused plug 31.5 Nm tolerance + 1.5 NM
- Fastening screw ignition coil 10 Nm
- Fastening screw coolant reservoir 5 Nm
- Torque support pan-head aluminum screw 20 Nm + 180 degree turn (requires new screws)

·
Registered
88 Posts
As I recently purchased my CPO Macan GTS, I wanted to conduct a basic service on it to establish a baseline for future service. While the miles were fairly low for a 2-year old vehicle (just hit 22k), I am replacing some of the wear items now or within the next few months. I was going to change the spark plugs on my own but free time is becoming a rare commodity for me. Fast forward, the plugs were replaced this week by my selling dealer. Perhaps it's mental but the car does seem, if slightly, run smoother.

Photo of one of the original plugs. Though all six were in similar condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
So did we ever come to a consensus whether or not iridium plugs are the preferred/oem replacement? Im confused that the OP states:

"Plugs:
Porsche Number: 999.170.233.90
Bosch Number: 0242245585 <---- Use this one to search.
Its an iridium plug with an odd electrode connection.
28 Nm tightening torque
0.700 mm gap (DO NOT STICK A FEELER GAUGE IN THE GAP)"

But those part numbers lead to double platinum plugs? So for those who have pulled their plugs were they platinums or iridiums?

As an added question for those who have tuned with cobb etc... have you thought about or tried brisk silver racing plugs? Those are what I currently run on my tuned s4. TIA

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
I ordered OEM plugs from Suncoast and they are platinum plugs. Iridium plugs have thinner center iridium tips.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Photo of one of the original plugs. Though all six were in similar condition.
I'm not an expert but, your old plug looks just fine to me.

Do you think the look of your old plug tells you it was time to change plugs? I don't.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not an expert but, your old plug looks just fine to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMYAEtxiYfc

Do you think the look of your old plug tells you it was time to change plugs? I don't.

Am I wrong?
I agree with your assessment, the plugs were fine and most likely could've gone another 10k miles. Had I been the original owner, I wouldn't have changed the plugs. While 22k miles is low, I have no reference as to how the vehicle was driven during that time. Hence why I wanted to establish a baseline. For me, the next change interval will be between 52k-55k miles (roughly 3 years).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did the procedure today. Thanks to all that contributed! Two hours, taking it slow. 32,000mi plugs were great. #6 no problem, thanks to your heads up!

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
I plan to do both spark plugs and PDK fluid change at 40k miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Changed mine today.

Picked up the plugs from my local $tealership to aid in "documentation" of my self service. They looked good showing even burn across all 6 @ 30,400 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why don’t more people use FCPEuro? I have always used them, and living in MA/NH their free shipping option gets my orders here next day. Their prices are usually cheaper than everywhere else, if not about the same, but free lifetime warranty on everything from brakes to oil and filters, wipers, spark plugs everything. Buy a part install it, if it goes bad or is a wearable part, you buy new ones, have them ship the new ones to you, ship them the old ones and you get refunded. Yeah shipping cost, but save up for a big shipment and get a big refund. I send back pads, rotors, oil, plugs, wipers, fuel filters, coolant, water pumps, anything and everything. When I bought my CPO GTS I bought all oem Porsche filters, plugs, etc and it will be the last time I have to pay for them.

FCP is absolutely awesome.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts